Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 AM

24 posts, read 131,917 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Orlando and have only lived elsewhere during my college years and for the time I spent working at my first job. It's annoying that there's so much negativity on this site towards Orlando and it seems that the majority of the people that congregate here have some of the most disturbing attitudes towards the city. There will always be issues with a city that's growing like ours and we may never settle down into the city we once were. There's no reason, however, to spit in the face of the place we call home.

Here are a things I love about Orlando ...
1) The lakes - There's nothing better than being out on the water for a day of skiing or just cruising. It's also the best way to spend a 4th of July watching fireworks in all directions.
2) The food - To say that the food in this city is slop these days means you don't get around much. So many great places have opened up that it's impossible to get to them all. Among the affordable places that everyone should try are Carmela's and Red Bamboo on Kirkman, Yellow Dog in Gotha, and Press 101 in Dr. Phillips (I live on the west side of town).
3) The entertainment - Some of our venues aren't great (but soon will be), but there's plenty of great entertainment in town. The festivals are great too ... Fringe, Florida Film, Winter Park Art, Food and Wine, etc.
4) Jobs - I may be skewed since I work in Information Technology, where there are more jobs than people, it seems. But with all the growth in the area, there is ample opportunity to find a great job in the area.
5) The beaches - Let's see, an hour or so either way gets us to the beach.
6) State Parks - If you haven't been to Wekiva or Lake Louisa State park for a day of hiking or simply a picnic amongst the old Orlando wilderness, you're missing out. Book a cabin at Lake Louisa and you'll feel like you're back in Orlando from 20 years ago.
7) Airport - Of all the airports I've been to in the world, Orlando's is one of the easiest to get to and get around in once you're there. Just think of Denver and Atlanta if you want examples of what not to like ...

I'd go on, but I've got to get back to work at some point ...

I fully expect a negative response to this and for those people that choose to be angry at a city they no longer care about to poke holes in each of my ideas. That doesn't bother me. I've lived here for 25 years and have found a lifestyle that is both rewarding and full of happiness and great entertainment. For those that can't manage such a lifestyle ... I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,633 times
We all have different views, different experiences, different financial situations, and different areas of town we live in, so not everyone is going to agree about things on here......i never tell other people to stop saying how good thier lives are here......my life is as good as i make it everyday even without money and things that middle class people have like credit cards....i enjoy my life in my area of Orlando at the moment but when i leave the house and go to work there are some things that i have no control over, and those things are the crime in the city and the peoples bad/selfish attitudes in Orlando....of coarse there are nice people in my life at work and such but when you encounter strangers in Orlando people have attitudes like they think thier too good to say hi back to you if you wave at them and they act like they cant wait thier turn in traffic situations....road rage is terrible here compared to alot of other states and some states might be worse but it is bad here....and a spike in crime is a fact living here if you cant afford a house out in Lake Nona and Windemere.....i hear stories on the news about things involiving crime here ...and i am always looking over my shoulder at the gas stations and such......its not like crime has to touch you everyday of your life to change your life....it only has to happen one time to change the coarse of your life.....well i do love the activities there is to do in Orlando ....alot of them i cant enjoy because like i said before "we dont all come from the same place in finances and such"...but there are free things to do also with the exception of high gas prices......but anyways ....i love the weather here and being in Florida because its my home state........there are plenty malls to go windowshopping at...and diverse areas of town that are cool to look at ......i dont think i would say people are complaining if they are just reporting a situation or inccedent they have seen on the news....or if they are reporting an actuall inccedent of rudeness in thier life in Orlando.....it would be complaining if we were saying that we had all these emotions about what's happening......i personally dont share emotions about anything involving crime....i just report that...the only complaint i have is about why Purto Ricans that live in Oraldno dont put the american flag up next to thieR pUERTo Rican flag

Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM

239 posts, read 799,469 times
gatorace,

It's no secret to anyone who reads my posts that I am in no way, shape or form a fan of Orlando. Not even a little tiny bit. My official stance is that Orlando is a cesspool unfit for human living encased by a counterculture that diminishes traditional American values.

The only two things I can agree with from your list is the entertainment and access to the beaches (no matter how many times you guys say it or want it to be true - there are no beaches in Orlando!)

Orlando does not have a monopoly on the rest of the list. I wish those who choose to live in PuertOrlando the best of luck, and I'm really glad they like it here. However, if you are an upper middle-class family with a combined income of $200k or more, there are far better places to live with access to real culture.

I'm sorry, but a PR flag printed on a CD hanging from the mirror of a Honda Civic is not diversity or culture in my book. It's just disgusting and trashy.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,141 times
I enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for your thoughts. I also grew up here and still enjoy it even though I have seen the changes. I think it is interesting that we both grew up here and still enjoy it even though it has changed so much. Maybe we feel a sense of loyalty? Either way, there is so much to do for me and my family and that is what I love about Orlando so much.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:43 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times
"I'm sorry, but a PR flag printed on a CD hanging from the mirror of a Honda Civic is not diversity or culture in my book. It's just disgusting and trashy."

correct again.

i like the chicks here, although i am married (happily) i often get smiles and glances from chicks and even older women. they are flirty here in orlando, and a lot of them are good looking. there is a lot going for orlando, there are just a few BIG things holding it back from being good (overall). i think you know by now what my beefs are with orlando... but there are some good things about orlando:

jobs- decent. could be better
pay- see above
entertainment- very good
beaches- close enough
aesthetically - downtown is good. bodering areas arent too good. but overall, it is decent.
c.o.l. - too high for the pay.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:30 PM

56 posts, read 314,189 times
Thanks Gatorace. To each his or her own but I love reading positive things about Orlando LOL

Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I knew this thread would bring out the Orlando and/or Florida haters.....I wasn't disappointed.

Thanks Gatorace for pointing out the good. It gets real boring reading the same negative blah blah blah all the time.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
You've never lived anywhere else. Enough said!!!!
Well, I've lived in South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia (twice in 2 different cities), Tennessee and California. I've also lived in Tampa for 3 years. I've lived in Orlando for almost 25 years and it is FAR and ABOVE the best place I've ever lived in my opinion. And that's just what these are opinions. Mine is no better than anyone's elses.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times
LOL - that just proves the old saying is true--you may be chained to the porch but you can still bark at the passing cars.

---------------

i like the chicks here, although i am married (happily) i often get smiles and glances from chicks and even older women. they are flirty here in orlando, and a lot of them are good looking.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 PM

207 posts, read 926,202 times
Gatorace,

Thank you for starting this positive thread. It's a welcome change around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando