Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Orange County also has the second highest number of domestic violence cases in the state, and a similar number to Dade County, but since Dade has 2.5x as many people that actually makes Orange County the number one in the state for domestic violence per capita
I made the argument not even 2-3 weeks ago that Orlando was a dangerous city and people told me that these online stories were false and that Orlando was truly like Disney World, minus a handful of neighborhoods. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 AM

10,091 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandielprfloridian View Post
Totally agree ...if you don't look for it or aren't around them or flashing yourself like you have billions of dollars you'd be fine ...Orlando has some really nice parts .
How does walking around with thousand of dollars worth of camera equipment will make me look? Because that is why I'm reconsidering, I was going to go down there for a month mostly to photograph interesting social sceneries around the metro area, but since there is no way to know when you're in a nice-looking-but-dangerous neighborhood, then its best for me to not take the risk.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
How does walking around with thousand of dollars worth of camera equipment will make me look? Because that is why I'm reconsidering, I was going to go down there for a month mostly to photograph interesting social sceneries around the metro area, but since there is no way to know when you're in a nice-looking-but-dangerous neighborhood, then its best for me to not take the risk.
I do it regularly. My day-to-day rig is $4500 that's without a speed light and if only have one camera and lens with me.

Lot's of people with high end gear around here, you aren't special.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 PM

31 posts, read 49,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
How does walking around with thousand of dollars worth of camera equipmentwill make me look? Because that is why I'm reconsidering, I was going to go down there for a month mostly to photograph interesting social sceneries around the metro area, but since there is no way to know when you're in ia nice-looking-but-dangerous neighborhood, then its best for me to not take the risk.
In this case I agree with you ....I've been in downtown many, many times .it's not hood or gangster ,but there are a lot of people walking up and down certain tourist areas and club and bar areas especially around church street station. Then there's other areas in downtown where its super quiet. I wouldn't say any of these areas are "dangerous " but you just never know ...I wouldn't go to any city (no matter where it is) that I'm unfamiliar with with expensive equipment walking around taking pictures unless you have several people in your group with you and even then professional pickpocketers may snatch something or someone could follow you. Got to use street smarts.
Around the bus station are a whole bunchh of homeless people ,most are harmless but there's always one crazy lunatic in a group . I had one guy started yelling and screaming at me at of nowhere one day when I used to take the downtown buses ,he seriously scared the **** out of me because it was unexpected , I was ready to defend myself in case he came at me , he walked away though like nothing happened. Typically you're fine but I think a lot of people who have been everywhere in any city TraveIing to work every day using public transportation has experienced something because you are around areas which people driving through never experience.

Last edited by Yandielprfloridian; 06-30-2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 PM

31 posts, read 49,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I do it regularly. My day-to-day rig is $4500 that's without a speed light and if only have one camera and lens with me.

Lot's of people with high end gear around here, you aren't special.
If you do this regularly then you're familiar with the area ,an out of towner may find himself near areas which may be prone to suspicious activity.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandielprfloridian View Post
If you do this regularly then you're familiar with the area ,an out of towner may find himself near areas which may be prone to suspicious activity.
It's really not that difficult to determine the safety of an area. Even if it looks nice, if people are hanging around on the corners or every other house has a beater of a car in the driveway, it's probably not an area you want to venture into.

I have friends who live in some iffier areas who are professional photographers and regularly carry tens of thousands of gear with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando