U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,898 times

Advertisements

Hey, I've been in Florida since I was born, I'm 21 now and I'm around the Treasure Coast area, I haven't really traveled around much but I don't find much to do in my current town Roseland, I'm wanting a more young cultural active places I can go too, with things open all the time, things going on like festivals every now and then and stuff.

I was thinking Orlando or Tampa as they seem to be really popular and big.

I had a few questions about Orlando.

What's the Muisc scene like up there? Is there any live playing and stuff going on, concerts or bands ever?

How's the diversity of food?

Are there alot of young people active doing things?

Are there good colleges there?

Are there alot of cool stores and places to go, things to go to?

Are there alot of events going on?

I know the questions are kind of normal, I just want to get an idea what it's like there.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM

329 posts, read 642,108 times
I've lived in Orlando for about half a year and this city to me is a very awesome city for young adults to live in, contrary to the ranking popular media gives us as one of the worst places to live for young professionals, I actually love it here.

I don't want to mislead you on these questions so I will leave the answers to those who have lived here longer than simply half a year since I honestly wouldn't know half of the answers!

Like any major city though, Orlando has it's strengths and problems. I can tell you that traffic here is crazy during rush hour but to add on to that sometimes during midday near Disney for obvious reasons, but basically just like any other Floridian city, we have ridiculous traffic. But to counter that traffic, we have (in my opinion being a civil engineer) a highly competitive "vehicle oriented" network. Our roads, tollways, etc are for the most part very up to date, and we even continue to add on to our growing toll road network given Florida's small transportation budget.

I for one with 2 kids and a wife, we all love it here and could see us staying!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,070,836 times
Your best bet is to come visit and stay here for a week, preferably downtown. I can pretty much answer "yes" to every question you asked, though. If you want to get an idea of what's going on here, check out Orlando Weekly and The Daily City.

I'm the same age as you and I love it here. Orlando is home to the second largest university in the nation, so there's plenty of young people here.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Your best bet is to come visit and stay here for a week, preferably downtown. I can pretty much answer "yes" to every question you asked, though. If you want to get an idea of what's going on here, check out [URL="http://orlandoweekly.com/"]Orlando Weekly[/URL] and [URL="http://www.thedailycity.com/"]The Daily City[/URL].

I'm the same age as you and I love it here. Orlando is home to the second largest university in the nation, so there's plenty of young people here.
Woah, I didn't know that! I have been planning to go to a college for a while but didn't have the funds, but I've saved up enough now.

Your right I should probably take a trip down there, it's around 200 miles away I think. I have half a year rent left to pay at my current place, so I gotto stay here till then before I plan to move. But taking a trip is definitely doable lol

Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 PM

291 posts, read 464,716 times
I attend UCF and I love it here. I moved here two years ago just to attend this school and be near Disney/Universal. There's always a bunch of things to do, trust me... A lot of famous people come here to perform and whatnot, also. But yes, definitely come for a visit! The only problem I have is the traffic.. it can get really crazy.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 6,077 times
I've been in Orlando all my Life & I'm ready to go!!! I mean the Job market is comin along slowly.When I was younger I had fun now I'm 28. You'll have to come down & check it out tho!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 12,926,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayim View Post
Woah, I didn't know that! I have been planning to go to a college for a while but didn't have the funds, but I've saved up enough now.

Your right I should probably take a trip down there, it's around 200 miles away I think. I have half a year rent left to pay at my current place, so I gotto stay here till then before I plan to move. But taking a trip is definitely doable lol
If you're taking about Roseland near Sebastian it's more like 90 miles away

Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM

4,167 posts, read 8,691,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayim View Post
Hey, I've been in Florida since I was born, I'm 21 now and I'm around the Treasure Coast area, I haven't really traveled around much but I don't find much to do in my current town Roseland, I'm wanting a more young cultural active places I can go too, with things open all the time, things going on like festivals every now and then and stuff.

I was thinking Orlando or Tampa as they seem to be really popular and big.

I had a few questions about Orlando.

What's the Muisc scene like up there? Is there any live playing and stuff going on, concerts or bands ever?
From what I've heard and know, there is a small but growing live music scene. There are a few live music venues downtown and in the Mills/50 district that seem to have live bands every week or multiple times a week.

How's the diversity of food?
Most people think Orlando is all chain restaurants, which there is some truth too, we do have just about every chain here, but that's not the whole truth. I think we have a fairly good food scene here, or course it's not NYC, CHI or BOS but we do have some very good locally owned restaurants all over the area. If you like Latin food, we have plenty of that with great options. We have a fairly good Asian food scene here as well from Thai to Vietnamese to Korean to Sushi to Chinese we pretty much have it all. Sushi here is really good for a city this size IMO. Than there are random other ethnic cuisines sprinkled throughout the area from Indian to Turkish to Brazilian. Best food enclaves, Sand Lake Restaurant Row and Park Ave in Winter Park.

Are there alot of young people active doing things?
There are a ton of of activities and events for young people here, you just have to know where to look. Countless networking events, Orlando Sports Social and various Arts organizations.

Are there good colleges there?
Fairly decent amount of college students here between UCF, Rollins, Fullsail, Stetson, Valencia and Seminole State.

Are there alot of cool stores and places to go, things to go to?
It's Orlando...so YES. It all just depends on what your type of thing is. There are cool little hip stores on Ivanhoe and College Park, chic high end stuff on Park Ave and at Mall of Millenia, standard malls, huge outlet malls. If you like theme parks we top the lists. If not, there are great water sports on the Lakes here, natural springs, beaches nearby, Magic games, national concerts regularly, nightlife, you name it.

Are there alot of events going on?
YES...an again it comes down to what your thing is. There are always fairs, festivals, community events here etc. But it's all about staying in the loop, finding what interests you, and most importantly getting out to the events to enjoy. I love the abundance of things to do here, but I'll be completely honest, some weeks, after a long work week, it's easier to just stay at home and watch football all weekend. But unless you're just not trying it would be hard to not find something to do here.

I know the questions are kind of normal, I just want to get an idea what it's like there.

Thanks
Hopefully this info is useful to you. I answered your questions so it may seems it's all fun and games here but as others have indicated there are alot of negatives to living here. Traffic, congestion, lagging economy being the worst, but to me the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM

3,736 posts, read 4,477,897 times
lol @goodcolleges.... but there are at least, some, colleges.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM

97 posts, read 214,091 times
It sucks.

Hope this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando