Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
even for electronics? Amazon and newegg make it so easy though
I'm not in the market for electronics, and even if I was, yes, I'd buy from a locally owned business than one of the big boxes. (I have in the past. My dishwasher was the last major appliance/electronic item I bought, it came from Southeast Steel only because the appliance place in Clermont didn't carry the American made brand I wanted.)

Most of them have buying consortiums with other small businesses and can offer similar pricing. And even if it's $20 more, I'd rather know that my money was going to support my neighbor instead of some CEO making $12M a year plus options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM

206 posts, read 414,949 times
I'm going to try to shop small business this season as well - not just for the principal, but Christmas has kind of been ruined for me the last few years when it's just the exchange of electronics and predictable gifts straight off of a list. That said, I don't have any teenagers or kids on my list so that makes it easier!!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM

206 posts, read 414,949 times
Black Friday is a whole other story. I'll never understand it. It does make me feel like a genius though to watch people go through that hassle for the same deals that I can find. One of the big ones at Best Buy is a 40" Toshiba TV for 179.99. Some kid and his family are waiting in line since this past SATURDAY for this deal (among others).

A few weeks ago I purchased a 46" Element tv for $250.00 through Newegg. It's refurbished but I got a warranty with it. It was down from 599 to 399 and had a $150 rebate. While those things may scare some people, it's far less scary for me than hanging out on that stretch of East Colonial at 2AM in a tent.

Work smart, not hard.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm not in the market for electronics, and even if I was, yes, I'd buy from a locally owned business than one of the big boxes. (I have in the past. My dishwasher was the last major appliance/electronic item I bought, it came from Southeast Steel only because the appliance place in Clermont didn't carry the American made brand I wanted.)

Most of them have buying consortiums with other small businesses and can offer similar pricing. And even if it's $20 more, I'd rather know that my money was going to support my neighbor instead of some CEO making $12M a year plus options.
I'm not in the market for electronics either so that makes it easy. I also just bought appliances and opted with Aggressive Appliances in Orlando versus the big-box stores. Not to go off topic but found this interesting for those who aren't aware of the economics involved....The 3/50 Project ::: Home

Last edited by kyle19125; 11-20-2012 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm not in the market for electronics either so that makes it easy. I also just bought appliances and opted with Aggressive Appliances in Orlando versus the big-box stores. Not to go off topic but found this interesting those who aren't aware of the economics involved....The 3/50 Project ::: Home
Great link Kyle!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I've done the Black Friday shopping for years and have never seen in person the mass hysteria that they show on TV. I guess it's because I avoid places like Walmart and Target.

A few years back I got a CD burner for $10...still works great.
Got a pair of Timberland boots for $19.95. Deal are there if you look for them.

The main people we buy for are moving during Christmas so we're getting them gift cards so #1...that's less stuff they have to move and #2...they can get what they want for their new place when they get there.

I buy local when I can but the big box employees need jobs too. So I'm not going to get into that argument.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning New Egg. Looks like I may be getting a TV from there soon!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Thanks for mentioning New Egg. Looks like I may be getting a TV from there soon!
Love the egg..... They have pretty good prices and promos sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando