Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,645 times

Advertisements

Oresident, you do make some good points. Yes, I do believe a medical center will bring some much needed brainpower to the area but I don't believe it will be very revolutionary in itself.

However, if educated people really made that much difference, why would Seminole county be in relative doldrums? Granted, it isn't the giant suckage of Orange County and the rest of the metro area but there aren't alot of attempts to create sustainable communities out here. Especially in Oviedo. The local employment situation in Oviedo is poor for middle-class jobs, unless you are an engineer. This place has alot of suppossedly educated, monied people... and they go to the same chain restaurants everybody else does for the most part.

What they do build are selfish indulgences for themselves, such as horse parks and olympic swimming pools. These do not benefit the majority of people who live here. Things like more roads and road improvements, however, would help alot more. Traffic is bad at rush hour even though Oviedo is a relatively small city. There are simply not enough roads, especially for people making local trips. As places like Chuluota or the university grow, it only makes the situation worse. But Oviedo blows money on horse parks and Olympic swimming pools for the upper crust here; the priorities are certainly not democratic. I vote against these clowns but the issues always seem to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 AM

61 posts, read 263,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Oresident, you do make some good points. Yes, I do believe a medical center will bring some much needed brainpower to the area but I don't believe it will be very revolutionary in itself.

However, if educated people really made that much difference, why would Seminole county be in relative doldrums? Granted, it isn't the giant suckage of Orange County and the rest of the metro area but there aren't alot of attempts to create sustainable communities out here. Especially in Oviedo. The local employment situation in Oviedo is poor for middle-class jobs, unless you are an engineer. This place has alot of suppossedly educated, monied people... and they go to the same chain restaurants everybody else does for the most part.

What they do build are selfish indulgences for themselves, such as horse parks and olympic swimming pools. These do not benefit the majority of people who live here. Things like more roads and road improvements, however, would help alot more. Traffic is bad at rush hour even though Oviedo is a relatively small city. There are simply not enough roads, especially for people making local trips. As places like Chuluota or the university grow, it only makes the situation worse. But Oviedo blows money on horse parks and Olympic swimming pools for the upper crust here; the priorities are certainly not democratic. I vote against these clowns but the issues always seem to pass.
Oviedo is just a suburb so I don't know if the employment situation within its boundaries really indicates much. The people there obviously work somewhere. Maybe you've been around Oviedo longer so you aren't seeing change as fast as you'd like, but from my perspective it looks like it has potential. It DOES seem to have less hurrendous strip malls full of chains than the less educated parts of Orlando. Granted, there are strip malls, but the restaurants often are not chains (aside from perhaps the mall, but all malls are like that). Oviedo seems to be able build things too without plowing down beautiful trees everywhere and replacing them with disgusting tacky little palm trees.

All in all, I think it just takes time for the effects of educated people to accumulate. Look across from UCF a little south of Oviedo and you'll see a whole lot of non-chains. The great cities weren't built in a few years. But having that core of educated people is very promising for the future. It will only get better in those areas.

The indulgences here aren't that different from the indulgences of people anywhere with enough money to indulge and a lot space. But the reason educated communities flourish is not because they are all wonderful civic-minded people. It's because they want things and they can pay for them. And just as they want horse parks and swimming pools, they want places to go and things to do. So those are on the way. The more educated people come, the better. And it's not because I think they are wonderful people.

ores

Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 AM

54 posts, read 249,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Of coarse the people who are living out in 300k homes in towns like Windemere or Lake Nona will say they see this as the best place ever.......in the whole U.S.A.....LOL.......That can be said for rich people in every city in the country....they will all say their cities are the best ever.......If you dont work in the service industry or some other low level job then you really have no say in how bad/good it is for the average local living in a cheap apartment complex......I have learned to enjoy my life being poor for most of it even without the extra money and my faith in God helps me to see hard times as a blessing in some ways , but it's kinda frustrating knowing that you can be 30-40 years old living in Orlando and have to work 2 jobs just to make ends meet and then not ever having money to put aside for any kinda future for your kids.......there are so many people in Orlando that could do better if they lived somewhere else, but for us that dont have a degree (and even then) or some kind of 2 year experience in a good paying type job....well we are the majority in Orlando and our voices dont get heard......money talks, so why dont all the rich people complain about crime in thier neighborhood?...well because they really dont see it......there are as many bad areas in Orlando as there are good....its hard to say that for all the other cities in the U.S.......I can only name a handfull with the same amount of bad areas vs. good
I work in the service industry. I started out with no money working at an entry level low wage position. Living in an apartment in Kissimmee on Columbia Ave. with roommates to make ends meet. We made the best of it. Along with a lifetime friendships. The people that worked hard and were responsible moved to better paying positions. The people that didn't want to sacrifice or lived irresponsibly didn't make it.

That's what I like about the service industry. The overwhelming majority of people doing well in the service industry started out washing dishes, carrying luggage, making beds, picking up towels at the pool & serving food. Not too many free passes.

Don't try to judge me because I now live in one of those 300k plus houses. I paid my dues. I know the real deal. These trivial excuses & exaggerations of the facts from these naysayers fall on deaf ears, because I know it's BS. I've been hearing the same lame excuses from the "I got to have it right now" crowd for 30 years.

The I'm overqualified lame excuse is my personal favorite though.

Last edited by stugots32837; 10-15-2007 at 03:02 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 03:24 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots32837 View Post
I work in the service industry. I started out with no money working at an entry level low wage position. Living in an apartment in Kissimmee on Columbia Ave. with roommates to make ends meet. We made the best of it. Along with a lifetime friendships. The people that worked hard and were responsible moved to better paying positions. The people that didn't want to sacrifice or lived irresponsibly didn't make it.

That's what I like about the service industry. The overwhelming majority of people doing well in the service industry started out washing dishes, carrying luggage, making beds, picking up towels at the pool & serving food. Not too many free passes.

Don't try to judge me because I now live in one of those 300k plus houses. I paid my dues. I know the real deal. These trivial excuses & exaggerations of the facts from these naysayers fall on deaf ears, because I know it's BS. I've been hearing the same lame excuses from the "I got to have it right now" crowd for 30 years.

The I'm overqualified lame excuse is my personal favorite though.

How does this relate to my life in these times in Orlando?..........that's good that you made it....the point of me saying you live in a 300k house isnt to down you.....its to say that you have no idea about whats going on in the lower -middle class and poor areas these days in Orlando involving crime and the attitudes of people around here....the "fact" is that there has been a spike in crime here in the last 2 years and Orlando is growing and becoming a big city ......its not going to be the same ......the criminals are more brasen then ever here in Orlando....and people that live out in the boondocks havent felt it as much yet but they will in a couple years .......and if people say where is the spike in crime then they are just being ridiculous because it is the subject that is talked about nowadays in meetings with the Police in Orlando and in the local government in Orlando

Old 10-15-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
How does this relate to my life in these times in Orlando?..........that's good that you made it....the point of me saying you live in a 300k house isnt to down you.....its to say that you have no idea about whats going on in the lower -middle class and poor areas these days in Orlando involving crime and the attitudes of people around here....the "fact" is that there has been a spike in crime here in the last 2 years and Orlando is growing and becoming a big city ......its not going to be the same ......the criminals are more brasen then ever here in Orlando....and people that live out in the boondocks havent felt it as much yet but they will in a couple years .......and if people say where is the spike in crime then they are just being ridiculous because it is the subject that is talked about nowadays in meetings with the Police in Orlando and in the local government in Orlando
Are you kiddin me? Crack, meth, huffing, heroin, murder, rape, assault, robbery & gangs are all new? I've never seen that stuff before. I can't relate to that stuff. Look up an issue of an Orlando Sentinel from any day during the last 35 years & tell me today is that much different.

Orlando has been growing into a city since the invention of A/C. What's new there? Don't act like Orlando just started to grow 5 years ago.

There has been a spike in crime recently that is being addressed, even by your own admission with police & community leaders. We as citizens are addressing it in our community by education, prevention, being more vigilant & beefed up patrols from police. Crime spikes & dips all the time, this is nothing new.

How about volunteering for citizens on patrol & give up the crusade on portraying Orlando as a ghetto.

Last edited by stugots32837; 10-15-2007 at 05:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Are you kiddin me? Crack, meth, huffing, heroin, murder, rape, assault, robbery & gangs are all new. I've never seen that stuff before. I can't relate to that stuff. Look up an issue of an Orlando Sentinel from any day during the last 35 years & tell me today is that much different.

Orlando has been growing into a city since the invention of A/C. What's new there. Don't act like Orlando just started to grow 5 years ago.

There has been a spike in crime recently that is being addressed, even by your own admission with police & community leaders. We as citizens are addressing it in our community by education, prevention, being more vigilant & beefed up patrols from police. Crime spikes & dips all the time, this is nothing new.

How about volunteering for citizens on patrol & give up the crusade on portraying Orlando as a ghetto.

Crack wasn't around 35 years ago in Orlando.......huffing has only been an issue for the last 10-15 years in the teenage population......how about i dont have the time or money for that citizen patrol thing due to my work schedule and me not being able to afford to miss any work....Maybe some higher income people can stop playing golf and help out with that free time.....when in the history of Orlando has there been as many teens commiting violent crimes as there are today?......its not the 80's ......of coarse there has always been crime but as time goes by criminals become colder in higher numbers......it used to be a shock to everyone when kids would shoot up a school back in the 90's in Denver......now there are more and more school shootings and its not that big of a deal compared to before.....of coarse its a big deal to peoples' families that had a victim but the kids that see this happening only get more brave because they know someone else did it and now they can and the more it happens the more society is desensitized .......things are going on today differently compared to when you ...or even i was a teen.....its a fact......older dudes are recruiting younger teens to do thier violent dirty work nowadays in higher numbers than before because they know those teens wont get too much time in jail.....things have changed in Orlando .....its not just a dip in crime and a rise in crime throughout time....people are being victims .....numbers arent being victims....people are.....just saying that its normal compared to the rest of Orlando's history is kinda blowing the issue off that we do live in a dangerous city....actually ranked 7th in the nation earlier this year......this is america.....there arent any better countries to up and move to to get away from crime if you arent rich....so when things start getting bad close to the place where 48 million tourists visit every year then where else do you go to .......ill tell you where to go.....there is 100's of areas safer than Orlando in the U.S. ....Just because the Notoriously dangerous areas in the northeast are seemingly worse...by word of mouth ....doesnt mean there arent safer and better areas then Orlando .....i like it here but am tired of the place turning into a place where transients come here and dump thier garbage and leave and make it more acceptable for newer transient people to do worse.....Example.....a brand new Super Walmart just opened on Turkey Lake road about 2 months ago..well now when i go there after work the parking lot looks like everyones litterbox....trash...debris..cups on the ground everywhere.....and carts are all over the place because people are too lazy here to care about putting them in thier proper place......This kind of stuff doesnt happen in "ALL" nice areas around the country so dont say that Elgin Illinois has that kind of litter in thier new stores parking lot after 2 months and that stores in San Ramon California have that kind of disrespectfull population littering everywhere......fact is that there are "alot" of places better at having respect for thier community then Orlando

Old 10-15-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Crack wasn't around 35 years ago in Orlando.......huffing has only been an issue for the last 10-15 years in the teenage population......how about i dont have the time or money for that citizen patrol thing due to my work schedule and me not being able to afford to miss any work....Maybe some higher income people can stop playing golf and help out with that free time.....when in the history of Orlando has there been as many teens commiting violent crimes as there are today?......its not the 80's ......of coarse there has always been crime but as time goes by criminals become colder in higher numbers......it used to be a shock to everyone when kids would shoot up a school back in the 90's in Denver......now there are more and more school shootings and its not that big of a deal compared to before.....of coarse its a big deal to peoples' families that had a victim but the kids that see this happening only get more brave because they know someone else did it and now they can and the more it happens the more society is desensitized .......things are going on today differently compared to when you ...or even i was a teen.....its a fact......older dudes are recruiting younger teens to do thier violent dirty work nowadays in higher numbers than before because they know those teens wont get too much time in jail.....things have changed in Orlando .....its not just a dip in crime and a rise in crime throughout time....people are being victims .....numbers arent being victims....people are.....just saying that its normal compared to the rest of Orlando's history is kinda blowing the issue off that we do live in a dangerous city....actually ranked 7th in the nation earlier this year......this is america.....there arent any better countries to up and move to to get away from crime if you arent rich....so when things start getting bad close to the place where 48 million tourists visit every year then where else do you go to .......ill tell you where to go.....there is 100's of areas safer than Orlando in the U.S. ....Just because the Notoriously dangerous areas in the northeast are seemingly worse...by word of mouth ....doesnt mean there arent safer and better areas then Orlando .....i like it here but am tired of the place turning into a place where transients come here and dump thier garbage and leave and make it more acceptable for newer transient people to do worse.....Example.....a brand new Super Walmart just opened on Turkey Lake road about 2 months ago..well now when i go there after work the parking lot looks like everyones litterbox....trash...debris..cups on the ground everywhere.....and carts are all over the place because people are too lazy here to care about putting them in thier proper place......This kind of stuff doesnt happen in "ALL" nice areas around the country so dont say that Elgin Illinois has that kind of litter in thier new stores parking lot after 2 months and that stores in San Ramon California have that kind of disrespectfull population littering everywhere......fact is that there are "alot" of places better at having respect for thier community then Orlando
You're more misinformed than I thought. Crack took off in the 80s with a big spike in crime, which is over 20 years ago & not new, but was known as freebasing(known as the process of turning powder coke into what now is known as crack) in the 60s & 70s.

I see you have enough time to complain about crime, but not to do anything about it. It's always somebody elses problem.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
You're more misinformed than I thought. Crack took off in the 80s with a big spike in crime, which is over 20 years ago & not new, but was known as freebasing(known as the process of turning powder coke into what now is known as crack) in the 60s & 70s.

I see you have enough time to complain about crime, but not do anything about it.

35 YEARS ago = ORLANDO didn't have crack......oh now i remember all the crackheads in Orlando back in 72'

you been on here the same amount of time....dont play like you dont have other important things either....we all have a little free time and we do things like this to entertain our brains ......if my schedule was different maybe i would go be a security rent a cop with no power to really do anything for a couple hours but im sorry chief.....i get out of work from anywhere around 3:40am - 5am.....so i really dont know who can use my citizens patrol from 6am-9am in my doing chores resting after work time......you have free time to ....why are you always on this site?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 AM

872 posts, read 1,712,744 times
The Wal Marts in orlando are filthy and mention was made of the parking lots. I cannot think of a more telling way to judge a community than by the parking lot appearance. There are carriage/cart returns all over the place and no one uses them. Many people don't even park the carts on the grass where they won't smash into someone's car. The slobs in Orlando just leave them in parking spaces.."Hey thanks..I'll just get out of my car and move it for you". McD's wrappers, cigarette butts, and beer bottles strewn throughout the grounds. Welfare moms with eight kids moving slowly and cluelessly through the store with no sense of awareness. Loud screaming in Spanish. Unattended boxes strategically placed in the center of aisles. What an absolute nightmare visiting a Wal Mart anywhere in Orlando!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 AM

239 posts, read 799,251 times
God for you. They naysaers like me just call it like we see it. You may fit in here just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando