Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is being bilingual in the job search?
Beneficial 5 83.33%
Necessary 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM

78 posts, read 120,121 times

Advertisements

So I was doing a little search on craigslist in my job area(front desk hospitality) and several of the postings suggested that being bilingual (Spanish/English) was a benefit. I realize that the Orlando area is becoming increasingly more Spanish speaking. In your opinion, is the added benefit of being bilingual in actuality, a necessity? How much do you think it will be a detriment to NOT be bilingual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
If you're working on the south side tourist corridor I would say it's extremely beneficial to be bi-lingual. Particularly in Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, French and German.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Do you think Italian would be benneficial? I heard a lot of Italian speaking tourists in the parks this fall. I've never been all that interested in learning Spanish. My heritage is Italian. But if Spanish gives me the edge when it comes to getting a better paying job, I might just have to suck it up and take Spanish instead.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
If you don't already speak Spanish it may not be worth learning (from an employment standpoint) because of competition with the already large number of native speakers. Italian could be good, not in as high demand as those mentioned. Portuguese, Japanese and Mandarin are really becoming high demand here in Orlando, not only for visitors but foreign investors. If I had to pick, I would choose one of those languages.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
I've known a few front desk employees, and none of them (that I recall) spoke anything other than English. Regardless, it's helpful to learn some basic Spanish or Portuguese because the language barrier can be very frustrating.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Do you know Italian? If so that is a plus and Spanish is a Romanic language just like Italian & French. I speak Spanish and can make out most of what most Italians are saying! Spanish isn't that hard to learn either since most of it is phoenetically simple. Realize this a is a tourist based economy here were millions of tourists visit from many Spanish speaking nations so while it may not be necessary upping your language skills would be beneficial.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
These days, at least here on the far south side of town, being bilingual is practially a REQUIREMENT for any job openings available

Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 PM

457 posts, read 627,123 times
Spanish is almost a necessity.

I am still learning. It is much easier to learn in Florida because you can start using it immediately. At least some of your neighbors speak Spanish. Most store employees, too. It isn't like you learn it and have to wait to use it.

If you don't want to learn Spanish, consider a job where you don't have to talk to many people, like cake-baking or accounting or something.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM

128 posts, read 269,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Do you know Italian? If so that is a plus and Spanish is a Romanic language just like Italian & French. I speak Spanish and can make out most of what most Italians are saying! Spanish isn't that hard to learn either since most of it is phoenetically simple. Realize this a is a tourist based economy here were millions of tourists visit from many Spanish speaking nations so while it may not be necessary upping your language skills would be beneficial.
I have to agree with this. I do speak Spanish, and I get the jist of Italian, French or Portuguese. If I really spent time with either one of those languages, I'd be very proficient. It isn't like learning Hindi, Chinese, or Japanese. The word for "wine" is the same in both Italian and Spanish.

In your case, you'd probably pick up Spanish in a couple of weeks with Rosetta Stone or something if your Italian is that strong (I'm not kidding.)

Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM

Well that's true. I took French in school mostly and then senior year took Spanish and ended up with a 99 in the class, so much of it was the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando