Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
.and then I think Orlando would be better to raise a family than Tampa.
Just curious, based on what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Just curious, based on what?
what better place to raise your kids than in the backyard of disney

And despite your hatred of the Orlando area in general, kyle, it's not a bad place to raise a family provided your job and finances are secure.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
what better place to raise your kids than in the backyard of disney

And despite your hatred of the Orlando area in general, kyle, it's not a bad place to raise a family provided your job and finances are secure.

How about near something natural and not artificial, like a beach? It's one of the true perks of actually living in Florida.

Furthermore, I don't hate the Orlando area. Like any city it has its perks and disadvantages, and won't say it's the perfect fit for everyone like many of the cheerleaders like yourself tend to.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM

128 posts, read 269,644 times
Speaking as someone who has merely visited Atlanta and Orlando (both for the first time in 2012), I can say there are similarities to both. Both cities seem to have drivers who are borderline crazy (though I'm starting to wonder if this is just a southern thing.) Orlando is certainly more spread out than Atlanta; seems to be more highway driving than anything else. My time in Atlanta was more in the Downtown area, but I was able to go to a variety of other places in my limited time there.

I was not in the Disney/Theme Park area of Orlando, but the area I concentrated on seemed to be very family friendly. People seemed to be more polite than I'm normally accustomed to (again, this is being from NJ.)

I'm just speaking from a perspective of a visitor, and also as someone who will hopefully be much more informed than I am now once my own job prospects have finalized there. Warm weather, low cost of living and (in my case) a very decent salary will (I hope) negate any negatives in regards to living in Florida. I'm going there because of a job in Orlando, NOT because of Orlando itself.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 6,354 times
As someone who lives in the theme park area, driving in the rest of the Orlando area (I-4 the exception) is much easier. Yes, I still think the drivers here are a little crazier than the mid-sized cities and small towns I was used to in the Midwest, but nothing extreme, and I think that's partly the result of the high amount of NE transplants to the area. It is a lot of highway driving, but if you prefer to avoid the highways (like I do), there are plenty of ways to avoid them.

I love where I currently live, but I think that's because the rest of Orlando reminds me so much of where I used to live and I like the change of pace and style of living in the tourist area.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
How about near something natural and not artificial, like a beach? It's one of the true perks of actually living in Florida.
I visit blue springs (40 mins away on I-4) to see manatees in the winter. Cocoa Beach is under an hour away. Lake Louisa state park near Clermont is gorgeous.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM

128 posts, read 269,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymike View Post
Yes, I still think the drivers here are a little crazier than the mid-sized cities and small towns I was used to in the Midwest, but nothing extreme, and I think that's partly the result of the high amount of NE transplants to the area.
With respect, I'm not so sure about the NE transplants theory that is so prevalent on this forum. When people in NJ cut someone off, they use the blinker. There was none of that when I was down in Orlando. Now, the aggresive driving in general (speeding, etc.) yeah, I could buy that. But I can't imagine someone from the NE forgetting how to use a blinker when switching lanes, I saw many FL plates using blinkers, and figured them to be the transplants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymike View Post
I love where I currently live, but I think that's because the rest of Orlando reminds me so much of where I used to live and I like the change of pace and style of living in the tourist area.
Also, with respect, I could never live in an area that's heavy with tourists. I am so used to tourists whenever I visit Manhattan (especially during Thanksgiving and/or Christmas time.) Nothing like a bunch of people gawking at everything and everyone insight. My mom wants to go to DisneyWorld, so I'll take her down there, but other than that, I'm good.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I visit blue springs (40 mins away on I-4) to see manatees in the winter. Cocoa Beach is under an hour away. Lake Louisa state park near Clermont is gorgeous.
None of which are actually in the Orlando area, save for Clermont (on the outer western edge). I think most people (especially those with families) don't find the prospect of loading kids into a car and driving an hour or more one-way that appealing. Disney is a nice advantage for Orlando, however for many it's a once a year or so proposition, despite the Florida passes. To me it would seem more appealing to be closer to the more routine activity of going to the beach, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the much less frequent trip to Disney (which is still there for a 90 minute to two hour drive). That's just my opinion, though I would guess there are a good number who might share the same thought process.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
None of which are actually in the Orlando area, save for Clermont (on the outer western edge). I think most people (especially those with families) don't find the prospect of loading kids into a car and driving an hour or more one-way that appealing. Disney is a nice advantage for Orlando, however for many it's a once a year or so proposition, despite the Florida passes. To me it would seem more appealing to be closer to the more routine activity of going to the beach, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the much less frequent trip to Disney (which is still there for a 90 minute to two hour drive). That's just my opinion, though I would guess there are a good number who might share the same thought process.
It may not be in Orlando proper but it's all the same in my experience. I grew up in Fort Myers and it took us just as long to get to Ft. Myers Beach as it does to get to the Space Coast. My family actually started doing more nature activities once we moved up here, Wekiva Springs, Rock Springs, beaches, parks, etc. When I lived in South Florida I lived west of 95 which again took me longer to get to the beach than here. It was closer but the traffic was much worse going to beach down there. I won't argue that if you live, or can afford live, near the coast in places like SFL, the beach is much more accessible, but alot of people like myself tend to live in areas away from the coast due to cost. I will say the Tampa Bay area has fairly good beach access, you can hit the water there within 15 minutes from just about anywhere.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,130 times
I love Orlando and moved here for my kids.

For the record, I hate the theme parks (I had not even been in 8 years since I took my older kids and my 5 year old daughter just went for the first time a few months ago). Also, I don't like the beach. I go about twice a year because the kids enjoy it, but I've never cared for it. The beach is place I visit, it is not somewhere I'd ever want to live.

I have kids in HS and a 5 year old. We go to Lake Eola, to the Science and History Center, to Leu Gardens, to play mini golf (going today actually), to farmers markets, to art strolls in Thornton Park, to wander around Ivanhoe on a weekend or spend a day on Park Ave. We wander downtown, we go to music festivals, we do the rare boat ride in Winter Park or swan boat ride downtown. We also do the usual movies, frozen yogurt, etc. Usually, what we do costs very little.

My oldest son works with animal groups, goes to some gaming thing at Fashion Square and a sci fi thing at a coffee shop. I (along with friends) attend lit readings, art shows, and engage in other varied and fun activities.

Having lived in or spent time in many other cities (inc Charlotte, Philly, and all over Florida, as well as in the UK), I can say with certainty that Orlando has tons of things to do for people of all ages and is an ideal location for families.... WITHOUT considering the beaches or theme parks and I-Drive nonsense. Add that in, and there is absolutely a ton for everyone.

Now, there are some things lacking. The music scene does not suit me, for one, but what the city offers in visual arts makes up for it, IMO.

Downtown is relatively clean, with the exception of what really is only a minor homeless problem (compared to other cities), and I always feel safe.

As for the food scene... it is weird in Orlando, but it is absolutely better than Tampa's. There are some highly rated restaurants on Rest Row and down by Disney, some gems in and around downtown and in Winter Park, the food truck scene is out of control, and the vegetarian options are growing faster here than in most of the cities in the US. Is it GREAT? No. But it is good and it is better than Tampa.

Tampa seems more impressive on paper... higher population, etc. But if you really know it and you really know Orlando (and are looking at both objectively), there is no contest.

St. Pete tops Orlando is some categories, as does Miami and even some smaller cities in Florida. And Tampa has the one advantage of having a more interesting geography (the water mostly), but it is ridiculous to say Tampa is better for families or for foodies. [Nothing against Tampa.]

I am not an Orlando cheerleader. There's a lot I love about this city, and a lot I don't like. The sprawl annoys me and I'd give anything to make the city more pedestrian-friendly. I also hate the limited retail in downtown and would love to see the end of shopping malls and strip plazas here and everyone else on the planet. Having said that, Orlando is interesting, increasingly vibrant, and shows more promise than most other cities in the US. For that reason, more than any other, I would recommend it to families looking to find a place to call home for a many years to come. Orlando will only get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando