Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
While I totally agree with you Annerk about her pittance savings not going to last her long, the cheapest new furniture in Orlando is definitely IKEA. You can outfit an entire bedroom under $500 (much less, probably) and haul it all home yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Except she said she was going to have it all delivered.
Quote:
Ah. You'd think someone with a limited budget would find ways to cut corners. Oh well.. I'm still hoping this thread isn't real!
IKEA Does do a FLAT delivery with an area for $89 or $99 I think for as much as you want. It's the smartest way to go if you are buying all that furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
And a lot of Ikea furniture comes in a box and you put it together when you get it home.
That's the real catch IMO. Ikea furniture can take HOURS to put together. There are actually people out there you can hire to put it together for you. I remember when I was in college and it took me 2 hours to put together just my Ikea bed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM

47 posts, read 132,296 times
Actually I put my sectional together all by myself...It took a couple hours but it's been a couple years and it still looks great. Im somewhat crafty...i'd be able to get cheap furniture from somewhere. In every city up here there are discount mattress shops that sells cheap mattresses with $40 metal frames. I'd splurge and get a beautyrest though. I have a Serta . I paid $600 for it and it feels like crap. Next time im spending atleast $900 for a great mattress. This is all null and void though...I've decided to stay up north I just cant get that great feeling out of my body when we land into MCO...It's like CRACK...Seriously...we just get SO happy. I just imagine if we actually lived there we'd be happy 24/7. This is the longest we've been away from Florida. We usually do two five night Disney trips twice a year...but this trip is taking a whole year because the cruise is so friggin expensive. Last year we stayed at POP for ten nights..it was sublime. We had such a great time from begining to end. I so wanna live in Florida...I just have to be smart about it . My kids are really young...if i got into a medical emergency there is no telling what would happen to them. It's just best to stay close to my family for right now . I cant move to Florida without support even if Im able to do so financially.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikecandee View Post
I just cant get that great feeling out of my body when we land into MCO...It's like CRACK...Seriously...we just get SO happy. I just imagine if we actually lived there we'd be happy 24/7. .
Your idea of Orlando is a fantasy, at least for someone in your situation. I love Orlando, and got that same feeling when I would land here when I was living in NYC. However, living here and going to Disney World are two completely different things. Yes, you can enjoy Disney when you live here.. but that's not everyday life. The areas you would be living in with Sec 8 are plagued by the same problems that are in every city.. crime, drugs, violence.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,857 times
Quote:
Actually I put my sectional together all by myself...It took a couple hours but it's been a couple years and it still looks great. Im somewhat crafty...i'd be able to get cheap furniture from somewhere. In every city up here there are discount mattress shops that sells cheap mattresses with $40 metal frames. I'd splurge and get a beautyrest though. I have a Serta . I paid $600 for it and it feels like crap. Next time im spending atleast $900 for a great mattress. This is all null and void though...I've decided to stay up north I just cant get that great feeling out of my body when we land into MCO...It's like CRACK...Seriously...we just get SO happy. I just imagine if we actually lived there we'd be happy 24/7. This is the longest we've been away from Florida. We usually do two five night Disney trips twice a year...but this trip is taking a whole year because the cruise is so friggin expensive. Last year we stayed at POP for ten nights..it was sublime. We had such a great time from begining to end. I so wanna live in Florida...I just have to be smart about it . My kids are really young...if i got into a medical emergency there is no telling what would happen to them. It's just best to stay close to my family for right now . I cant move to Florida without support even if Im able to do so financially.
I'm SOOO sorry to hear that your life of not working and relying on taxpayer assistance is forcing you to wait a WHOLE YEAR between Disney vacations so you can fit in an expensive cruise.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Your idea of Orlando is a fantasy, at least for someone in your situation. I love Orlando, and got that same feeling when I would land here when I was living in NYC. However, living here and going to Disney World are two completely different things. Yes, you can enjoy Disney when you live here.. but that's not everyday life. The areas you would be living in with Sec 8 are plagued by the same problems that are in every city.. crime, drugs, violence.

Yeah i think it is a fantasy..I think we'd do okay. I dont drink,smoke or do any type of drugs. We've been living in these NYCHA housing projects for a couple years now and I stay to myself. I dont even know my neighbors names ...it's a pretty safe area as well. I lived somewhere WAY worse...Bushwick brooklyn...and it was way rowdier..lots more crime and violence. Once again we just stayed to ourselves. We said an occasional hi to the neighbors but nothing more than that. I didnt know their names eithier. I think reguardless of where you are if you stay to yourself and dont get in anyone's business you should be ok. I think it's way easier to do that in Florida when you have your own home so you dont need to even say hello or mingle with your neighbors.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
I'm SOOO sorry to hear that your life of not working and relying on taxpayer assistance is forcing you to wait a WHOLE YEAR between Disney vacations so you can fit in an expensive cruise.

I know you're annoyed ...but i see nothing wrong with how we live. We qualify ...were not scamming any system.. Could I work? Yep sure can but at what expense? I'd much rather stay home with my kids. Yes the whole year part is pure TORTURE. There is only but so much planning you can do with a cruise...

Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
Quote:
I know you're annoyed ...but i see nothing wrong with how we live. We qualify ...were not scamming any system.. Could I work? Yep sure can but at what expense? I'd much rather stay home with my kids. Yes the whole year part is pure TORTURE. There is only but so much planning you can do with a cruise...
You are just not getting it. Everyone would rather stay at home with their kids. I would love to stay at home with my kids. People work so that they can SUPPORT THEMSELVES. You are not supporting yourself. You are relying on the tax dollars of those who drag themselves into work everyday.

I am amazed that anyone could read this thread and not believe that we have a problem with social programs and entitlements in this country.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Could I work? Yep sure can but at what expense? I'd much rather stay home with my kids.
You know there's a problem with entitlements when someone has this mentality. Anyone with some functional capacity should work for their benefits IMO

Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM

81 posts, read 235,092 times
May I ask which borough you live in?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM

81 posts, read 235,092 times
Quote:
As far as my weight i no longer weigh 378 pounds...Im 301 pounds as of today

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando