Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 AM

160 posts, read 451,529 times

Advertisements

Are there any private high schools in Lake Mary with a particularly good reputation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Lake Mary Prep is in town, which has a good reputation. However once again given the quality of Lake Mary HS and even better reputation of Seminole High's International Baccalaureate Program, I would question spending a lot of cash on private school without any proven advantage or superior outcome.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Lake Mary Prep is in town, which has a good reputation. However once again given the quality of Lake Mary HS and even better reputation of Seminole High's International Baccalaureate Program, I would question spending a lot of cash on private school without any proven advantage or superior outcome.
I can't agree more. If your kids will go to Lake Mary High or the IB program, I wouldn't spend all that money. The schools in this area are very good.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 AM

[quote=beckycat;27758975]I can't agree more. If your kids will go to Lake Mary High or the IB program, I wouldn't spend all that money. The schools in this area are very good.[/QUOTE

The IB program sounds good but I've read that t lohe school is located in a seedy area. I can't say I feel very comfortable with that. My other concern is if they don't get into the IB program...then what?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM

[quote=Susan75;27760103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I can't agree more. If your kids will go to Lake Mary High or the IB program, I wouldn't spend all that money. The schools in this area are very good.[/QUOTE

The IB program sounds good but I've read that the school is located in a seedy area. I can't say I feel very comfortable with that. My other concern is if they don't get into the IB program...then what?
I'm not sure who is spouting off about it being a "seedy location". It's in a predominately white working class community with little incidents beyond the usual found in any less wealthy area (teen vandalism, assault of the non-random type and domestic disputes). The students are going to school and coming home, not living there. Those who are more concerned about keeping up appearances tend to worry about it being not a nice area so if that's you, Lake Mary HS is the way to go despite any disadvantage. Because there tends to be an elitist population in the Lake Mary/Longwood/Altamonte Springs area that looks down there noses at Sanford, there aren't sufficient enrollment numbers to create a backlog or competition for seats in the IB program... meaning it's open to any Seminole County student who fulfills the magnet school admissions process.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM

[quote=Susan75;27760103]
Quote:
I can't agree more. If your kids will go to Lake Mary High or the IB program, I wouldn't spend all that money. The schools in this area are very good.[/QUOTE

The IB program sounds good but I've read that t lohe school is located in a seedy area. I can't say I feel very comfortable with that. My other concern is if they don't get into the IB program...then what?
Lake Mary High

Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM

[quote=beckycat;27763827]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post

Lake Mary High
And we know what the wink means. Keep it white!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,073 times
I couldn't agree more people in lake mary/heathrow look down on Sanford. I went to Seminole high school and the area was not beautiful but absolutely nothing happens people feel as if they send there kids there they will be murdered. I see those people as snobs and i cant even stand the site of. If your kid is not a trouble maker hangs with the right crowd then they will not have any problems. Also there is the Health Academy for kids who would like to go into the medical field. I also do not see why you would send your kids to a private school and pay thousands while the public schools are above par.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM

[quote=kyle19125;27764351]
Quote:

And we know what the wink means. Keep it white!
LOL!

In all honesty, I live in the Lake Mary area. I don't look down on Sanford at all. As a matter of a fact, I'm there almost every weekend. I wouldn't be opposed to living there either. I always feel safe when I'm there too.

I agree with Sean about Seminole High and also as long as your child hangs with the right group of kids. I also agree the health academy there is a wonderful program if your child plans to go into the medical field.

Bottom line, both of the high schools are fine and private schools are really not necessary. If you're not happy with those, there's Lake Brantley High, Winter Springs High, Hagerty High, and so many more.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 AM

lol...funny reposonses to this. I suppose everyone's definition of "seedy" is a little different. As long as I didn't feel like the area was dangerous I would be ok with it. I am not opposed to diversity, I actually prefer it, but I don't want my kids surrounded by predominantly low socio-economic groups at that age either. Right now my children are in elementary school and they are enrolled in a dual language program. The majority of the children in their classes are Spanish and are from "the other side of the tracks" so to speak. It really doesn't bother me the way it seems to bother some because of their age. I'm not worried about them hanging with the wrong crowd or being exposed to the wrong things because I control pretty much everything they do and everywhere they go. When they are in high school that won't be the case obviously. High school is a long way off and as much as I would like to think my children would never get sucked into the wrong crowd, how do I know what they will do? We will do our best to raise them to be good people and make smart decisions, but I've seen plenty of kids who come from great homes go down the wrong path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando