Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times

Advertisements

Wow dude.

I'm only going to defend the neighborhoods I am in and out of everyday. Depending on the boundaries, American and Sky Lake are Oak Ridge, but knowing the boundaries as a local Oak Ridge, Sky Lake are not ghetto. Americana, the short stretch between JYP and OBT and Between Oak Ridge Road and Holden (Other wise known as Texas Ave) is ghetto but no worse than Orange Center, The Heights, Lake Mann, Ivey Lane, Pine Hills, or Rosemont in the city limits of Orlando.

Again not really fair to compare since Sky Lake, Americana, Oak Ridge are not in city limits. These areas don't even have affordable housing as I know it. Cheaper apartments than say a mellinia or conroy? barely but def no ghetto. Gets on my nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
It really isn't, I'm finding Florida overall isn't as good as I thought it would be, and I wasn't expecting that much more than Cincinnati.
???? I mean the first guy was specific about the city and suburb. Why do you generally say "Florida"? Have you been and lived in every city or major regions or something?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM

511 posts, read 854,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Funny how I get attacked for pointing out something bad about Orlando considering I normally don't put this city down EVER! All I'm pointing out with this video is that a lot of people claim areas like Meadow Woods, Kissimmee, Hunters Creek, Azalea Park, among others are 'ghetto' when they really are not
Ok fair enough, I didn't see that and it just gets soooo tiring reading them all the time and I agree as one who lives in and is quite happy with living in Kissimmee it is most definitely OTT when describing some of these locations as "ghetto". Though the word "ghetto" itself has a negative connotation that is not correctly applied and has been twisted to mean something more nefarious in it's current context.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I actually think Florida is wonderful compared to my native Connecticut, but I'm also surprised how bad some areas are here as well
Well I was just thinking today as I was out driving to get my boys school uniforms and was driving through Hunters Creek area that this is unavoidable anywhere unless you live in say.......................A private cocoon..
From there it's all a matter of degrees and here there is far more good going for the area and state then there is bad..

Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I was born in Waterbury, which is a bit smaller that Hartford, New Haven and Bridgeport. Waterbury's population is around 107,000 (Hartford, NH, and Bridgeport are all around 125,000) and it has some pretty rough areas as well. I lived on the northside of Downtown Waterbury and its pretty crummy there

Meriden and Naugatuck (two other towns I've lived in) are not as bad but they have some very poor spots too

I would still live in Oak Ridge, Americana, Azalea Park, or even Pine Hills before I live in Waterbury, Meriden, or Naugatuck again
My Family is from Waterbury rather notable ancestry too you may know..But I won't admit to it even if you guess correctly who it may be? Been decades since I've been back for any length of time, though visited my previous wife's family there briefly back about 15 tears ago, they live in Roxbury though.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 AM

97 posts, read 228,953 times
I endorse this topic wholeheartedly.

The entire city of Orlando is a ghetto inhabited by ghettoians.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americandreamdead View Post
I endorse this topic wholeheartedly.

The entire city of Orlando is a ghetto inhabited by ghettoians.
Words from a man who never leaves his protected suburban bubble known as Waterford Lakes

Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Actually I think he's being facetious and cheeky on the actual origins of the word "Ghetto"...

Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
CT has some pretty rough areas.... parts of Hartford. Also bridgeport and new haven
It also has some very nice areas--Weston, Westport, Redding, the list goes on.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Funny how I get attacked for pointing out something bad about Orlando considering I normally don't put this city down EVER! All I'm pointing out with this video is that a lot of people claim areas like Meadow Woods, Kissimmee, Hunters Creek, Azalea Park, among others are 'ghetto' when they really are not
OK I am down in that part of town weekly and the places you showed in the video are not bad. Most people in that part of town just want to be left alone and not judged just like you. I know because two of the apartments in the video I own and I hardly ever have a problem. Paramore area is 100 times better then Americana come pick up rent with me you will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando