Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times

Advertisements

I see! Yeah we seriously have to build up there just is no land avalible. Even with building up most areas in the city are residential so the only place we could build up would be downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I see! Yeah we seriously have to build up there just is no land avalible. Even with building up most areas in the city are residential so the only place we could build up would be downtown.
Within Orlando City limits there is still some pretty big patches of undeveloped land, mainly off 417 and Lee Vista Blvd, but last I heard they found bombs under there and the City ordered all new home construction cease until the problem is fixed. Don't know if it is or not.

The areas of land that are still available are mainly around far West Orange County by Disney, Windermere and Winter Garden. There are some big areas of east Orange County (Orlando zip codes outside city limits) that are undeveloped as well, Curry Ford between 417 and Alafaya comes to mind, theres a few developments but not much is out there

And I think the land adjacent to Windermere town limits, would be hard to get since the people of Windermere dont want big developments encroaching on their picturesque Old Florida town

So while the area may grow overall, the city population will probably top out in a few years or so, unless the city starts getting vacant land from the airport, which I doubt they will. But the biggest portion of uninterrupted Orlando City limits is the airport area, which OIA property takes up a vast majority of. Though dont be surprised if when the economy kicks in there is some developments around Boggy Creek/417 where Wyndham Lakes is. Still lots of empty developments and unfinished ones there

Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
From what I have been seing the city has already made this shift. Most new projects going up are either mixed use or multi family. Most of whats beeing built emphasizes density and accessability. Theres a huge mixed 26 story residential tower going downtown as we speak. Theres another great townhome project on Michigan that looks really interesting as well. I think the city knows the only way to expand their tax base is to pack more city into the city as I dont see consolidation or annexation happening anytime soon.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM

200 posts, read 538,350 times
Is there a list of towns/master hoas that use Orlando as the mailing address but isn't in city limits?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite loop View Post
Is there a list of towns/master hoas that use Orlando as the mailing address but isn't in city limits?
There's quite a few I can think of, there's a lot of CDP's (census designated places) that the Census tracks, keeps demographics of, but are not actual towns. I'm curious now as to how many I can name

ORANGE COUNTY
Hunter's Creek
Southchase
Meadow Woods
Oak Ridge
Taft
Williamsburg
Lockhart
Pine Hills
Bithlo
Azalea Park (part of which is in Orlando City limits)
Conway (also partially in Orlando)
Orlovista
Dr. Phillips
Gotha (may be an Ocoee zip but I'm not 100% sure)
Union Park

All of these areas have Orlando zips, but are NOT in city limits. Some zips (32837, 32821, 32825, etc) say "Orlando, FL" as an address but are not in city limits at all even partially

If I missed any, please let me know. BTW has the census recognized Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park as CDP's? Anybody know?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Sunrail is Central Florida's soon to be completed commuter rail. It is very similar to tri-rail in south florida. I for one think Sunrail is and will be a good investment/project. It has already spurred millions of dollars in development around the stations and raised the values of the land surrounding the stations. It's not a magical solution to our traffic problems, far from it, but it is a good alternative for people who live in the suburbs but work downtown or at the hospital campuses. Once it's up and running and the nightmare of I4 constructions begins I think ridership will exceed expectations.
One thing I want to point out about SunRail vs TriRail is that TriRail's stops remain low density with almost nothing walkable from any of them (to my knowledge). SunRail will have 5 mid-to-high-density stops that already have walkable businesses from them:

Winter Park - shopping & dining on Park Ave, central park, Rollins College
Florida Hospital - hospital, science center, art museum, shopping & dining in Ivanhoe Village
Downtown Central - lynx, office towers
Downtown Church - Amway, nightlife, dining, office towers, and DPAC by the time SunRail opens
ORMC - hospital

And like you said other stops have development happening around them.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
One thing I want to point out about SunRail vs TriRail is that TriRail's stops remain low density with almost nothing walkable from any of them (to my knowledge). SunRail will have 5 mid-to-high-density stops that already have walkable businesses from them:

Winter Park - shopping & dining on Park Ave, central park, Rollins College
Florida Hospital - hospital, science center, art museum, shopping & dining in Ivanhoe Village
Downtown Central - lynx, office towers
Downtown Church - Amway, nightlife, dining, office towers, and DPAC by the time SunRail opens
ORMC - hospital

And like you said other stops have development happening around them.
Well if I'm a nurse or doctor and work at ORMC, the reasonable commutes for areas with top notch schools would be Delaney Park, Dr. Phillips, Conway, Windermere. But what if I don't want to live in the city or can't afford to? What if I want to live out in the suburbs? Sunrail makes reasonable to live in Debarry or Lake Mary and work at ORMC. It's not for everybody, not every citizen and taxpayer will gain a direct benefit from it, I get that. But with the ability to attract better and more employees with more commuting options, we stand to lure in more employees, new businesses, etc. And for those of you who enjoy driving to work, keep driving, there no mandate that once built you have to use Sunrail. But I'm sure even the drivers will be happy to have fewer cars in rush hour.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM

138 posts, read 246,754 times
I've been living in Laureate Park Neighborhood in Medical City for six months now. Hate how long it takes to get anywhere interesting (at least 30 minutes to downtown / Universal / Disney / Winter Park), but love the neighborhood itself. It's beautiful. They're building a pool now, and some shops / restaurants in the neighborhood. Eagle Creek Golf Course (public) right across the street. A nice YMCA down Narcoosee. ..... When you're in the L.P. neighborhood, it feels extremely relaxing. There's still a cow pasture. Feels like you're in the country. They're building 42 miles of trails, should be great when it's all done.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping322 View Post
I've been living in Laureate Park Neighborhood in Medical City for six months now. Hate how long it takes to get anywhere interesting (at least 30 minutes to downtown / Universal / Disney / Winter Park), but love the neighborhood itself. It's beautiful. They're building a pool now, and some shops / restaurants in the neighborhood. Eagle Creek Golf Course (public) right across the street. A nice YMCA down Narcoosee. ..... When you're in the L.P. neighborhood, it feels extremely relaxing. There's still a cow pasture. Feels like you're in the country. They're building 42 miles of trails, should be great when it's all done.
Its amazing how much the area has changed. I will always refer to it as "Narcoossee" simply because I remember a time when Narcoossee was a 2 lane country road from its start at Goldenrod all the way into St Cloud.

The last time I visited this area was in December, my former boss opened the new Publix on Narcoossee south of the 417. I was amazed at how much the area had changed. Narcoosee is now 6 lanes (smart of the City of Orlando to REALLY prepare for future growth by making it 6 lanes instead of 4) There's a new high school, Eagle Creek is under construction, so many new homes going up, its amazing to me that around 1999 is was so empty and rural around there

The area is nice but it is too quiet for me, and there's still not much else around there

Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
What's Sun Rail? Is that like a metro rail system, like what we have in Miami? Little trains that take you to certain parts of town. Or is this something with the high way? Down here in Miami we have the sun pass which is annoying if you don't pay the $60 or more for the pass to use certain highways.
Sun Rail is Tri-Rails cousin. A Train going through multiple counties and cities for travel over long distances in a metro area. Commuter Train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando