Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times

Advertisements

Tolls are optional. There is always another way to get there. I think the waste of money by the Epass authority is as big a concern. They spend billions on the 408 and yet we still have the same ramp to get on i-4...Really? and now we have a bridge to nowhere, that makes sense. The changes they make appear to be the most expensive options. The over passes for the 417 ...no wonder they spent billions.

For me I can run down Lake Underhill and avoid the tolls on the 408....unless I am heading to Ocoee... an hour on Colonial isn't worth it. I choose to avoid them as often as I can, and still I spend $120/month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which is apparently the portion (or part) that is going to be torn up soon for an improvement project. I cannot imagine what that's going to do in terms of traffic congestion.
It's going to suck majorly in terms of congestion. I honestly don't know how they're going to do it without tearing down some buildings that are just feet from I-4. I will definitely be using SunRail when it opens. I'll just drive to the Sand Lake Station and ride into downtown. It will still be another couple years before the Meadow Woods station opens which will be closest to me.

When I lived in Las Vegas, they widened US Highway 95 from six lanes to ten lanes and driving at rush hour was awful. My apartment was 22 miles from my job and driving home at 5pm often took an hour or more due to the congestion on I-15 as well as the 95, I never got above 30 mph for that whole stretch

The current backup on I4 usually starts around Conroy and ends either at the 436 or the 434 exit. I would not be surprised if the backup starts around the 528 or even all the way down to the exit for 535 in the Disney area. If it gets that bad I will take Turkey Lake Rd to Sand Lake instead of I-4

The traffic will get that bad OR, it will be like 'Carmageddon' that was expected in LA when they closed the 405 and then it wasn't so bad. Something like that may happen to us, where we expect it to be bad but then it isn't

I think with the construction that people will use common sense and ride the train and I4 won't be as bad as a lot of people expect

Considering the growth here though, they can widen all they want and add more public transit options all they want, in 15-20 years Orlando's traffic will be comparable to Southern California

Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Which is apparently the portion (or part) that is going to be torn up soon for an improvement project. I cannot imagine what that's going to do in terms of traffic congestion.
really Kyle? Of all people you know good and well what it is going to do in terms of traffic congestion hhaha. Going to be a nightmare.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
really Kyle? Of all people you know good and well what it is going to do in terms of traffic congestion hhaha. Going to be a nightmare.
You know I had to go to Downtown Orlando this past Thursday during rush hour. I was on I-4 around 6pm and from Conroy to Downtown, the traffic congestion was bad but you know it was moving! We were about between 25-35 mph with more time closer to 35 than 25.

So yeah the road gets clogged but not so clogged to the point where you aren't moving much. Maybe north of Downtown it is worth. But between the Conroy and Amelia exits it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, so as far as I-4's current state, enjoy it while it lasts

Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
You know I had to go to Downtown Orlando this past Thursday during rush hour. I was on I-4 around 6pm and from Conroy to Downtown, the traffic congestion was bad but you know it was moving! We were about between 25-35 mph with more time closer to 35 than 25.
That's without incidents though. Throw in an accident, broken down vehicle or someone changing a tire and see what happens...rubbernecking delays are pretty frequent.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
That's without incidents though. Throw in an accident, broken down vehicle or someone changing a tire and see what happens...rubbernecking delays are pretty frequent.
Perhaps I was just lucky that night. I have Apple Maps on my iPhone and it shows how congested roads are in terms of traffic in a similar way Google maps is by color code, red obviously being the slowest, if the roads aren't congested, the will be no color. Apple Maps also shows where construction is as well as accidents. My bad if I sound like an advertisement but I never leave my house around rush hour without checking out Apple Maps first as I'm usually in Downtown Orlando 2-3 times a week

The good thing about living in Far South Orlando though is traffic on John Young and OBT is always moving at a good speed, even during rush hour, as long as I stay south of the 528 its not bad. I wish they would hurry up and finish widening John Young between 528 and Sand Lake Road, makes traffic hell through that stretch and that project should have been done years ago

Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,417 times
A little good news is perhaps on the horizon.

Airport toll plaza's demise could save cash for some motorists - OrlandoSentinel.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando