Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,568,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando2012 View Post
May I ask what brings ppl to here? Jobs? Good education? City life? I agree with Atlanta, Seatle, DFW, Houston, Denver, Charlotte. I would add SF, SD, LA, NYC, DC metro, Boston in the list. But what Orlando offers?
Warm weather, affordable housing, no state income tax, I suppose city life could be one as Downtown Orlando pulls me in like a magnet sometimes. The nightlife scene here is pretty good but I dont think that (nightlife) is enough to draw people to move here

I've also noticed we've had a lot of Californians move here the past couple years. A lot of them sell their homes for so much money and then they move here and buy a house outright and live real nice for little money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
May I ask what brings ppl to here? Jobs? Good education? City life? I agree with Atlanta, Seatle, DFW, Houston, Denver, Charlotte. I would add SF, SD, LA, NYC, DC metro, Boston in the list. But what Orlando offers?
They come on vacation and think life is just one long day at Disney World when you live here. They assume that because it's "the South" it's cheap to live here. They don't do their homework, have no marketable skills for the area, and show up on Orlando's doorstep thinking they'll be able to find $15/hour jobs in unskilled labor and a pool home in the suburbs for $650 a month rent. (Yes, both of those assumptions have been posted over the past week or so. )

Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 AM

207 posts, read 1,033,742 times
Sometimes people just fall in love with a place, and Florida will have that effect on certain people.

Is not always about jobs or career opportunity. It can be because of Disney (theme parks in general) or the beaches, the weather, the diversity, or the slower pace of life. Sometimes it's just about the lifestyle, and that's enough.

In Florida I get to drive a convertible with the top down almost every day, wear flip flops and shorts almost every day, swim almost every day, get to go to the beach 12 months out of the year if I want, get to look at a lush green landscape every day, and I get to spend lots of time with my family, so it's not bad.

All those things are not something you need a lot of money for. Like right now I am sitting at my desk "working" with the windows open and nice breeze coming through the house, it's 80 and sunny right now, the grass is green, and the pool is shimmering. And it's JANUARY. It just feels good.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy123 View Post
Sometimes people just fall in love with a place, and Florida will have that effect on certain people.

Is not always about jobs or career opportunity. It can be because of Disney (theme parks in general) or the beaches, the weather, the diversity, or the slower pace of life. Sometimes it's just about the lifestyle, and that's enough.

In Florida I get to drive a convertible with the top down almost every day, wear flip flops and shorts almost every day, swim almost every day, get to go to the beach 12 months out of the year if I want, get to look at a lush green landscape every day, and I get to spend lots of time with my family, so it's not bad.

All those things are not something you need a lot of money for. Like right now I am sitting at my desk "working" with the windows open and nice breeze coming through the house, it's 80 and sunny right now, the grass is green, and the pool is shimmering. And it's JANUARY. It just feels good.
However you have skills that provided employment that allows you to do this. Far too many have never done anything more skilled then flipping burgers or mowing lawns, yet they think they'll be living large once they get here.

(I'm sitting in my home office working as well. On a never ending conference call that I really have no reason to be part of, so doing a little "surfing" to kill time.)

Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM

207 posts, read 1,033,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
(I'm sitting in my home office working as well. On a never ending conference call that I really have no reason to be part of, so doing a little "surfing" to kill time.)
LOL. I know the feeling.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Well isn't this forum full of positive things to say this lovely morning

If all goes according to plan I'll have skills to back up hopes and dreams of my own. I'm starting at Valencia this summer for Hotel Mgmt

Good for you man... always in need... good pay, be prepared for long hours.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
[/b]
Good for you man... always in need... good pay, be prepared for long hours.
The good pay part is arguable in some cases though the long hours is a definite. Many of the international hoteliers have taken on the practice of filling management positions with non-US citizens versus native born. They'll willingly work 60-80 hours a week at 2/3 the cost of a US resident. I spent two years with Ritz Carlton where that was standard operating procedure though I would say it's a non-issue with the upscale mid-range brands versus the luxury brands.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM

Even with a degree in hospitality, you still usually start at the bottom in hotel operations--front desk clerk making $8-9/hour. The good part is that it's usually full time with benefits. Marriott is well known for treating their employees very well.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
World-class attractions for families and warm weather?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,556 times
The weather, The affordability of houses. The drop in the cost of living while my income remains the same as it was up north. My Va disability and Military retirement pay go further down here. I've been here over a year and I love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando