Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 03:56 PM

68 posts, read 174,801 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me ideas on your rates compared to area you previous lived in. I know it depends on different variables, but just wondering how much of an increase you saw when you moved to Florida. Keep hearing that auto insurance rates are higher in Florida. Am considering areas in NW Florida, maybe gulf coast in Alabama or possibly around Orlando vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
The Orlando area is on par with the Northeast US which has the highest auto insurance rates in the country. The primary reason is due to the high number of uninsured motorists here. Listen to the accident lists on traffic reports (SiriusXM Traffic for instance) and you'll hear almost every accident is a "hit and run" where someone fled the scene...i.e. uninsured. NW Florida should probably be significantly less but cannot state for sure.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM

68 posts, read 174,801 times
I was afraid Orlando would be higher. Thought it might be because of all those crazy tourists who were reading maps!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM

129 posts, read 448,570 times
I'm an agent for a large company. The whole state is high compared to anywhere else in the Southeast. Any city in Florida is expensive to insure a car, but nothing touches Miami. It is not uncommon to get quotes between 4-8k a year in Dade county for auto insurance if you have just one ticket or accident. Broward and Palm Beach are expensive as well. Your best bet is to shop several companies, and go with the best rate/coverage combo. Rates can vary greatly.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM

200 posts, read 538,853 times
Yeah, Miami is nuts. So much fraud there. Insurance investigators have a mountain of caseloads and some companies have given up and just don't write for Miami anymore. Orlando and Tampa are becoming "problem cities" too.

Auto ins. is a bit cheaper if you live outside a city.

Rates have went up even more since Governor Rick Scott pushed his lame PIP reforms.

Definitely shop around and know/understand what coverage you need.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM

511 posts, read 856,017 times
Florida is a no fault state, that has caused higher insurance rates to blanket cover everyone who has insurance regardless of fault and why there are even more people driving without insurance which in turn compounds the problem which was the concern and the complaint of the opposition when it was enacted so now we all pay the price for ignoring the warnings... The state should partner with insurance companies to require them to supply low rate comprehensive coverage for all drivers and then these problems would go away but they'd have to do a better job of negotiating and planning then did the Obama admin on Obama care when they gave away the barn with the cow and now the insurance companies own both.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
The state should partner with insurance companies to require them to supply low rate comprehensive coverage for all drivers and then these problems would go away
Oh, you mean like they have with many of the same companies who used to write homeowners insurance here? If the state were on the ball and cared about it's residents it wouldn't/shouldn't allow insurance companies to cherry pick which policies they're writing here. You're either in, or out.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

511 posts, read 856,017 times
No, that's exactly how they should not do it, just like I stated ... I do agree with the second part of your post though. And furthermore the rest of the public shouldn't be paying for those high end properties on coast lines, but that's another topic altogether.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 22,257 times
I was insured in Panama City in northwest Florida between the ages of 18-22 before moving to Orlando and while I was there my total cost for insurance per month with 2 speeding tickets was $90 a month for both myself and my mother. When I moved out and to Orlando for college and got married my insurance sky rocketed. I am now paying $115 a month at 25 just for myself. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando