Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 8,449 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been searching these forums for the past 2 weeks and have received tons of valuable information! A lot of things would need to fall into place for us to make the move but I want to know as much as possible before hand. I am looking at the Seminole County and Orange County areas only because my kids are 11 and my son is in a wheelchair and would have to go to UCP and I think they said we would have to live in Orange County for that. So with that said what are the BEST areas for my daughter to go to school in Orange County? Price range of 200k-400k nice neighborhood with low HOA. 4 bedrooms 2 baths .Also can someone PLEASE if they know anymore info about the services for therapy or anything else in that area could they help me? Right now my son gets all his therapy in school and we get an aide to help out for 15 hours a week after school through insurance. I cannot find out how things work in Florida!? Also we get Medicaid for free even though we are over income. Even if someone cant help with the questions about special needs services ...any info on ideas on where I should look for housing. Thank you!!!! WE would be moving from Pittsburgh, Pa and my husband is currently looking for positions before we move. =) Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,544 times
Kassie,

Most folks are VERY surprised when moving to FL with anything Special needs related.

You will not get anywhere near the services that are offered up north for your child here.

Now UCP is a good organization and they will do their best to help!

List of places in Central FL:

Special Needs Guide : Orlando Family Magazine

Another thread for Special needs:

//www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...ds-public.html

As for moving, you need to find out where you are working to understand the drives.

Lake Nona (where all the new medical centers are being built) in SW Orlando would be a good commute at 30-35 minutes, more on bad traffic days.

There are some nice neighborhoods in Windermere/ Dr Phillips that you can get a 4/2 home for $300,000. Commute can be bad during rush hour. 8 am commute right now is 32 minutes to go 11 miles according to Google.

If you need any other information, there are many that are glad to help!

Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,449 times
Any additional help...?? Anyone

Old 10-15-2014, 04:42 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
In South Fl the hospitals offered the most information, and where to go etc for services. Places to live, I dont know what your needs are, but stayed less than 10 min from the hospital.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:37 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
I can't help with the special needs child situation, but with regard to your husband's job hunt - it is very difficult to get jobs in Florida right now as an out-of-stater if going for a job that requires some education, because there are plenty of local people vying for those same spots. There's other threads on here of people complaining about how they've sent hundreds of resumes and get no response until they actually get there (or fudge a local address). Unless he's very specialized and there are positions open in Orlando dedicated to his specialty, then it might be quite tough. I got lucky in that capacity when I got a job in Lake Mary while I lived in IN. I still work for the same company, but transferred out to CA because Orlando wasn't for my wife and I since it's not a place for DINKs (dual income no kids). It's more family oriented.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but wanted to offer a dose of realism to this thread - there are TONS of people from up north who start looking at moving to FL come October-November....because frosty is on the way, and it also coincides with the slower time for hiring in the country in general.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Try Orange County Public Schools Website

Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 AM

46 posts, read 74,897 times
I know you said Orange County, but you could look into Interventions Unlimited in Oviedo. They also have a small school, Alpine Academy. I'm not too familiar with CP, but their website might provide you with the information you need as to whether or not they would be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando