Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

You don't even need a college degree to be a sub in the state of Florida.

They also pay very poorly for subs, around $9 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5164 View Post
It is not what you know but who you know-I was a sub in florida,obtained my BS and did a partial certification only to find that since I had a dwi 20 years past I could not be hired! Aint that some ****? Texas is wide open!!
Your other option is to hire a lawyer to have it expunged from your record. It's usually about $1500.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriemsr View Post
Dee2e,

I will have a bachelor's in Business Administration with two minors (one in French and another in International Humanitarian Assistance) plus I am fully bilingual (Spanish) in Dec 2009. My boyfriend and I are moving to Orlando because it is so much better for his career and he has an opportunity there. I will like to get into teaching but after reading what you posted, I don't have a degree in education. What do I need to do?

Should I enter as a substitute teacher, get another bachelor's degree or is it just a certification? If so, where do you get the certification from? This is very confusing. Could you help me please?

Thanks!
Certificate Types and Requirements is the site for the Florida Department of Education. All the information you need to apply for certification to teach in Florida can be found on this link. You can get a temporary certificate then complete what is needed for the professional certificate. Both certificates are issued by the State of Florida.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 AM

42 posts, read 214,359 times
Teaching jobs are super hard to get right now in the great state of Florida. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM

275 posts, read 707,811 times
Here in WV you only need a Master's if you are going to teach college. Colleges won't even look at your resume unless you have a MAT/MIT or an MFA. (MBA that applies also, I'm in an art field, so I said MFA for my own reference). To teach at any school level below college, you only need a BA in education, or a specialized field. I could actually substitute here with a BFA in Photography, even if it's subbing a science class or english ( I have a minor in English, so that's no stretch).

Those who have a Master's do stand a better chance or "edge" over those who do not, but I do believe in the end that experience speaks loads over what degree you have.

If you student teach, volunteer, or sub, you will have more experience under you belt and could possibly have an edge over someone with a Master's who may not have as much experience.

(That's here in WV and in KY and OH also I believe.)

Hope that helps! Have a great day!!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:51 PM

43 posts, read 186,395 times
Thanks! I am actually a teaching assistant at the college level and I also volunteer as a tutor/mentor for a group of kids at elementary level. I hope everything goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
Here in WV you only need a Master's if you are going to teach college. Colleges won't even look at your resume unless you have a MAT/MIT or an MFA. (MBA that applies also, I'm in an art field, so I said MFA for my own reference). To teach at any school level below college, you only need a BA in education, or a specialized field. I could actually substitute here with a BFA in Photography, even if it's subbing a science class or english ( I have a minor in English, so that's no stretch).

Those who have a Master's do stand a better chance or "edge" over those who do not, but I do believe in the end that experience speaks loads over what degree you have.

If you student teach, volunteer, or sub, you will have more experience under you belt and could possibly have an edge over someone with a Master's who may not have as much experience.

(That's here in WV and in KY and OH also I believe.)

Hope that helps! Have a great day!!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 AM

15 posts, read 16,632 times
Default Cost of living in Florida versus Westchester County NY

I am currently living in Westchester County NY and my property taxes are 16,000 per year. No, that is NOT a typo. They are 16,000 per year. That is considered low for this county. So cost of living in Orlando will be a lot cheaper than here and that is why we are moving. Also, our teachers start at around 60,000 and most have Masters Degree or are getting them. If you increased the salaries in Florida you would have better more qualified teachers that have Masters Degrees. However, no one would want to pay that much in property taxes. Also, you're schools are set up that they are county schools instead of each town having to pay for the teachers salaries and the upkeep of the schools. Our administration (superintendent) earns more than Obama. She earns over 300,000 per year. Yes, That's right 300,00 per year. That is what is going on here. A happy medium would be good.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda1988 View Post
I am currently living in Westchester County NY and my property taxes are 16,000 per year. No, that is NOT a typo. They are 16,000 per year. That is considered low for this county. So cost of living in Orlando will be a lot cheaper than here and that is why we are moving. Also, our teachers start at around 60,000 and most have Masters Degree or are getting them. If you increased the salaries in Florida you would have better more qualified teachers that have Masters Degrees. However, no one would want to pay that much in property taxes. Also, you're schools are set up that they are county schools instead of each town having to pay for the teachers salaries and the upkeep of the schools. Our administration (superintendent) earns more than Obama. She earns over 300,000 per year. Yes, That's right 300,00 per year. That is what is going on here. A happy medium would be good.
$16,000 is around what I would have had to pay PER CHILD for my kids to attend private school when I was living in Orlando.

Yes, a happy medium would be good, but with the current public education cuts (regression) going on in Florida- not going to happen in this generation.

While my property taxes are not 16K, I will not complain one bit having to pay around 5K more in property taxes per year here in CT than I would have had to pay in Orlando. Not even a drop in the bucket when I think of what could have been for my children attending public schools down there.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:07 PM

53 posts, read 108,408 times
You are outta luck here....main reason: They firing teachers. Go overseas. Never give your passport to ANYONE when over there....but, go overseas~!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,447 times
I am looking for cooking job in elementary school ,Orlando area ,something in cafeteria .Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando