Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevezan View Post
This is not really hard to believe, actually. DavieJ's experience is pretty common here in South Orlando, especially among those of us who are younger. Kind of like him, didn't get my first car until I was 18, my license at 19.

You are limited to travel especially when you are from a lower middle income family because of the cost of gas and limited car use. We have shopping, entertainment, and the airport right around the corner, sure--- but you have to drive to all of it because neighborhood planning here is abysmal. Not sure how often people are willing to drive even further out except for maybe Cocoa Beach. If you live near Hunter's Creek, there is the Loop, but no one actually bikes or walks there.

That and I imagine the large amount of immigrants from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic find their enclaves here in the South and are satisfied for the most part, and probably don't venture far enough north (this is a guess though; there are other Hispanic areas like Azalea Park, of course and much of 436, but easy access from South Chase and Meadow Woods to 436).

I'd wager that most South Orlando-ians probably know at most as north as Park Avenue in Winter Park and the Downtown core. Actually, I've had friends who have never even heard of Winter Park until I brought it up. Then again, I've also known people here who have never been north of Sandlake or Oakridge roads. It's a bit depressing, I must admit, lol.

It's no wonder I like the areas northward more than South Orlando. All the housing from the 408 down to Hunters Creek on the 417 is an eye sore in my opinion. Houses painted orange and teal blue. Not my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,215,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Because it's nice, friendly and awesome like myself.
Ha. Still it's not a destination place for most south Orlando folks

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM

129 posts, read 446,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevezan View Post
This is not really hard to believe, actually. DavieJ's experience is pretty common here in South Orlando, especially among those of us who are younger. Kind of like him, didn't get my first car until I was 18, my license at 19.

You are limited to travel especially when you are from a lower middle income family because of the cost of gas and limited car use. We have shopping, entertainment, and the airport right around the corner, sure--- but you have to drive to all of it because neighborhood planning here is abysmal. Not sure how often people are willing to drive even further out except for maybe Cocoa Beach. If you live near Hunter's Creek, there is the Loop, but no one actually bikes or walks there.

That and I imagine the large amount of immigrants from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic find their enclaves here in the South and are satisfied for the most part, and probably don't venture far enough north (this is a guess though; there are other Hispanic areas like Azalea Park, of course and much of 436, but easy access from South Chase and Meadow Woods to 436).

I'd wager that most South Orlando-ians probably know at most as north as Park Avenue in Winter Park and the Downtown core. Actually, I've had friends who have never even heard of Winter Park until I brought it up. Then again, I've also known people here who have never been north of Sandlake or Oakridge roads. It's a bit depressing, I must admit, lol.
Same can be said about growing up in Seminole county. I never had a reason to go south of Downtown except when going to theme parks or I-drive. For that matter, I never went to the westside except on rare occasions to visit a family friend in Winter Garden. 99% of my time is spent on the north and east side of the city.

Metro Orlando is so spread out that unless you have friends/family or specific business on the opposite side of town, you may never end up venturing out there. I've lived in Orlando over 30 years and still haven't been to every suburb. The same is true to the north for Deltona. The St. Johns bridge acts like a buffer. It is not that far from where I live in terms of miles, but it seems like another world. The only time I go through there is on I-4 to go to the beach. I never actually stop in Deltona though, or anywhere else on the other side of the bridge like Orange City or Debary, except for the few times I've been to Blue Springs or Cassadaga.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Ha. Still it's not a destination place for most south Orlando folks
Sweet.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInGreenville View Post
Same can be said about growing up in Seminole county. I never had a reason to go south of Downtown except when going to theme parks or I-drive. For that matter, I never went to the westside except on rare occasions to visit a family friend in Winter Garden. 99% of my time is spent on the north and east side of the city.

Metro Orlando is so spread out that unless you have friends/family or specific business on the opposite side of town, you may never end up venturing out there. I've lived in Orlando over 30 years and still haven't been to every suburb. The same is true to the north for Deltona. The St. Johns bridge acts like a buffer. It is not that far from where I live in terms of miles, but it seems like another world. The only time I go through there is on I-4 to go to the beach. I never actually stop in Deltona though, or anywhere else on the other side of the bridge like Orange City or Debary, except for the few times I've been to Blue Springs or Cassadaga.
Very true. Living in Seminole County, heading into the tourists corridor can feel like being a tourist in your own town. Back than, unless you work there, there was not real reason to head south of downtown. Now with Millenia Mall, the Outlets and restaurant row on Sandlake there is more reason for northern burb dwellers to go south but back in the day it was like 2 separate worlds.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,510,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Very true. Living in Seminole County, heading into the tourists corridor can feel like being a tourist in your own town. Back than, unless you work there, there was not real reason to head south of downtown. Now with Millenia Mall, the Outlets and restaurant row on Sandlake there is more reason for northern burb dwellers to go south but back in the day it was like 2 separate worlds.
To me Crane, the difference between the "Real" areas of the city and the attractions area still seems like 2 seperate worlds to me, and the boundaries could be certain roads that kind of mark where the suburbs end and the attractions area begins and vice versa. Example, John Young Pkwy would be the furthest eastern boundary of the attractions, the furthest west boundary would be the 429. I made a map to mark what is defined (at least by me) as the attractions area

The interchange of I-4 and Conroy would be the northernmost boundary as this is where the Millenia Mall and the Holy Land Experience are located within Orlando proper, along with Vineland Road where the north end of Universal Studios is. The southernmost boundary would be Celebration Blvd at World Drive in Osceola County

There are a few residential pockets blended into the attractions area, mainly Millenia, a small part of Oak Ridge, Tangelo Park, the southern 1/2 of Dr Phillips, Williamsburg, the Town of Celebration, and any residential areas adjacent to 192 in Osceola County

Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,510,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
It's no wonder I like the areas northward more than South Orlando. All the housing from the 408 down to Hunters Creek on the 417 is an eye sore in my opinion. Houses painted orange and teal blue. Not my style.
Gee thanks, my house is orange and my neighbor's place is teal blue Although Idk how you could see our houses since we're 2 miles north of 417 off John Young, lol jk.

On a serious note, I also feel like because there is an ever constant tourist presence in the metro area that its like we have 2 seperate rush hours along I-4

1) Is the locals rush hour heading towards Downtown Orlando on I-4 with the Conroy exit being the south end of it, and Maitland being the north end of it

2) Is the tourist rush hour which starts around Kirkman headed west all the way down to 535, and heading east from Osceola Pkwy to 535. There is also one along the far west side of US 192 which runs from I-4 all the way to about Orange Lake Blvd where the Orange Lake Resort is. On top of this you have all the attractions area employees heading to work as well from whatever areas they come from

Would anybody agree with that?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,215,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Gee thanks, my house is orange and my neighbor's place is teal blue Although Idk how you could see our houses since we're 2 miles north of 417 off John Young, lol jk.

On a serious note, I also feel like because there is an ever constant tourist presence in the metro area that its like we have 2 seperate rush hours along I-4

1) Is the locals rush hour heading towards Downtown Orlando on I-4 with the Conroy exit being the south end of it, and Maitland being the north end of it

2) Is the tourist rush hour which starts around Kirkman headed west all the way down to 535, and heading east from Osceola Pkwy to 535. There is also one along the far west side of US 192 which runs from I-4 all the way to about Orange Lake Blvd where the Orange Lake Resort is. On top of this you have all the attractions area employees heading to work as well from whatever areas they come from

Would anybody agree with that?
Yup. Tourist rush hour can also randomly happen on the weekends. It also can include the millennia area

Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The area from Seminole County to downtown Orlando can feel like any very conventional mid sized American city. It feels only somewhat "Florida" and definitely not touristy, and Seminole County may as well be in Ohio to most residents who don't visit Disney World every week. South of downtown feels more "Florida", more transient, newer, more of a service based economy, etc. It seems like the areas north of downtown interact more with the downtown area for work/play, while the areas south of downtown seem to interact more with the "attractions" area with work/play.

Someone who lives in Altamonte Springs would seemingly be more likely to work in downtown Orlando and go out in Winter Park on the weekends. Someone who lives in Hunters Creek would probably be more likely to work some sort of hospitality-associated job and go to CityWalk or maybe drive out to the beach on the weekend, and probably does not go to downtown Orlando that much.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The area from Seminole County to downtown Orlando can feel like any very conventional mid sized American city. It feels only somewhat "Florida" and definitely not touristy, and Seminole County may as well be in Ohio to most residents who don't visit Disney World every week. South of downtown feels more "Florida", more transient, newer, more of a service based economy, etc. It seems like the areas north of downtown interact more with the downtown area for work/play, while the areas south of downtown seem to interact more with the "attractions" area with work/play.

Someone who lives in Altamonte Springs would seemingly be more likely to work in downtown Orlando and go out in Winter Park on the weekends. Someone who lives in Hunters Creek would probably be more likely to work some sort of hospitality-associated job and go to CityWalk or maybe drive out to the beach on the weekend, and probably does not go to downtown Orlando that much.
Totally agree, the northside and southside have two different characters. I had a friend tell me he didn't like the northside much, when I asked him why he said it was because it reminded him of being at home (up north) and didn't "feel" like Florida. Even the beaches are somewhat split up also. As a teenager in Seminole most of my friends and I went to either Daytona or New Smyrna, it seems most of Orange and Osceola goes to Cocoa and the other Brevard beaches. Now that I'm older and live in Orange County I actually prefer the Brevard beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando