Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 15,383 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, for those of you who are seeking new positions, I'll pass on some ideas to you (as a corporate recruiter, I'd like to help). Go to the library and check through the Orlando Business Journal. Check out Business Happenings in Orlando online for some networking groups.

Workforce Central Florida can be a help to you too. Look at your niche sites cuz they might be helpful.

How does your resume look? The latest thing is to leave out the objective (go figure). Leave out the reference line. Most people say that a resume should only be one page. I agree that a one page resume is great, but if you have over 10 years experience, and your resume "spills" onto two pages, don't beat yourself up on it. Better you have the important stuff on page one and some quality information on page two as well.

Be sure to put numbers on your resume. Companies love statistics. They love percentages. Be sure you add hardware and software. Be sure to spell things out...don't abbreviate as it can show a sign of always looking for short cuts or pure laziness.

If you'd like me to review your resume, write me here and, if I have an opportunity, I'll give it a shot. Howie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times
I have been trying to get a job as a corporate (technical) recruiter here for the last three years. I have been to many interviews, but have had no luck so far. It seems they call just about everyone who applies in for an interview. Where I used to live (New Jersey), they only called you in if they were seriously interested in hiring you. This threw me off a quite bit prior to my move to Central Florida. I thought because I had so many interviews already lined up before I even moved down, I was bound to get a job, based on the way things are done in New Jersey. Boy! was I wrong. Now, the longer I stay here without a job, the older and older my experience becomes, whch is bad. I think the best thing for me to do now is just move back to New Jersey, lick my wounds, and try to get on with my life.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,383 times
Smile Don't Give UP!

Suggest you persevere as there are many seeking recruiting positions.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:50 PM

I keep going to interviews, here in Central Florida, just to be turned down for the job. It seems I do not have "exactly" the experience they are looking for, although it would be much easier recruiting for the types of psotions they are trying to fill (mostly blue collar, construction workers, telemarketers, etc) than it would be for the type of positions I used to recruit in the IT and Telecom fields (software engineers, project managers, application engineers, etc). It seems they can be picky because there are more applicants than jobs to fill. I am already talking to an employer in New Jersey who says he needs several good recruiters.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 AM

103 posts, read 392,107 times
I agree with you.The resume is very important when you find the job.My teacher want us hand in the resume to him several times.He said we must do this advanced before we graduate.So we change our resumes many times.Because he is not satisfy with the resume.ha ha,we change it many times ,at last ,he said "YES",we all smile and relax.ha ha

Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,812 times
Smile Resume Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazui View Post
I agree with you.The resume is very important when you find the job.My teacher want us hand in the resume to him several times.He said we must do this advanced before we graduate.So we change our resumes many times.Because he is not satisfy with the resume.ha ha,we change it many times ,at last ,he said "YES",we all smile and relax.ha ha
Remember, show the resume to 12 different people, you'll get 12 different critiques. Final analysis: A reputable person will give you quality information. Remember also, the final "judge" is the hiring manager. Unfortunately you can't read his/her mind. Follow the above instructions and you will, at least, supply them with information they can use. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 PM

28 posts, read 61,508 times
bdpop, very good idea to move back to NJ. The job market in Orlando is only going to get worse. The situation here right now is too many qualified people and not enough jobs. A degree means nothing in this place, because employers don't want to pay. I plan on getting out of this hell hole by next year and moving up North.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 PM

14 posts, read 70,289 times
I had the same experience in Orlando. I had several interviews and no offers. In the past, I usually got the job if I was called in for an interview....not in Orlando, I think they interview every person that applies.....I dont know what is going on.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM

88 posts, read 264,760 times
I am extremely resourceful and go the extra mile and it goes unrecognized in Orlando. I have done everything to get a job...since last October sorta looking around, still nothing. Oh, $8.50 to train me to run an office was the best offer I had. That's less than my child makes up north at her job.
It's like whatever they want you don't have it at the time even with the temporary agencies. I have computer experience in Outlook, Word, some Excel but suddenly they need 10,000 keystrokes for that position for data entry.
I know it seems like all I do is ***** on this forum but it hasn't done me any good to be my eternally optimistic self, not here that is. I have many things going for me so I'm not some loser or bitter about life. I think people should know the INSIDE STORY ON LIFE IN ORLANDO.
I checked it out in other places and they did call you back and thanked you for your resume. In one state they were posting ads inviting you to come and they would train you...they were nice to you, heaven, it's still out there. Not here in Orlando. Imagine that a place where they like INTELLIGENT people, not FEAR THEM.
The teenagers in the area where I reside are unable to get jobs too due to the UCF kids taking all of them at Waterford Lakes. Or when you do a get job they cut your hours to 15, and hire temps. to do the rest. Stupid. So corporate "Bombay" doesn't have to pay benefits.
The last attorney before I decided to get out of legal in 4-5 years ago told me...I have 200 resumes sitting in there and I advertised for $8.00 an hour. I'm sure somebody will take $6.50. That may explain it first hand for some of you asking questions of why can't I get a job? The pompousness of some of these attorneys...and they're supposed to be making decent money and THEY don't even want to share it. Greed is alive and well in this town. I remember who he was. More slave labor.
Anyhow, it's this place. Now alot of jobs are going to bilingual too, don't forget about that. I looked at many jobs and must've seen 10 for bilingual. That's driving the prices down too. Mexico and Bush have a deal going where all the money goes back to that country so hire the illegals. Well, this is why WE AMERICANS can't get jobs......
Go back to New Jersey or anywhere up north it might not seem better with the weather but this place is ABUSIVE in general. They don't like it if you speak up either so you better learn to keep your mouth shut. Before long you'll be working at a job that you thought you'd never work at for wages you thought you'd never work for...chipping away at your soul, trying to steal it. Moonbeam

Old 07-20-2007, 03:36 PM

If I would have known they interview everyone down here that applies, I would have stayed in NJ. With all the interviews I had lined up before I moved down, I thought at least one of them would have hired me. I tried to get a low level service job, at least to have some money coming in, but they would not hire me because I was "overqualified". Nobody here even drops a letter in the mail to tell you that you were not hired. How rude is that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando