Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times

Advertisements

So its been a little over a year since I have moved back to Orlando, and for the longest time I was going back and forth as to whether or not I was going to stay here or go back to Las Vegas. The truth is I equally love both cities and even if I NEVER go back to Vegas even to visit, it will always be special to me. Either way, I have decided to stay for a lot of reasons

1) I have a good stable job with Publix. Sure the pay isn't great, but its secure and there is potential to move up and make a good living for myself down the road

2) The city is ahead of the curve in terms of economic growth and its exciting. It seems like everywhere I go there is construction. There's cranes over downtown Orlando again, Lake Nona is booming, lots of road construcion and improvments, SunRail construction, and I found out there is a Wawa being built near my house that will be at Orange and Town Center

3) Downtown. I'm there at least 2x a week, whether it be during the day to have a nice lunch, a walk around Lake Eola, or at night to party and have fun. Downtown always has something for me and its worth the 19 mile drive every time

4) I have formed a lot of new friendships as well as becoming closer with some old friends who I knew pre-Vegas. One thing I will say is that being in Vegas made me a more outgoing person, I'm not as introverted as I used to be, and I'm reaping the benefits since I have moved back

5) The lush greenery. Whether its natural or man-made in a 90s construction subdivision, I have a new appreciation for the lush greenery Florida has. While I do love the dry desert and its beautiful jagged mountains, some greenery is always nice too

6) I just seem to be doing better in life, living here. Mainly because of my job, and I now have a 2nd job. But I also recently bought my dream car (my 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R pictured below), have health insurance and am saving money for the future. I'm glad I cam home and am headed in the right direction

So inspite of some of my gripes and complaints I have had since I moved back here, all in all I'm glad I came home and am now prospering

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM

511 posts, read 855,141 times
Good for you, good to see you recognized the greener grass (pun intended) right on this side of the fence instead. BTW Publix does have a good record of treating their employees well and having growth from within. Their bonus system and promotions can make them a worthwhile company to build a career around and the possibilities of becoming even a store manager extend to anyone regardless of education level, based more on a persons abilities, desire to move forward and loyalty then just a degree..

If I may though, while a nice car, aim a little higher on that front eh?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Wow, I can't believe it's been a year! Glad you're doing well and decided to stay. It must be a big relief to have made the decision. I think everything happens for a reason. I would not look back on Vegas as a mistake. If you never went there, that would bother you more. Keep it as something special like you said. Good luck in the future! I like your car.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Good for you, good to see you recognized the greener grass (pun intended) right on this side of the fence instead. BTW Publix does have a good record of treating their employees well and having growth from within. Their bonus system and promotions can make them a worthwhile company to build a career around and the possibilities of becoming even a store manager extend to anyone regardless of education level, based more on a persons abilities, desire to move forward and loyalty then just a degree..

If I may though, while a nice car, aim a little higher on that front eh?

Are you kidding? For a single guy you probably couldn't get a sportier, more reliable car! Blacked outn tinted windows, rims and side skirts, I'd say he's doing okay! Everybody doesn't want a gas greedy, ticket magnet Corvette.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM

NO, FFS but this is more to my liking at about the same cost without being "a big ticket magnet Corvette".
besides I just mentioned aiming higher for his dream, dreams should be big and for him it was, that wasn't a hit on his current goal hence the blinky guy after my post.

That's mine BTW, but it's still not my "dream" car, it's a past dream car now achieved...
Attached Thumbnails
After Being Back for a Year, I've Decided to Stay-img_1628.jpg  

Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Glad you found a second job. Work hard and save those dimes.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
NO, FFS but this is more to my liking at about the same cost without being "a big ticket magnet Corvette".
besides I just mentioned aiming higher for his dream, dreams should be big and for him it was, that wasn't a hit on his current goal hence the blinky guy after my post.

That's mine BTW, but it's still not my "dream" car, it's a past dream car now achieved...
Yeah I drive a Mazda too so I understand what you mean when telling a person to aim higher than a Nissan lol .

Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Glad youre home and headed in the right direction as well.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 AM

490 posts, read 1,098,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
So its been a little over a year since I have moved back to Orlando, and for the longest time I was going back and forth as to whether or not I was going to stay here or go back to Las Vegas. The truth is I equally love both cities and even if I NEVER go back to Vegas even to visit, it will always be special to me. Either way, I have decided to stay for a lot of reasons

1) I have a good stable job with Publix. Sure the pay isn't great, but its secure and there is potential to move up and make a good living for myself down the road

2) The city is ahead of the curve in terms of economic growth and its exciting. It seems like everywhere I go there is construction. There's cranes over downtown Orlando again, Lake Nona is booming, lots of road construcion and improvments, SunRail construction, and I found out there is a Wawa being built near my house that will be at Orange and Town Center

3) Downtown. I'm there at least 2x a week, whether it be during the day to have a nice lunch, a walk around Lake Eola, or at night to party and have fun. Downtown always has something for me and its worth the 19 mile drive every time

4) I have formed a lot of new friendships as well as becoming closer with some old friends who I knew pre-Vegas. One thing I will say is that being in Vegas made me a more outgoing person, I'm not as introverted as I used to be, and I'm reaping the benefits since I have moved back

5) The lush greenery. Whether its natural or man-made in a 90s construction subdivision, I have a new appreciation for the lush greenery Florida has. While I do love the dry desert and its beautiful jagged mountains, some greenery is always nice too

6) I just seem to be doing better in life, living here. Mainly because of my job, and I now have a 2nd job. But I also recently bought my dream car (my 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R pictured below), have health insurance and am saving money for the future. I'm glad I cam home and am headed in the right direction

So inspite of some of my gripes and complaints I have had since I moved back here, all in all I'm glad I came home and am now prospering
How about college?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM

If Nissan it is then I'd consider this a dream car for him to aspire to own, I know I would.. 370 Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: