Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 231,356 times

Advertisements

We are flying down to Florida this week to look around DeLand & surrounding areas (we are from Long Island) - we are going to be looking at some houses with a Realtor & try and get a feel for the different areas. Can anyone here recommend some places that we should visit - some restaurants too try while we are there. Since we are from NY we are really not familiar at all, except for the research we have done online. Its always nice to hear from people who live in the area to give some suggestions. I am looking forward to seeing Downtown DeLand! It was one of the things that attracted us to look in the area.

Thanks in advance! Really looking forward to our trip! ~K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM

36 posts, read 87,852 times
My husband and I were just there this past weekend. He might be getting a job offer in Daytona so we thought we'd check out Deland while we were there since we thought this might be a good place to live. The neighborhoods we liked were Forest Trace and Cross Creek. The Victoria Park area also seemed nice but I think the HOA there is on the pricier side.

We also checked out Glenwood Springs which has newer construction homes but we really didn't like the vibe once we were there. There are lots of plots still available and it appears lots of empty homes that I'm guessing are foreclosures since it looked like the homes were not being kept up. It was kinda sad looking in my opinion.

Unfortunately, after our visit we marked Deland off our list because it just seemed a bit too slow paced for us, but if that's what your looking for you may like it.

I highly recommend getting some ice cream at Rodeo Whip on S. Woodland Blvd. It was really good and the portions are huge.

I heard good things about The Airport Restaurant and Gin Mill in Deland even though we didn't eat there during our trip. Apparently this place has really good burgers and you can watch the skydivers if you eat outside. I'm sure downtown Deland has some good restaurants too.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,130 times
The Airport Restaurant has the BEST burgers anywhere. Seriously.

I grew up in DeLand. Wander downtown. Eat at Cress if you have time... it gets national attention. Outside of downtown, DeLand is like any other place, to be honest. The location is ideal, though, if you want to be within easy driving distance to Daytona Beach and Orlando.

There's a nice mix of old and new there, but you'll need to really spend time and look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando