Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,858 times

Advertisements

I have read several comments on various threads about avoiding West Orange High and that it is a "bad" school, however nothing specific has been mentioned. Can anyone share their reasons why they feel that West Orange High should be avoided? Is it because of academics,... safety,... something else.....? Also, what does everyone think of the private school options around the Windermere area? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
https://www.ocps.net/cs/services/acc...gh_Release.pdf

As you can see, West Orange has gotten a D grade, as well as a few C's in the past, unlike nearby Olympia and Dr. Phillips High Schools, which have never gotten a grade below a B. I don't necessarily think West Orange is a bad school, but it's not as desirable compared to the other two, which are considered two of the better schools in the county.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:12 PM

492 posts, read 1,024,749 times
I agree with the above. It is not a super bad school, it is just not as good as nearby high schools... test scores, overall academics, some discipline issues (I can't speak to this year, but heard things the couple years before this one). There are definitely worse schools

Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Low test scores, low amount of students going to 4 year college, higher disciplinary referrals, lower teacher stability, minority-majority.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 PM

82 posts, read 204,805 times
I just received an email about a petition concerning the building of a new high school in Horizon West either on 535 or on Tiny Road near Bridgewater Middle School. With a new high school in the Windermere/Winter Garden area, the school zones should change and relieve West Orange of the amount of students attending.

Read more about the High School

Read more about petition

Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSchroeder View Post
I just received an email about a petition concerning the building of a new high school in Horizon West either on 535 or on Tiny Road near Bridgewater Middle School. With a new high school in the Windermere/Winter Garden area, the school zones should change and relieve West Orange of the amount of students attending.

Read more about petition
That school was zoned years ago and never got built due to changes in Enrollment (drops) and the re-building of WOHS. One day it may happen, but ultimately only if a lot of dirty money goes into it.

Oak Ridge and Lake Nona are still grossly underutilized. ORHS could relieve some of DPHS which would fix a lot of the issues... but obviously, that would be a battle too.

I'd imagine Horizons West will go up one day... but not in a very foreseeable future.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 PM

6 posts, read 12,385 times
The parents have to work low wages to make ends meet. The kids...go amuck on their own. IT IS NOT THE EDUCATION! They work hard. But, who your kid socilizes with, makes a huge difference. And, that describes your school.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM

6 posts, read 12,385 times
Oh, and by the way, I 'believe' that some here PAY the wages. So..do NOT EVER belive ANYTHING in FLORIDA..until you see it.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM

17 posts, read 70,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSchroeder View Post

Read more about petition
What exactly is the controversy over this school? Is it just about the location? why is one preferrable over the other? Reading through this facebook site and the petition doesn't make it 100% clear to me. I understand that the writers of these are against the 535 site, but I don't see a lot of reasoning for why other than traffic congestion of 535. I don't know anything about either side, so I was just curious.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM

220 posts, read 417,732 times
They just had a meeting about the new school in the auditorium of West Orange HS. The bottom line is Scott Boyd and the city have decided to move forward with a school and they say it must be built/open by 2017. They want to put it on that parcel of land off of 535. There were hundreds of people at the meeting and the # 1 complaint was about traffic being bad if they built (they were saying 535 gets all the Disney employee traffic and another private school traffic and Sunset Park elementary school traffic). Bottom line is they really appear to be mad because if the new High School is built it will be in their back yard and they simply do not want to look at it or hear the noise a HS can bring if you happen to own a house that adjoins to the school. From the meeting it sounds like a 100% certainty that a new HS must and will be built and it will be soon. The next meeting is June 19th at 6pm at the same auditorium so if you guys are already down in Windermere then you should go....but if you do bring some popcorn and get ready for the fireworks from the locals that do not want a HS near their properties.

In regards to West Orange HS = it used to be in the white building next to the new HS. Several years ago it served a completely different population and was considered a "C" school. Over the last 10 years the entire community it serves has basically changed (demographics including communities such as Keene's Pointe). They spent millions building a new, state of the art school. The ratings keep going up and the Principal and staff have gotten outstanding reviews/marks. It is a solid B school and some say it is an A school. Some have said it is even better then Olympia because it is not as pretentious. One of my kids will be going there because the new school will not be built in time and I am not concerned at all.

A simple tour when you come down will show you the reality of the High Schools in this area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanner17 View Post
What exactly is the controversy over this school? Is it just about the location? why is one preferrable over the other? Reading through this facebook site and the petition doesn't make it 100% clear to me. I understand that the writers of these are against the 535 site, but I don't see a lot of reasoning for why other than traffic congestion of 535. I don't know anything about either side, so I was just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando