Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 PM

626 posts, read 976,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Publix is usually located in Middle-class to upper-class areas. So the customers don't mind paying the price that they do, and Publix prides itself on customer service, not prices.
Albertson's in our area went out of business and so did Winn Dixie. Publix has full control. If they had better competition, mega-supermarket of some kind, Publix would have to lower their prices. I have seen this in other places we've lived and the prices were fantastic. One place, we lived in, in Texas, there was a mega super market, right across the street from another one so they were always competing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
Albertson's in our area went out of business and so did Winn Dixie. Publix has full control. If they had better competition, mega-supermarket of some kind, Publix would have to lower their prices. I have seen this in other places we've lived and the prices were fantastic. One place, we lived in, in Texas, there was a mega super market, right across the street from another one so they were always competing.
On packaged and frozen goods, Wal-Mart kills publix on everyday pricing

Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yep! I buy all my meats/seafood/veggies from an organic store and all my processed junk from the cheapest place available.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
I can tell you that our Publix here did not suffer when Walmart put in one of their grocery only stores about a half mile from them. The first week the Walmart grocery opened sales at Publix went down by about 20% because of the opening sales but increased to a + 10 % 3 weeks after the Walmart opened.

Publix has a pretty loyal following. 30+ years ago when I first moved here on a teacher's salary,looking at the store I thought they were too expensive and always shopped at Winn Dixie. But then when we realized the Publix was the only place where there were stairs( in the back going up to the restroom) we started going in so our son could learn to walk up stairs. (might have to live in Florida to understand that) I started picking up stuff. We learned if you shop the sales it was cheaper than Winn Dixie for us. We also learned that customer service, reliability, etc were just as important as being cheap, so it is our main source for groceries. Even their store brand products are better than most. If they don't have something and if it is availab le for them to order for you they will.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I can tell you that our Publix here did not suffer when Walmart put in one of their grocery only stores about a half mile from them. The first week the Walmart grocery opened sales at Publix went down by about 20% because of the opening sales but increased to a + 10 % 3 weeks after the Walmart opened.
I agree and those that say WalMart is considered competition for Publix obviously don't know the grocery industry. Publix has itself a monopoly and the only hope for better prices is having a traditional chain move into Florida to compete. Perhaps the Bi-Lo acquisition of Winn-Dixie will open the door for some competition as the company's CEO has expressed the company needs to grow.

Bi-Lo, Winn-Dixie integration almost complete; CEO says it's 'time to grow' - Jacksonville Business Journal

Old 05-26-2013, 07:18 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Yes, Walmart kills Publix on prices everyday, But there are you normal ''Too good'' people that are too high class to shop with the minorities at a dirty Wal mart. I am happy they are opening up the Wal Mart Market in SoDo, cant wait to see what happens.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Yes, Walmart kills Publix on prices everyday, But there are you normal ''Too good'' people that are too high class to shop with the minorities at a dirty Wal mart. I am happy they are opening up the Wal Mart Market in SoDo, cant wait to see what happens.
Or those with ethics who won't shop there because of their business practices and could care less about saving a few bucks in return.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I totally agree about Walmart prices are much better! With $96, I'd come out with double of the bags (8)of groceries as Publix. The quality is just as good as well.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
That's true. Walmart/Target market everyday low prices. Traditional stores push sales. Traditional store sales combined with the use of coupons DESTROY Walmart/Target.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree and those that say WalMart is considered competition for Publix obviously don't know the grocery industry. Publix has itself a monopoly and the only hope for better prices is having a traditional chain move into Florida to compete. Perhaps the Bi-Lo acquisition of Winn-Dixie will open the door for some competition as the company's CEO has expressed the company needs to grow.

Bi-Lo, Winn-Dixie integration almost complete; CEO says it's 'time to grow' - Jacksonville Business Journal
Kyle, you are correct. I remember there being another thread on here discussing whether we have real competition in Florida or not. I was on the side that we DON'T, and having Walmart, Super Target, Whole Foods, and eventually Trader Joes is NOT a competitive grocery market.

I believe there are three reasons why we don't have more traditional stores:

1. It may be difficult for companies without a lot of capital to build a logistical network in Florida given the state's size and shape. Walmart can handle it. Mejier probably can't handle it.

2. More grocery chains have closed shop in Florida (Winn-Dixie, Albertson's, Goodings, and apparently Kroger in the 1980s) than opened because of Publix's success.

3. Publix is destroying the competition in other states as they expand (like being out Kroger in Atlanta).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando