Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM

53 posts, read 120,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly many on this thread obtained their pro-Walmart viewpoint from "fair and balanced" new sources versus reading from several sources, not surprisingly. For those that want to patronize a company at the forefront of dismantling American jobs and sending them overseas and the very reason why that many can't afford to shop in most stores because the new job pays much less, I say have at it idiot.

Always someone bringing up politics, GEEZ. By the way Kyle, why do you think we have all these overseas imports? Thank Bill Clinton for signing NAFTA, It all started with him, guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrails6 View Post
Always someone bringing up politics, GEEZ. By the way Kyle, why do you think we have all these overseas imports? Thank Bill Clinton for signing NAFTA, It all started with him, guy!
+1

Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Wow so much hate on Publix going on in this thread, or at least that is how I interpret it

Even though I work for Publix I am going to state my personal, unbiased opinion here

While its true, full retail prices at Publix are steep, its not much better at any other grocery stores in other states. Vons (Safeway) and Smiths (Kroger) and Albertsons in Las Vegas are just as expensive as Publix for groceries if not MORE unless you get a savings card. At elast Publix doesnt force loyalty on you by making you sign up for one

Also, Wal-Mart does NOT always have the best price. If you shop at Publix according to sales, you'll spend just as much as Wal-Mart if not LESS, especially if you use coupons.

Wal-Mart is not hurting Publix's business, and neither is Sedano's. Down here in the Hunters Creek area, Sedano's opened up in 2010 at OBT and Deerfield Blvd, and the Wal Mart neighborhood market opened sometime in 2011 (wasnt living here at that time) both are less than 1 mile from the Southchase Publix at OBT and Wetherbee, and that Publix is doing just fine, the parking lot is always pretty full. The Hunters Creek Publix at JYP and Town Center is still doing fine as well

Ultimately it all boils down to what you buy, what is on sale and if you coupon or not. If you dont coupon (I dont) or if you have a taste for items that are NEVER on sale, yeah prices will be outrageous and your groceries can become a big ticket expense no matter where you shop

I will continue to shop at Publix for my groceries as I always have, I shop according to the sales, and I take advantage of bogos. 2 weeks ago I spent $160 on groceries that would have cost over $250 at full cost, and thats without couponing. And all that food fed a family of 4 for 2 weeks with some food left over to spare....

Its all about your personal tastes, choices in your food items, and whether or not you take advantage of sales
I was waiting to hear from you Davie on this.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
[quote=boy3365;29742356]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post

BOGOs are NOT marked up. The bottle of dressing not on sale is $2.99. When it is BOGO, one is still $2.99. Getting two makes it $1.50. If you clip a coupon (like last week's Wishbone BOGO), you could probably score it for $0.20 each.

In states outside Florida, they have what is called "half price BOGO." That means each item rings up at half price during a BOGO.

This is a correct statement. Publix does not raise the price to sell it BOGO but you do have to get 2 to get the deal. When they do a 2 for $5 for example you can buy 1 and it will be less than the shelf price of the item, too.

Now at Winn Dixie I have noticed when they do the BOGO they do up the price per pound on the meat sometimes, but getting the 1 free usually makes it still a good deal and usually is better than the full price I would have to pay at Publix that week even if I end up paying more per pound than it was the week before. Both WD and Publix cut their own meats so they are not processed somewhere else in the country and trucked in so basically have fresher meats than one who processes elsewhere and do not cut meat in their stores. Probably less chance for contamination, too. I usually avoid the stores who require you sign up but the WD card does save you money on a regular basis, too. I still cringe in the WD here though -even though they remodeled it, it still seems dingy and dirty-especially when you get to the first aisle of regular shelf groceries where they ran out of money to finish the remodel. (only redid front, deli, and vegetable area here. I have also picked up BOGOS that when I got home were outdated or would be in a few days, too; so always look at sell buy dates on packaging now to make sure I will be able to use the 2nd bag of chips for example-next week and they won't be stale.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 AM

362 posts, read 559,990 times
You can only save at Publix if you are combining the B1G1 free with a coupon, because their price of a single item is double that at Wal Mart. It is a ploy to spend more money overall because they make you spend the extra $ just to not pay $4.99 for a single bag of English muffins.

Unless you have cash to burn, you really have to shop at multiple places to keep your grocery bill reasonable. My weekly stops include Publix for meats and buy 1 deals, Wal Mart for non food items, Sav a Lot for produce ( got a fresh pineapple yesterday for $1.49), and Winn Dixie for their weekly sales. Wal Mart prices are going up too, I've noticed a substantial increase in the past few months.

It would be nice to shop in a single store to get the prices and quality of food I want, but it won't be happening unless I win the lottery.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
[quote=lovfl;29740305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
So you would rather have a town with no jobs instead Walmart jobs?

The people who claim Walmart is this greedy evil and empire need to look in the mirror. These people are idiots in my opinion. I applaud Walmart for providing affordable goods and services. I'm sure many low income families also applaud Walmart for this reason. Walmart doesn't force people to work there. It also doesn't require a degree to work there, so why should they pay $15/hour + benefits? Have you ever been to a Walmart? I never think... awww these employees are so friendly and helpful, if I had a store I would offer them $20/hour to work for me. The customer service or lack of customer service is the reason why many people hate them.[/quote

I always get good service when I go to Walmart and their prices are fantastic so are Targets! Publix is way over priced. Do some camparison shopping folks and you'll see what I mean and there is NO REASON for Publix high prices because they buy by the volume and could offer better prices to us. I do not go for the buy one inflated one, get one free. I don't WANT two of everything, that is not saving, it's a gimmick.
I totally agree, Publix and Target are no different, except there are no people in their stores. I applaude them because someone has to shop at the other stores or otherwise they would go out of bushiness, and then we would just have more unemployed.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I buy frozen organics and my gmo free tofu at Wal-Mart. Whole foods costs near 30-50% more
I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
So you would rather have a town with no jobs instead Walmart jobs?

The people who claim Walmart is this greedy evil and empire need to look in the mirror. These people are idiots in my opinion. I applaud Walmart for providing affordable goods and services. I'm sure many low income families also applaud Walmart for this reason. Walmart doesn't force people to work there. It also doesn't require a degree to work there, so why should they pay $15/hour + benefits? Have you ever been to a Walmart? I never think... awww these employees are so friendly and helpful, if I had a store I would offer them $20/hour to work for me. The customer service or lack of customer service is the reason why many people hate them.
There were jobs in those towns, until Wal-Mart came in, artificially lowered prices until they put all the other businesses to the curb, and then hired all of those desperate displaced workers from the failed businesses where they had made a living wage at minimum wage with no benefits.

I'm not an idiot--those who support Wal-Mart and then cry because they can't find a job are the idiots. I'd rather pay more and have ethical employers who source goods made with sustainable and fair labor practices.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
You can only save at Publix if you are combining the B1G1 free with a coupon, because their price of a single item is double that at Wal Mart. It is a ploy to spend more money overall because they make you spend the extra $ just to not pay $4.99 for a single bag of English muffins.

Unless you have cash to burn, you really have to shop at multiple places to keep your grocery bill reasonable. My weekly stops include Publix for meats and buy 1 deals, Wal Mart for non food items, Sav a Lot for produce ( got a fresh pineapple yesterday for $1.49), and Winn Dixie for their weekly sales. Wal Mart prices are going up too, I've noticed a substantial increase in the past few months.

It would be nice to shop in a single store to get the prices and quality of food I want, but it won't be happening unless I win the lottery.
I got a fresh pineapple for the same price from the farmers market--supported a local farmer in the process.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
There are many people in this country that cannot afford Whole Foods. So it sounds a bit obnoxious when you imply, Walmart is this evil place and we would be better off without it.
Those are often the same people who smoke two packs a day and have $1000 rims on their cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando