Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I am no fan of Wal-Mart but I agree wholeheartedly with those who say that this is a free country and nobody has to shop or work at WM against their will. Obviously lots of people choose to patronize them and therefore they are the largest retailer in the world.

And my personal gripe is as follows:

If you think that an entry level clerk at Wal-Mart should make a livable salary then I feel sorry for your family due to your lack of ambition. Those kinds of jobs (and minimum wage in general) should be the motivation hard workers need to rise above and become managers or whatnot to increase their skill set and value. Even if a law were passed tomorrow to make these people earn $15 per hour pre-tax, they would still be living meager lives and prices would go up since the company would be paying more so the inflation factor kinda makes that whole argument seem silly.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 AM

362 posts, read 560,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I got a fresh pineapple for the same price from the farmers market--supported a local farmer in the process.
Because that "local farmer" grew that pineapple? Lol. :-)

You supported a local businessman. Just like I supported the employees at Sav a Lot.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
I am no fan of Wal-Mart but I agree wholeheartedly with those who say that this is a free country and nobody has to shop or work at WM against their will. Obviously lots of people choose to patronize them and therefore they are the largest retailer in the world.

If you think that an entry level clerk at Wal-Mart should make a livable salary then I feel sorry for your family due to your lack of ambition. Those kinds of jobs (and minimum wage in general) should be the motivation hard workers need to rise above and become managers or whatnot to increase their skill set and value. Even if a law were passed tomorrow to make these people earn $15 per hour pre-tax, they would still be living meager lives and prices would go up since the company would be paying more so the inflation factor kinda makes that whole argument seem silly.
So it's as simple as choosing to not work at WalMart? Of course! They simply need to quit and go work at one of the many other well-paying options out there! That's how it works in the year 2013, anyone can choose where they want to work and shazam, you're hired! Who's feeding you this pablum? Snap out of it and face reality.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandewegian View Post
Walmart doesn't run mom and pops out of business: consumers do.

The consumers can choose higher prices with personal service (mom and pops) or they could choose lower prices with no service (walmart).

It seems just about everywhere, they choose the latter.
Exactly, and then can't figure out why it's one of the few choices for employment when better paying work is outsourced or downsized.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post

You supported a local businessman. Just like I supported the employees at Sav a Lot.
Well, sort of....The 3/50 Project ::: Home

Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:

I think you are missing the point. Often people have worked in locally owned shops and developed a level of expertise in their wares--hardware, automotive, meat, sporting goods, the list goes on. They have been paid a wage commensurate with their expertise. WalMart comes in and low balls prices at the start (all loss leaders) until they put all of the competition out of business. Then the people who worked for those competitors are left with no choice but to starve or accept a minimum wage job at WalMart.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandewegian View Post
Walmart doesn't run mom and pops out of business: consumers do.

The consumers can choose higher prices with personal service (mom and pops) or they could choose lower prices with no service (walmart).

It seems just about everywhere, they choose the latter.
Not I, no way. The simple truth is that WalMart has become a monopoly and our government has done nothing to stop it.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM

[quote=lovfl;29752208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

annerk, I did not post this, but You make enough money to shop at Publix, good for you, but quit knocking Walmart which has saved my family thousands of dollars over the years and is a one stop place, thus not paying for gas, running all over looking for items!
Don't complain to me when you can't afford to shop there after WalMart has killed every competitor other than the high priced ones like Whole Foods and Fresh Market, and then raised their prices because they can. Better plant that war garden, now, you'll need it not so far down the road.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post

Yes, the pineapples are locally and organically grown--that's why they only have a few every week. I have several neighbors who grow them as well, and we sometimes trade pineapples for limes.

I support not only a local businessman, but also a GMO free family farmer. Have fun with the chemical infused and GMO filled, hormone and pesticide laden foods at Sav A Lot. Don't complain to me when you get cancer or your daughters start puberty at age eight. There is a reason for this, look to your food for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando