Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom215 View Post
that was funny how u started off lol but i looked on trulia and seen some very veryyyyyy nice homes in kissimee! is there any good parts?? I cant believe that those type of homes would be in a dump. The dump here in philly would never have such homes. I even seen homes with their own pool. But thanks again was funny and also helpful. I guess looks can really be decieving.
Most of this area is fairly new, so most of it does look nice. That doesn't mean it's a good neighborhood, and it especially doesn't mean the schools are good. (Like Kissimmee)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The difficult part is getting in. There are many more students working on pre-Nursing than there are seats in the actual program, so potentially one can wait a few years as everyone competes in terms of GPA and other factors. If you're interested in Pediatrics, consider Respiratory Therapy. An RT with Neonatal/Pediatric specialization (obtainable through passing national certification tests after graduation) working in a children's hospital or NICU unit earns in the 55K-60K range on average.
Agree.

The outlying fields of medicine such as Respiratory Therapist, Physical Therapist, and Radiology/Ultrasound Technician are in demand and often only require a two year degree. They also often have more stable hours than nursing, particularly at the start.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
WHOA this question is right up my alley

Im from orlando in the medical field and now live in philly.

Okay consider the Job situation first

Orlando has two major hospitals systems i've worked at both Florida hospital and orlando regional.

Philly has many more medical job openings due the fact its a bigger city with more medical facilities.

Do RN not RT. My sister did Respiratory Therapy at Seminole state college unable to find a job. She went back and did her R.N. degree .

The R.N. Degree is very versatile degree Nursing is always in demand because other nurses burn out and seek other opportunities. Coming from someone in healthcare you cant go wrong with a Bachelor Nursing Degree you will find work as a BSN more easily then a AS RN.

Forget Radiology technician no jobs in orlando, There are still Therapist job especially physical therapist. Once again thats due to burn out. Ultrasound is still good but in orlando its a tough market as well. Orlando isnt a medical hub yet so be careful moving there if you in the medical field. Its improving just not there yet.

Cost of living is about the same but the jobs pay lower in orlando.

Areas to live:Winter Park/Maitland/College Park (close to Florida Hospital Orlando and smaller hospitals, good schools)

Love those areas if i move back to orlando that where i would stay. I had a friends mom rent a house in 4 bedroom under 1000 in college park close to edgewater high school. Not the best of areas but very decent.

Philly not so bad? Figure out what you dont like about philly and see if orlando offers you more? Is it weather? Jobs? Friends and family? figure out the real reason u want to move. maybe a slight change rather than a major one could help.
I love Orlando still have family there but please consider the job situation before you move there. are u starting school in orlando? which school? that should determine where u live? driving far isnt fun?

Last edited by Aimewitue; 06-03-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 PM

11 posts, read 12,590 times
wow thanks sooooooooooooo much!!! wel o be honest im 28 i lived here in philly my whole life... CRIME is effin ridic!!! my kids feel unsafe. Jobs are not a problem. I work at einstein hospital as a patient registar! I love my job. I do feel I can get more for my buck hosuing wise down south. I pay 1,000 a month for an ok 2br apt in a nice neighborhood just so my kids can get into a great school. realisticly We are cramed up. We need the space! I plan on finding a job definitely before I get down there. I have not started school yet but wanted to once I got down there and Got settled. I would have to first take my pre reqs so It will be sometime before I actually become a RN. I just needed some type of advice being as though I wont have any family... just my fiance and our kids and I have 1 friend who lives in Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
WHOA this question is right up my alley

Im from orlando in the medical field and now live in philly.

Okay consider the Job situation first

Orlando has two major hospitals systems i've worked at both Florida hospital and orlando regional.

Philly has many more medical job openings due the fact its a bigger city with more medical facilities.

Do RN not RT. My sister did Respiratory Therapy at Seminole state college unable to find a job. She went back and did her R.N. degree .

The R.N. Degree is very versatile degree Nursing is always in demand because other nurses burn out and seek other opportunities. Coming from someone in healthcare you cant go wrong with a Bachelor Nursing Degree you will find work as a BSN more easily then a AS RN.

Forget Radiology technician no jobs in orlando, There are still Therapist job especially physical therapist. Once again thats due to burn out. Ultrasound is still good but in orlando its a tough market as well. Orlando isnt a medical hub yet so be careful moving there if you in the medical field. Its improving just not there yet.

Cost of living is about the same but the jobs pay lower in orlando.

Areas to live:Winter Park/Maitland/College Park (close to Florida Hospital Orlando and smaller hospitals, good schools)

Love those areas if i move back to orlando that where i would stay. I had a friends mom rent a house in 4 bedroom under 1000 in college park close to edgewater high school. Not the best of areas but very decent.

Philly not so bad? Figure out what you dont like about philly and see if orlando offers you more? Is it weather? Jobs? Friends and family? figure out the real reason u want to move. maybe a slight change rather than a major one could help.
I love Orlando still have family there but please consider the job situation before you move there. are u starting school in orlando? which school? that should determine where u live? driving far isnt fun?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks... what are some good schools down there for ultasound...might have a change of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The difficult part is getting in. There are many more students working on pre-Nursing than there are seats in the actual program, so potentially one can wait a few years as everyone competes in terms of GPA and other factors. If you're interested in Pediatrics, consider Respiratory Therapy. An RT with Neonatal/Pediatric specialization (obtainable through passing national certification tests after graduation) working in a children's hospital or NICU unit earns in the 55K-60K range on average.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 PM

no not 4br/ 4 bath lol sorry.... I need a 3/4 br with at least 2 bath and the most i could do would be about $1200 a month for rent. Does every landlord do a credit check?? if they dont I will be fine or at least work with me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A 4/4 for $1100 a month? Not in a decent neighborhood with decent schools. Totally unrealistic.

I think you're going to have a very, very, very hard time renting with your credit history.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I think you should look at Maitland area.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom215 View Post
no not 4br/ 4 bath lol sorry.... I need a 3/4 br with at least 2 bath and the most i could do would be about $1200 a month for rent. Does every landlord do a credit check?? if they dont I will be fine or at least work with me.....
You might find a 3/2 in your price range, but it's not going to be easy. with the credit problem, it's going to be very difficult. We have a rental shortage right now, so landlords are being picky.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 PM

I did a search for maitland but nothing pops up for rentals and how about jobs in that area??

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I think you should look at Maitland area.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Well to be perfectly honest I've done a wide variety of searches and alot of niiicceeeeee 4br 2 bath homes came up for even uder my price range... even davenport came up and the homes their aree beauuuuuuuutiful!!!! and its not ghetto there from what alot of ppl are saying.. now If only I could find a lamdlord to work with me abouyt my credit I'll be a ok!!! ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You might find a 3/2 in your price range, but it's not going to be easy. with the credit problem, it's going to be very difficult. We have a rental shortage right now, so landlords are being picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando