Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Orlando area but have been thinking of relocating . I know the northern parts of Florida get very cold winters with icy rains and I wonder if there is any real risk of black ice forming there? Does anyone have any info on where the risk of black ice may be a problem in Florida ? Does anyone know personally of an incident of black ice happening in a Florida city?

I was born up north but moved to Florida as a child . I don't know how to drive in black ice and I don't want to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
The key is to slow down.

While rare, it's always possible. It's probably very rare in Florida, only because the road would have to be cold enough for the ice to form, and considering that we seldom have more than a few days in a row where it stays below freezing all day, the chances of the pavement getting that cold are very, very slim.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:55 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
I live in the Tallahassee area, and I've never heard of there being any black ice around here. It definitely does get cold here in the winter (some nights will get down into the teens) but it almost never snows and as I said, I've never heard of ice in this area. Well, except for hail in some strong spring storms. Even when there's a really cold night, the daytime temp will get up into the 40's.

Usually when it gets cold up here, it also gets dry. That's why we hardly ever get snow.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
I did find this article claiming a black ice incident I think in the Jacksonville area but I don't know if it's real or not
Florida's black ice | Breaking Highlands county news, local sports and events, and weather from Highlands Today | HighlandsToday.com | Highlands Today

I have read that even 10 miles an hour is too fast for black ice and that it is responsible for a lot of accidents up north.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I drove in the Northeast for 30 years. I didn't have a single accident due to black ice. You just have to slow down and be aware. Seriously, I can't imagine it being a problem in Florida, even northern Florida. The pavement just can't get cold enough.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM

90 posts, read 178,061 times
I lived in FL for more than 30 yrs, about a third of that in mia/ftl/wpb, the remainder in the gainesville area.
Once at xmas in '90 or '91, we had a storm, got a little dusting of snow and icicles for 2-3 days on the north side of the house.
Ice on the roads is not a common event anywhere in fl.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 AM

167 posts, read 409,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I did find this article claiming a black ice incident I think in the Jacksonville area but I don't know if it's real or not
Florida's black ice | Breaking Highlands county news, local sports and events, and weather from Highlands Today | HighlandsToday.com | Highlands Today

I have read that even 10 miles an hour is too fast for black ice and that it is responsible for a lot of accidents up north.
Did you really just start a "is there black ice in FL" thread? Really? You have that much time?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Very rarely, especially in Orlando. However you do see alot of signs in north Florida which read "Bridge Ices before Roadway" which seems to indicate that may be an actual concern. Other than that, it doesn't happen often.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

428 posts, read 1,082,797 times
Here's a secret; its not really black.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 AM

32 posts, read 47,445 times
Its black here in NJ, maybe grey in the south. And you don't drive on it, you slide off it. You really don't need to worry about it in Fl. Hey annerk you are lucky, my FIL slipped on it and had to hve his knee rebiult, I've slid my car off the road 2x, watched a bus slide sideways on it, witnessed a 6 car pileup cause of it, fell on my ass numerous times in my 43 yrs, and the last experience was sliding sideways in a huge ford F350 after my husband parked it, fortunately a patch of grass stopped us. Can't wait to move to Fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando