Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,584 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to purchase a condo in the Disney area. Our thought is to furnish it, then rent it out by the week as a means of making money. We will probably use it 1-2 weeks a year. I have looked at realtor.com and zillow.com , but it is hard to find a decent area within a good driving distance of the parks.

Can someone recommend either a condo or house? I'd love to talk to a realtor about this. Currently we own two homes, but one should be sold soon. Once that is sold, we would like to buy a condo or home down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM

43 posts, read 94,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
My wife and I want to purchase a condo in the Disney area. Our thought is to furnish it, then rent it out by the week as a means of making money. We will probably use it 1-2 weeks a year. I have looked at realtor.com and zillow.com , but it is hard to find a decent area within a good driving distance of the parks.

Can someone recommend either a condo or house? I'd love to talk to a realtor about this. Currently we own two homes, but one should be sold soon. Once that is sold, we would like to buy a condo or home down there.

I have the best realtor in the world, she answers her phone and actually returns calls immediately if she's with a client. I worked with her for several years until I found what I was looking for and she always made me feel very important even though I know my price range was rather low. I recommended her to 2 other people who also bought. PM me if you would like her number.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
You aren't going to make money. The market is over saturated, and unless you've had the rental for a long time with a lot of repeat guests, you'll be lucky with 25% occupancy rates--and that's if you don't want to use it yourself on the major holidays and price it very competitively.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You aren't going to make money. The market is over saturated, and unless you've had the rental for a long time with a lot of repeat guests, you'll be lucky with 25% occupancy rates--and that's if you don't want to use it yourself on the major holidays and price it very competitively.
I'm not necessarily looking to make a lot of money. Ideally I would break even. If I can get enough of an occupancy that it covers the mortgage, then great! If not, then so be it.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn71092 View Post
I have the best realtor in the world, she answers her phone and actually returns calls immediately if she's with a client. I worked with her for several years until I found what I was looking for and she always made me feel very important even though I know my price range was rather low. I recommended her to 2 other people who also bought. PM me if you would like her number.
I sent you a DM, thanks!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I'm not necessarily looking to make a lot of money. Ideally I would break even. If I can get enough of an occupancy that it covers the mortgage, then great! If not, then so be it.
It would be very difficult to generate enough income to get a break even with all the costs.

You have Mortgage/Taxes/Insurance then Property managment, lawn care, pest control, utilities, HOA dues, not to mention upgrades to home and maintenance items.

If the place rents for 10-15 weeks a year and you can still be able to pay for the rest yourself, I would say look into it.

If you want more info, PM me.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Thanks all.

I don't expect it to fully pay for itself. However if it does, then great.

I understand all of the costs associated with owning a home; and also with owning one remotely.

If the total cost each year is $12000 and I can rent it out for 15 weeks at a cost of $600/week. That will generate revenue of $9000 per year. Then I will pay the remaining $3000 out of pocket. Of course, I will prepare to pay the entire thing out of pocket, but it will surely rent out at least 5-10 weeks per year.

What do you think? Any advice you can give?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
You underestimate the costs on an annual basis. Expect $3600 (or more) a year in property taxes, $100 a month in home owners fees (more for a condo), $150 a month in lawn and shrub care, $100 a month plus a cut of rental fees in property management, $200 a month in electric, $50 a month in water/sewer (could be more if it's rented), $40 a month in irrigation water, $100 a month in home owners insurance, $100 a month in cable/internet, $50 a month in pest control, $100 a month in pool care. On top of that you need to budget $200 a month for wear and tear and regular maintenance. Depending on where you buy you might also have $50 a month in garbage hauling fees.

Additionally there are sales taxes and rental property taxes that have to be paid, inventories that need to be performed and submitted at lest once a year. You'll also have cleaning fees.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,132 times
Annerk's advice is spot on regarding the monthly/annual costs. Are you paying cash or will you have a mortgage on the place?

If it's an all-cash purchase then yes you can probably be under $12,000 per year, but if you'll have a mortgage you'll never find something decent with costs that low.

You would almost certainly be better off to pocket the $$ you'd spend on purchasing a condo. The $$ you'd spend on HOA fees / property taxes / insurance / utilities / management fees alone will pay for better accomodations for those 1-2 weeks a year you'd plan to use it. If you're thinking of it as a potential retirement home down the road I'd add that no one I've ever met wants to live in an area that's full of short-term vacation rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando