Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM

329 posts, read 700,086 times

Advertisements

On this forum, I notice bashing and advising of people to not live in MetroWest and I'm curious what's wrong with the area...

Did the recession just destroy it and cause undesirables to live in the area, does nearby Pine Hills have crime that spills over, or what?

Seems like a desirable area to me, but that doesn't seem the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 PM

82 posts, read 204,892 times
Check out crimereports.com and type in the zipcode of the Metrowest area (32835). The Orlando Police Department has partnered with this site to display the crime report data and incidents in that area. You can click on Advanced Search and go back 2 weeks, 30 days, etc.

I know that many are concerned with the amount of crime and this map will help you compare it to other locations.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:41 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,096 times
Cue a negative comment from "brinkofsunshine" in 3...2...1

Bhiggins, 32835 is a large zip code. It not only encompasses Metrowest and parts of Dr. Phillips, but also areas north of Metrowest that are close to Old Winter Garden and Colonial.

Overall, Metrowest is a desirable area... When you hear most people speak poorly about it, they are typically referring their experiences with apartment complexes that border Metrowest on Kirkman or apartments that are near Raleigh and Kirkman.

The single family home communities are all well maintained with healthy HOAs.

The theory that many of us believe has to do with the closing of the Walmart in Pine Hills and the opening of the Walmart plaza on Kirkman. With it being in walking distance of the areas east of Kirkman, I think a transition happend at that point.

My family has had homes in Metrowest for over 20 years. Metrowest is very conveniently located, and is zoned for Gotha Middle and Olympia high. We have never feared for our lives, and I don't believe the familes walking up and down Westpointe or Hiawasse for a nice stroll seem to either.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:29 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Metrowest - glock glock

Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM

329 posts, read 700,086 times
Wow MetroWest has a serious burglary problem compared to much of Orlando, I could understand that though.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Wow MetroWest has a serious burglary problem compared to much of Orlando, I could understand that though.
Unfortunately, what you are seeing is deceiving if you don't know the area well.

The vast majority of the crimes that you are seeing take place in apartment complexes, of which there are a high concentration around and in Metrowest as well as along Kirkman, so this skews the number a bit in terms of crime opportunity/density. However, as you take a look at the western portion of Metrowest, you will notice little to no crime as these are residential/single family neighborhoods.

I've never claimed Metrowest to be crime-free, but it is definitely not crime-ridden as some would infer or have you believe.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM

388 posts, read 790,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
Unfortunately, what you are seeing is deceiving if you don't know the area well.

The vast majority of the crimes that you are seeing take place in apartment complexes, of which there are a high concentration around and in Metrowest as well as along Kirkman, so this skews the number a bit in terms of crime opportunity/density. However, as you take a look at the western portion of Metrowest, you will notice little to no crime as these are residential/single family neighborhoods.

I've never claimed Metrowest to be crime-free, but it is definitely not crime-ridden as some would infer or have you believe.
I mostly agree with your posts, but you have to admit that a good chunk of Metrowest is apt complexes. Some nicer than others.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
I mostly agree with your posts, but you have to admit that a good chunk of Metrowest is apt complexes. Some nicer than others.
Oh no denying that. If you go back and read my older posts, I recommend staying away from apartments near Raleigh... And even though Kirkman apartments are not technically part of Metrowest, most people associate it with MW so I advise against that area as well.

Those apartments are on the outer edges of Metrowest and do not represent the community and the homeowners as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando