Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Notice how we are not one of the most miserable cities. Since you obviously are so fed up with it then I am expecting you to get out, and protest fro higher wages.
this an article not my opinion. I actually love orlando and miss it. I moved to a bigger city for higher wages. But just because i love orlando doesnt mean i cant point out it faults. I really hope orlando gets more professional jobs so i can move back. it really is a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
While I do know there are cheaper apartments that the figure I mentioned, I merely stated what one bedroom apartments in Hunter's Creek are going for. In other areas like Lake Nona, Millenia, and Downtown, Dr Phillips they are probably 4 digit figures

Rooms to rent are not that much cheaper than 1 bedroom apartments. Some rooms are going for $500-$700 a month Millenia - 1 room available (12x12) in a high-end townhouse I would much rather have my own apartment at that rate than share a place and deal with roommates who eat MY groceries, dont pay their share of utilities, always late on rent, always bringing different people over, etc And yes I do know many rooms are cheaper than that but at $675 I'll find my own place and try to make things work

Sorry if I seem crabby ORL, I love this city just as much as you do, but the pay of jobs compared to the COL is just not right imo

Lets use that $700 figure you said. Rent is supposed to be 3x your gross income, ideally speaking, so that means at $2100 a month, minus 20% for taxes, puts you at $1680 per month or $420 a week

Lets subtract $700 from that $1680, leaves you with $980. Subtract $300 for all utilities, cable and cell phone, now at $680, subtract $250 for a car payment now at $430, subtract another $300 a month for gasoline and groceries, subtract another $100 for car insurance and that leaves you $30 of discretionary income for the whole month.

The only way you could survive in a 1 bedroom apartment at $700 a month on $12 an hour 40 hrs a week is if you drive a paid off POS car and have minimal insurance coverage at $50 a month. That would add $300 a month worth of discretionary. But wait, you're supposed to save 10%, so lets subtract $168 from $300, which leaves you with $132 a month or $33 a week worth of money for entertainment, dining out, going to the bar, etc. What if you met a nice girl and had to take her on a date? Dinner and drinks will run around $100-$200, looks like you'll have to dip into your savings this month just to pay for a date, what will you do if she wants to go out again next week?

So as you can see ORL, it can indeed be done. You can live comfortable on $12 an hour and have your own apartment if you dont have a car payment, but that leaves you with very little, if any to enjoy life with

I apologize again if I seem crabby, but I do think wages in this town are too low unless you're in some kind of mgmt position
BS. Cagan Crossings: Affordable apartments, rentals, and amenities near Disney World $475 gets you a studio. Utilities will be around $150 a month at the most. Take home of $12/40 would be $1450 a month after health insurance premiums.

So let's see...

Rent: $475
Utilities: $150
Car payment: $250
Gas and groceries: Total distance to WDW Cast parking is max 25 miles r/t, so figure $250, could be closer to $200, or you can park the car and walk across the street and take LYNX for $50 a month.
Insurance: $100
Savings: $125

So that's $1375, leaving you $100 a month after taxes. Additionally you could pick up overtime, and there are a lot of great perks, including meeting many, many nice, single girls who would be coworkers and discounts to any number of restaurants and attractions.

By the way, a nice girl won't expect you to spend money you don't have on her. My husband made very little when we first met, he took me to Wendy's on our first date. That was 23 years ago.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
BS. Cagan Crossings: Affordable apartments, rentals, and amenities near Disney World $475 gets you a studio. Utilities will be around $150 a month at the most. Take home of $12/40 would be $1450 a month after health insurance premiums.

So let's see...

Rent: $475
Utilities: $150
Car payment: $250
Gas and groceries: Total distance to WDW Cast parking is max 25 miles r/t, so figure $250, could be closer to $200, or you can park the car and walk across the street and take LYNX for $50 a month.
Insurance: $100
Savings: $125

So that's $1375, leaving you $100 a month after taxes. Additionally you could pick up overtime, and there are a lot of great perks, including meeting many, many nice, single girls who would be coworkers and discounts to any number of restaurants and attractions.

By the way, a nice girl won't expect you to spend money you don't have on her. My husband made very little when we first met, he took me to Wendy's on our first date. That was 23 years ago.
That Sucks then adding overtime as well which isn't a perk in the hospitality industry they hate paying overtime and will do anything to avoid it.. Groceries are really underestimated what is this person eating Ramen noodles Morning,Noon and Dinner.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
That Sucks then adding overtime as well which isn't a perk in the hospitality industry they hate paying overtime and will do anything to avoid it.. Groceries are really underestimated what is this person eating Ramen noodles Morning,Noon and Dinner.
Not under estimated at all. I eat organic/whole grains/fresh fruit and veggies, have fish or meat every day, and spend about $50 a week to feed myself. If I wasn't eating organic I could do it for $30. Farmers Markets are your friend.

By the way, Disney has been having such a shortage of drivers that O/T has been easily available for years. Also once you get the CDL, you can pick up shifts with certain other local charter companies on a per diem basis, easily putting another $200-300 in your pocket for an extra 15 hours a month.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not under estimated at all. I eat organic/whole grains/fresh fruit and veggies, have fish or meat every day, and spend about $50 a week to feed myself. If I wasn't eating organic I could do it for $30. Farmers Markets are your friend.

By the way, Disney has been having such a shortage of drivers that O/T has been easily available for years. Also once you get the CDL, you can pick up shifts with certain other local charter companies on a per diem basis, easily putting another $200-300 in your pocket for an extra 15 hours a month.
Oh so you mean where there's a will there's a way...? No way. And I bet that the same person who would find a way to make it on this math will also find a way to make more and improve their life.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Oh so you mean where there's a will there's a way...? No way. And I bet that the same person who would find a way to make it on this math will also find a way to make more and improve their life.
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with making a better life for yourself, and sometimes a hand to mouth existence is the kick in the butt that it takes. People are far too entitled these days and expect everything to be handed to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando