Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 PM

10 posts, read 34,868 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transfered from Ca to Orlando. He will be making aprox $7000.00 monthly, Are we going to be able to live off this income in a fairly nice community? We will only be in Orlando 2yrs so we will be renting. Also if any one knows of a reputable rental agent we should use in finding a home? Thanks. Buella
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Making that kind of money, you should be able to live RATHER well. I hope you enjoy your stay here. There is so much to see.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Keeper; 11-08-2007 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: send a Direct message.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,644 times
I assume you know that Florida has no county/local/state income taxes. Add that and it being the perfect time to rent, you will have a great time. I loved my time in Orlando. Make sure you get all you want when you rent, because there are plenty of houses/apartments available. Not only is it a buyers market, but it is a renters market also.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
You would be able to live off that income. We live in a decent neighborhood in the Lake Mary area, have 2 kids and only make $4000/mo. Don't get me wrong, I have to really budget our money, but it's doable. Good luck and if you have any questions, let me know.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buella63 View Post
My husband is being transfered from Ca to Orlando. He will be making aprox $7000.00 monthly, Are we going to be able to live off this income in a fairly nice community? We will only be in Orlando 2yrs so we will be renting. Also if any one knows of a reputable rental agent we should use in finding a home? Thanks. Buella
that income should afford you a nice rental in a good area providing you aren't in debt up to your ears. I live in a nice neighborhood, decent schools and rent is around $1500 for a 3BR 2Ba. You should do well. You can search these forums for specific areas you are interesed in.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM

131 posts, read 578,101 times
Hi.. I live in Winter Oaks subdivision (cute newer home -- about 2100 SF) for $1400 per month and that includes water, trash and lawn service.

This is Winter Garden (west side). I love it here and the rent is so cheap it's allowing us to deal with the hassle of not selling our house in KY in a timely manner.

I would say that most houses for sale would entertain someone renting them. There are several REALLY nice houses I would of rather rented for a tad bit more but I chose to stay conservative so we had more money to spend on savings -- so that when we do buy we can take advantage of the depressed market.

Good luck! I didn't find (btw) a good agent to help me. Any agent will email you the rentals, however I found this one by word of mouth of a friend of mine and used a lot of search sites that didn't have what my realtor would send me.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 34,868 times
Default location

We are hoping to find a home close to Lockheed Martin. He will be out there weekly starting in Dec and we are hoping to have the family moved by the end of Jan. My husband will be doing the house hunting while he is there.
Ive been reading some of the posts on the forums here and was getting a bit frighten of the move. Its good to see not every one hates it in Orlando. I'm looking forward to moving out of this desert. I will happily give up 118 degree summer days and 18 degree winter days for humid 100 degree days. I'm looking forward to trading in my dry patch of what I think is grass for a real lawn. LOL
I have a few?'s on car registration,and do we have to smog them out there? I went to the DMV site and it just left me confused. your plates are registration?we just tagged our truck in Oct. I'm I going to have to pay another $300.00 for the year in Jan there and they expire on my husbands b-day in march?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 PM

266 posts, read 1,162,050 times
There are a lot of great subdivisions in the area you're looking. All the homes in ours are less than 3 years old, the whole neighborhood is only about 300 homes, and we are within 4 miles of major roads - 417, 408, 528. PM me if I can help with specifics.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
A few comments.. first on any forum you will find ppl who are not happy with where they live or their city. Many have valid points regarding the conditions of the city or the state, but that doesn't mean everyone in Orlando would agree. It is a good a idea to consider the advice on a particular area to rent or buy a house and also you need to be deligent and do your homework before you buy or rent no matter what the advice given here.

As far as your car.. there is no inspection in FL. You do have to pay a one time tax (value) on your vehicle when you register your car (getting a new tag) but after that the price of tags is relative inexpensive compared to other states.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:57 AM

169 posts, read 655,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
A few comments.. first on any forum you will find ppl who are not happy with where they live or their city. Many have valid points regarding the conditions of the city or the state, but that doesn't mean everyone in Orlando would agree. It is a good a idea to consider the advice on a particular area to rent or buy a house and also you need to be deligent and do your homework before you buy or rent no matter what the advice given here.

As far as your car.. there is no inspection in FL. You do have to pay a one time tax (value) on your vehicle when you register your car (getting a new tag) but after that the price of tags is relative inexpensive compared to other states.
That is true, but there are also statistics (that Disney cannot fudge) that are not opinions that are great indicators and sometimes support these opinions. For example the 5th highest crime rate in America and the highest crime rate in the state. The ninth most unaffordable city in America. The most tolls in Florida, I can go on and on with FACTS worthy of consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando