Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM

26 posts, read 58,661 times

Advertisements

I moved to NE Kissimmee a year ago for a new job with UCF's College of Medicine. I love the COM, but we've been disappointed in our neighborhood. We chose to live on Boggy Creek near East Lake Elementary so our son would have a good school--and it is. We love the teachers there, but it's a new school and has pretty much ZERO community spirit so far. Our old school was an established neighborhood school with skating parties once a month, established and active boy and girl scout troops,and so on. Oh, and they actually had their parents meetings in the evening, so parents who work could take part in the school's planning and such. What a concept! East Lake has everything at 3:30 pm (well, okay, they DO have some breakfast activities for parents, but that's a tough time to be getting one kid to daycare, the other to school, and attend a school meeting). Plus, we had two community centers within a few miles of us, a wonderful farmers market every weekend, and great libraries all around us. We could do something for free or very cheaply pretty much every weekend, within maybe 5 miles of our house!

As much as we love our son's education, the community is sadly lacking these kinds of activities we used to enjoy. DH is now working at Osceola Regional Med Center (although we're hoping maybe to move him to the VA if they EVER open ), so we need to stay on the south side of Orlando. With these things in mind, where are the best neighborhoods for us? DS is gifted, so we need really good schools all the way up to HS. We don't have lots of money yet (moving here was SO expensive!), but I'd like to start keeping tabs on neighborhoods, housing, and so on, so if a good opportunity arises, we can pounce! Any advice or personal experiences will be MOST welcome!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:14 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
I think what you are looking for is an established community. Most nice areas of Orlando are relatively new so that can be difficult. I would suggest looking into the Blankner/Boone district on the Southside of downtown. Also check out Dr, Phillips. Finding a place in Florida with real community spirit is hard to find trust me.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:19 AM

Sean1the1, I'm noticing that. It seems that the best community spirit is found in the 55+ communities! Do you mean Blankner Elementary and Boone HS? I love the Dr. Phillips area, but it's so far NW, and here I am in the extreme SE of the city. I love the energy here at Medical City, but it's just not family yet. I've heard excellent things about Northlake Park, but we really can't afford there yet, and the YMCA there is definitely an afterthought in the community.

Thank you for your help!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 AM

629 posts, read 1,720,638 times
Maybe because it's just a newer area. My area of central FL has a great little downtown, weekly farmers market, monthly classic car show, several street festivals throughout the year and a number of other events that produce a great sense of community.

Do some googling for events calendars near your area. Maybe there are some things going on just around the corner that you haven't found yet? Hope you can find something soon!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
Maybe because it's just a newer area. My area of central FL has a great little downtown, weekly farmers market, monthly classic car show, several street festivals throughout the year and a number of other events that produce a great sense of community.

Do some googling for events calendars near your area. Maybe there are some things going on just around the corner that you haven't found yet? Hope you can find something soon!
I totally agree everyone out there is just now getting a feel for the community give it a few years, and it will grow into that type of community. The 55+ communities have so much spirit because people there are so much alike.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Yes, unfortunately Lake Nona is very new community, even by Central Florida standards. I agree with the Boone/Blankner suggestion. It's on the southside and still should be easy access and reasonable commutes to your jobs but much more established neighborhoods that will have that community feel you are looking for. Also look in neighboring Conway and Belle Isle. Conway is slightly more affordable with more housing options but still in good community. I believe Shenandoah Elementary is the school there. I live very close to the area, I do not have kids yet, but I constantly see kids at the park, little league and signs for other community events going on. Towards the end of the school year you always see tons of yards decorated with "Boone Class of ___ grad" or "Blankner Pride" so I guess that's a good indication of school pride. And the football team is pretty good and they seem to always draw in thousands to their home games. I see alot of Orange around town so there must be alot of school spirit.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 AM

This all sounds wonderful, thank you! I know most of what I miss is just because Lake Nona is so new, but with a son in elementary school, missing all the fun activities his school used to do, I would like to find something soon. Unfortunately, we can't really afford Dr. Phillips, and it looks like Blankner's zone is even more expensive! Can anyone here speak to the Osceola Co. vs. Orange Co. School Districts? It really seems as though the Osceola Co. SD still has very much a "rural" mindset (kids off for rodeo, very few school activities like skating parties, etc.). How about the Orange Co. library system? Again, Osceola's libraries are tiny, and Orange has a $175/year fee for non-residents! I need to do some more exploring on my own, and I have time to do that, but I'm hoping to use your suggestions to narrow my search areas. I have a co-worker in Conway, and she loves it there, so that's a definite possibility. Thank you all!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Altamonte Springs and Maitland would be good options which would be more affordable but the commute would be pretty demanding, 45 mins at least without traffic, longer with. If the commute trade-off would be worth it to you I would look in these areas as well. Other suggestions if you're willing to tolerate a commute is to look into areas off of the 417 such as Tuscawilla, University Park, and possibly even Lake Mary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando