Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM

16 posts, read 23,023 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I'm new to the forums but have been reading a lot! I'm an almost 50 year old single female with two kids, 19 and 22. The younger one leaves for college soon, and the older one will be graduating from college next May. The older one has completed one WDWCP in the Spring of 2012 and is preparing to apply for another one for Fall 2014. I plan on retiring from teaching May 2015. There is nothing holding me here in Georgia. My plan for all my adult life is to retire, move to the Orlando area, and work for WDW part time, at least. My older daughter plans on being a "lifer" at her beloved company, and the younger one also plans on working for at least a while at Disney. All of this is very important information in locating a place for us to live.

I realize that I may be starting my search a bit early, but I'm a planner. I want all my plans laid out with the things I need to consider and do well before my actual move occurs. My older daughter and I will live together to save costs of having two households, and to, hopefully, afford a slightly nicer place. We will be renting initially as we get a lay of the land and find a home that suits us. We will have her income from work, my retirement income, and whatever I will make in a part time job. I would prefer a single family home, but would consider a townhouse and even an apartment, if necessary.

Here's the kicker, it has to be pet friendly and safe, safe, safe. We have two beagles that will make the move with us. They will be older, but that doesn't really matter too much. Obviously with our working locations being WDW or the surrounding areas, we need to be close to property. I am looking at Windermere and Doctor Phillips. What about areas of Winter Garden? I had considered Hunters Creek, but I keep reading iffy things about the safety now. Any comment on that? Finally, I know about Celebration, but that might be out of our price range. I'm getting the impression that Kissimmee should be completely off the list, correct? Ideal solution is single family home, fenced yard, safe, and with a community pool. Variations of that will be considered. No pets would be a deal breaker.

Please give me all your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. I need advice on places to live but also the logistics of making this kind of move. I've lived 30 minutes from my hometown all my life. This has been a long, long time dream of mine, and I'm determined to make it happen. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
What is your budget?

My first thought is the newer area of Windermere off of 535. These are newer communities (some with community pools) than are cheaper than the old part of Windermere and Dr. Phillips, but they're still safe and very convenient to Disney (although a bit of a schlep anywhere else). There is some shopping back there though.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
What is your budget?

My first thought is the newer area of Windermere off of 535. These are newer communities (some with community pools) than are cheaper than the old part of Windermere and Dr. Phillips, but they're still safe and very convenient to Disney (although a bit of a schlep anywhere else). There is some shopping back there though.
Agree with that if Dr Phillips isn't in the budget. There's some new shopping and restaurants out there and it's a very quick trip into Disney through the back roads.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Thank you. I have actually looked at the newer area. I like it and really like its proximity to property. The budget could go up to $1800 monthly. I'd like to keep it lower than that, if possible. This first place to live will be for a year or so while we both establish ourselves in the area and with jobs. Hopefully after that period we can afford to go a little higher.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
That's definitely enough for that area. You could even get into Dr. Phillips with that budget, although the property might not be as new. I prefer DP to the new Windermere area, but that's just me.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
That's definitely enough for that area. You could even get into Dr. Phillips with that budget, although the property might not be as new. I prefer DP to the new Windermere area, but that's just me.
as do I. With $1800, either area should be in the budget. DP has much better proximity to the rest of Orlando via I-4, the 528 and the turnpike

Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Thank you all for the information. Am I correct on my thoughts about Hunters Creek and Kissimmee? Any advice on Winter Garden or is that too far from where I want to be?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Kissimmee is a definite no. Hunters Creek is decent but I would stick to what others are posting. The newer back side of Windermere off 535. It's also close to the new winter garden shopping village, which is very nice. There is also a new nice subdivision being constructed in dr Phillips called Park Side (by meritage homes). I know you wouldn't be buying a new home but you can look at the website to get images of the community and homes. It would be a great location for you with it's proximity to the parks and the rest of Orlando.

http://www.meritagehomes.com/search/...o-fl/parkside/

Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Thank you all so much!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM

680 posts, read 1,921,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Kissimmee is a definite no. Hunters Creek is decent but I would stick to what others are posting. The newer back side of Windermere off 535. It's also close to the new winter garden shopping village, which is very nice. There is also a new nice subdivision being constructed in dr Phillips called Park Side (by meritage homes). I know you wouldn't be buying a new home but you can look at the website to get images of the community and homes. It would be a great location for you with it's proximity to the parks and the rest of Orlando.

Parkside | Orlando, FL | Meritage Homes
Unfortunately, if her budget tops out at $1800, it is very unlikely that she will be able to afford Park Side which starts at $460K and after options will likely be over $500K... unless she has over $200K to put down.

Although that community is selling well, I think it's way over priced... $500K for a 2700 sq ft tract home? DP is nice, but it is not bubble pricing nice...

However, I have seen some preliminary plans for that surrounding area that seem to indicate a lot of new development in that area within the coming years that will probably include some new townhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando