Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 03:24 PM

10 posts, read 28,715 times

Advertisements

For the past few years I have been living in CO, but wishing to relocate to FL. The main reason is wanting to be closer to family. They all live on the East coast and one of my parents is ill.

I am a single mom with 2 kids 11 and 8 (boy and girl) and we have been living in CO for a little over 6 years now. About a month ago I started a new job, which I like. Both of my kids are academically advanced and their school does well with them.

I have a job lined up for me and a school set up for them in the Space Coast area. I'm just looking for opinions and wonder if anyone had to move to be closer to family and what their experience have been like. Any regets? Any positives?

See the pros and cons I have so far below:

COLORADO

Work - seems flexible, diverse, good pay (a few thousands more than the position in FL) and benefits, cons: might require long hours sometimes

School - flexible for advanced learning, friends

Home - we own an will rent it for a year or so and then sell it, I predict it will sell well

Area - love the scenery, hate the people (in general), a few friends, no family

FLORIDA

Work - it would be a job to get me there, seems good, but will have to wait and see or look for another one once there

School - looks good in paper and reviews, possibility for new friends

Home - Will rent for a year and buy after selling the one on CO

Area - have visited a few times, mostly familiar with Orlando instead, love the beach, will get me closer to family

One of my concerns is that my boy is becoming a teenager and I wonder if there's enough for him to do there or if I'm better off waiting and moving to Orlando, FL in the future. Also worried for both about bullying and safety. I just feel lonely in CO since I have no family support and barely any friends here. It's been a sacrifice to me in order to have my kids attend a good school, but I'm wondering if it is worth it. At the same time, I am afraid I will regret the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Since you have a job set up I would say the hard part is handled. Renting for the first year is a good idea for obvious reasons. Brevard County Schools are very highly ranked (within Top 10 in Florida) so you should be in good shape there. The Space Coast area offers plenty to do for kids besides the beaches of course and you'll find the usual amenities for kids that you'd find anywhere else such as youth recreational leagues, special interest groups at school and whatnot. Most good schools now have zero tolerance for bullying and since you seem to be an involved parent in the educational process wouldn't worry as much about that. The Space Coast is fairly transient in terms of new residents thanks to the high tech industry in the area, so it's probably much less provincial in terms of kids knowing one another all the way through school which is probably what you are accustomed to and understandably worried about. As a single Mom with an ill parent it would be a good move for you in my opinion since you've pretty much set everything up and are moving someplace it seems that'll transition well for you. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks for your reply and for giving some insight on the area. Definitely a difficult decision for me, so I take any input I can get!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 AM

15 posts, read 39,063 times
I currently live in the Seattle Washington area. Leaving the beautiful scenery is a negative. I too am making a decision to move back to Florida because of aging parents and my Grandmother who lives with my parents. I am doing it because my parents need the support to take care of my grandmother and I want to spend time with them while they are still healthy.

Its a very tough choice especially when it involves children. Though I think children are very flexible with regard to where they live. As long as they have a great support at home, kids will make new friends and and adapt to their new place. The key is research, research, research, you have started in the right place with these forums.

I am looking forward to creating new memories with them.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:26 PM

We are in a similar situation. I feel so far away from home, especially with my father being sick. I want to be closer to my parents so that I can support them both as they age. Even though is beautiful where I live in CO, I think it would be a refreshing move. My oldest is having a hard time with the move since he has made lots of friends here, but my daughter being younger and easy going seems to be excited about moving. Like you said, I think as long as I support him through the move, I'm sure he will make friends quick just like he always does and adapt. Good luck with your decision as well.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
I think Colorado has a much better quality of life than Central Florida. That said, there is no place like home. And friends and family. If you are lonely then no beautiful scenery can make up for that longing for the familiar. Your children may have an adjustment to many things including the heat and humidity. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,483 times
I've lived in Colorado (Denver to be exact) and my parents live in Florida, so I'm very familiar with both. I personally prefer Colorado over most of Florida, however Colorado does have a major drawback being isolated from other big metros. More importantly though, Florida seems like a much better fit for you being that your family is there and you generally don't care for the people in Colorado. Space Coast area is a nice region of Florida since it attracts a pretty well-educated populace, feels less crowded than the SE region, and has the beach unlike Orlando.

On the side note, Colorado and Florida have way different vibes as you know. Colorado has more of western/west coast feel all around in terms of people and ambiance. Florida is more of an east coast feel which may suit you better. QOL is generally more dependent on your personal circumstances rather than what state you live in. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: