Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 23,906 times

Advertisements

I'm a young 20 something professional and my job is relocating to Orlando. The exact office location is tbd but it will most likely be near International drive or John Young Parkway not to far from SeaWorld.

I currently live in the midwest in a newer constructed apt in one of the nicest (very safe) areas of my city. I'd like to have the same style of living. I'd like to buy my first condo or home (most likely under 150k). I do not have children but don't want to be in a bad school district for resale value purposes.

I'd like to live within 30 minutes of work with a no toll drive to/from work. I have heard from fellow coworkers to look to the south and west, but have no idea about orlando living.

Can any orlando residents suggest where I should start my search?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 AM

24 posts, read 133,125 times
The best advice I can give you is to contact a real estate agent. It's free for buyers and they can search all of orlando and email you properties for you to see online. If you do need help feel free to contact me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl19 View Post
I'm a young 20 something professional and my job is relocating to Orlando. The exact office location is tbd but it will most likely be near International drive or John Young Parkway not to far from SeaWorld.

I currently live in the midwest in a newer constructed apt in one of the nicest (very safe) areas of my city. I'd like to have the same style of living. I'd like to buy my first condo or home (most likely under 150k). I do not have children but don't want to be in a bad school district for resale value purposes.

I'd like to live within 30 minutes of work with a no toll drive to/from work. I have heard from fellow coworkers to look to the south and west, but have no idea about orlando living.

Can any orlando residents suggest where I should start my search?
Thanks for your help!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:22 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,645 times
You won't find homes in that area for 150,000 dollars. You MIGHT (and big might) find a condo in that price range. The cost of housing in Orlando is ridiculous relative to the wages, so I hope your job will pay well. Also, insurance and property taxes are relatively high, so again your job had better compensate you.

That area your job may be located at is a rough area of town, too, if you wanted to live right near work. It's not as bad as some cities and not the worst in Orlando but it isn't an area immune from crime. The worst area in town in probably the area between 50 and I-4, the little pocket in there near Paramore and Pine Hills on the west side of town. Just avoid that area, it is a dump and the bulk of the murders in Orlando happen there.

You may want to look at Seminole County, Winter Park, Baldwin Park, even Avalon Park. Winter Park and Baldwin Park are expensive places to live, homes and condos start at about 200,000 dollars for something as small as an economy apartment. Avalon Park is cheaper but there is also less stuff out there (it is next to Bithlo, which is a rural area), and Seminole County gets you further away from work. Oviedo is at least a 35-50 minute trip from that area during rush hours.

My brother has a friend who bought a house back in 2002 for 90,000 dollars. It is in unincorporated Orange County but has an Orlando address. It is next to a bunch of eyesores though like Amscotts, tire dealerships, etc. The usual crap that Orlando is full of.

Since you need to find a job here I'll wish you the best of luck, especially as you seem to have relatively high expectations for the area.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 AM

Thank you for information. I have a great job its just relocating to Orlando. I'm hoping to find the same quality of life in Florida. Its good to know areas to avoid and what's safe. I will be taking some trips to go house hunting and learn about the city in the next few months. Just looking for any insider tips

Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Are you working with a real estate agent?
Quote:
Thank you for information. I have a great job its just relocating to Orlando. I'm hoping to find the same quality of life in Florida. Its good to know areas to avoid and what's safe. I will be taking some trips to go house hunting and learn about the city in the next few months. Just looking for any insider tips

Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 AM

I will be soon. My company is setting me up with a local real estate agent to begin talking to about the area and what will fit me.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 AM

Good Deal! Good Luck with your search!
Quote:
I will be soon. My company is setting me up with a local real estate agent to begin talking to about the area and what will fit me.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 PM

143 posts, read 651,763 times
Quote:
From the sound of it, and given where you're going to be working, you should consider Metro West or the SandLake Area. Both are good for people in there 20's, and are upper-middle class. You might hear some things about Metro West's crime, but they have a lot more cops there now, and there is virtually no crime there now. Just make sure you move in to a place that is West of Kirkman Rd and South of Old Winter Garden, but North of I-4. Alot of place bill themselves as Metro West, but really aren't. Avalon is noce, but way out there, and the commute is horrible becuase our city engineers are retards. You'll be hard pressed to find anything in a decent area for 150K though, uneless its in Oviedo or somewhere else in the sticks.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
Shopgirl,
I think you should stay close to work. While there are many great areas all voer why ad stress of a commute to your day? Near Sea World I would go for Dr. Phillips or Hunters Creek. There area few communities close as well that don't fall in either of these. There are lots of options. good luck and Welcome to the area when you arrive.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 AM

18 posts, read 70,754 times
Shopgirl it is a buyers market, I should know I'm trying to sell. Having a realtor will be great and remember that there are way more houses than buyers so find the area you like first. The way the market is right now you should be able to find a nice place. I would suggest that you don't narrow your search to newer construction I think a lot of people make that mistake. Some of the best areas of Central Florida are older more established neighborhoods (they have trees) and if you're looking for an investment finding an older home in good shape in a nice neighborhood that just needs some updating (ie ugly wallpaper, older cabinets, vinyl floors) should bounce back in value more than a cookie cutter stucco box with neighbors 3 feet away especially if you plan to stay awhile and like home improvement projects. One of the best indicators is to look at the yards, that's harder to do with condos but even there look at your neighbors. Do they have blinds and curtains up? Flower pots outside? In other words look for signs that people appreciate their homes and are improving them, not letting them go to pot. You may also look into renting a home, or rent to own most if not all sellers are open to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando