Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,507 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a new member and i am looking to buy a property in the Dr.Phillips area in the new year. I have been told to find a realtor as they work for the buyer and not the seller. Could anyone give me some advice on the best way of going about the best procedure of doing this. I live in London, England and would possibly like to spend 2 or 3 months a year with my family in Florida. I would appreciate any help,
Many Thanks,
Danny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,139,288 times
yup, the best way to go about buying a property in a far away place is to find yourself a professional realtor that can show you the area, make sure you find the best home and best deal, make sure you don't get taken advantage of since things are most certainly different here in the states, and take you through the closing process smoothly.

All this and buyer's agents don't cost you a thing! We usually get our compensation out of the commission the seller pays their broker.

What exactly were you looking for, a townhome, single family, condo, condo-tel? Looking to rent it out the other parts of the year or keep it exclusively for yourself? Depending on how you'd like to use it will effect the area's that will be best substantially. Dr. Phillips is a great area, but not many homes zoned as short-term rental (which is what you will need if you plan on renting it out during the other 9-10 months of the year) and there are many different types of properties to choose from. Everything from the location, the amenities, and most importantly the management company that is on site will be things that must be considered. I know this area pretty well and can always help.

Also, will you be getting a British based mortgage or U.S. based, Or paying all cash? Depending on what happens with the exchange rate during the life of your ownership it can substantially effect your monthly payments should you be obtaining a mortgage. Check out my website (see my profile on the forum), my link to Holiday/Vacation homes is still under construction but there is a link there to a mortgage broker that specializes in mortgages for your situation. I also have a contact with Wachovia bank that still does foreign national mortgages.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 AM

5 posts, read 24,751 times
Hi, I am in the same position as you. I am looking to first rent a furnished house but then buy a property in the Dr Phillipd area and was just wondering on how things have progressed for you and if you have any advice. I plan to relocate from the UK in May 09
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: