Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 12,861 times

Advertisements

Hiya, Myself, partner and our daughter are seriously considering moving to America from England to live. I have been looking at houses to buy there and there are some really beautiful houses ones that we only dream of living in, and one day hope we can. How do we go about the process of moving and how hard is it to be able to stay there?

Could i get some info on the nice areas, i need somewhere where there are local shops and a good school for my 8 yr old daughter.

My partner is a skilled enginner and i work in retail so getting a job over there is a must too, but i dont know how to go about this either!!!

Help pleaseeeeeeeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 PM

94 posts, read 326,996 times
well there are good house out in the north lake area and there have been an influx of british and other europeans into the area .... we are selling our house and there several nice older homes in tradiitonal neighborhoods.....good luck ....from this aea you could look into lake mary sanford for work

Old 11-19-2007, 05:59 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,144,289 times
First thing first is to find those jobs! You can check out CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site , Find jobs. Network. Build a better career. Monster works for me. | Monster.com , Orlando news, information, weather, hurricane coverage, sports, entertainment, shopping, restaurants, real estate, jobs, business, classifieds -- OrlandoSentinel.com, and you can do a google search for other similar job posting forums.

Second is to take a trip or two here to look around. A real estate agent can help you and drive you around area's you may like on these trips. You may also want to do a short term rental while you get your bearings and look at various neighborhoods in your new locale.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,044 times
From what I have read on this forum in the past, there are steps you have to take to come here if you are not a citizen. Perhaps you should search the forum to see how other Brits came here.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 PM

64 posts, read 202,246 times
Xkayx,
Check out Lake Mary, Florida. The city just finished #4 in Money Magazine's Best Places to Live. It has wonderful schools. You can compare Florida's schools by visiting the Department of Education for Florida's Home page. There you can compare school grades and FCAT scores. I'm a local teacher & basketball coach. If I can be of further assistance let me know.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:58 PM

126 posts, read 570,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkayx View Post
Hiya, Myself, partner and our daughter are seriously considering moving to America from England to live. I have been looking at houses to buy there and there are some really beautiful houses ones that we only dream of living in, and one day hope we can. How do we go about the process of moving and how hard is it to be able to stay there?

Could i get some info on the nice areas, i need somewhere where there are local shops and a good school for my 8 yr old daughter.

My partner is a skilled enginner and i work in retail so getting a job over there is a must too, but i dont know how to go about this either!!!

Help pleaseeeeeeeee
Hi

This won't be what you want to hear, but it's meant to be helpful......forget it, there's no way you can move to the USA from the UK, for the following reasons.....

1) You have to be skilled in a job which has a shortage of US workers.
2) You would have to find an employer who would sponsor you for a visa and they would only do that if they could not find an American to do the job.
3) Even if your partner qualified under 1) and 2) above, if you are not married, you would not be allowed to move here with him.
4) There is a retrogression on visas right now and has been since October 2006.

I personally know several people who are waiting for visas under the skilled worker category and have been waiting 3 years already. They have been told they could be waiting up to another 5 years!

Sorry to not be more positive, but best you know at the outset it's a non-starter

Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 AM

4 posts, read 12,861 times
thanks for all the advice it has been helpful

Marypoppins
Good things come to those who wait so i would be prepared to wait for it if i had too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando