Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 PM

56 posts, read 119,432 times

Advertisements

So, apparently, I heard in my employee break room that there is, in fact, going to be a new Publix in the plaza where the free standing Publix Liquors and now closed Albertsons is located. I know because one of the team leaders might end up being transferred to it.

For awhile it's been known that they were going to include their own Apron's Culinary school there, and I previously thought they were going to open a Greenwise, a tip off by one of the lower managers. However, that was a project that was put to a halt in 2008, I later I found out, so, mistake on my part when I posted it in another one of the grocery store threads. I was perplexed.

So, I found out another kind of Publix is apparently opening this year. From what I hear, it's supposed to be some sort of hybrid Greenwise and regular Publix with dedicated bars for certain foods; wine bar, cheese bar, chocolate bar, etc and should be the model they'll be using in their North Carolina stores. I've been calling it Foodie Publix, lol.

Does anyone have anymore information about this? By the way, I'm not trying to plug the company here, ha ha, I'm just interested in organic and gourmet establishments. I like that Orlando is, slowly but surely, trying to include healthier eating and grocery options. Love that we are getting a third Whole Foods for Altamonte Springs, for instance, and two Trader Joe's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:59 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Finally got around to get over there. Not bad. Seems like a regular publix, just with more stuff and specialty counters (including an event planning/catering area and hot bar serving asian food by the pound).

Almost reminded me of a Wegmans in terms of its size

Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevezan View Post
S Love that we are getting a third Whole Foods for Altamonte Springs, for instance, and two Trader Joe's!
Actually it'll be a fourth Whole Foods as they're not closing the Aloma Avenue location in Winter Park when the one on 17-92 at Lee Road opens! FYI, there's also a new Fresh Market opening in the former Albertson's on Lake Mary Blvd in Lake Mary sometime within the next couple of months.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevezan View Post
So, apparently, I heard in my employee break room that there is, in fact, going to be a new Publix in the plaza where the free standing Publix Liquors and now closed Albertsons is located. I know because one of the team leaders might end up being transferred to it.

For awhile it's been known that they were going to include their own Apron's Culinary school there, and I previously thought they were going to open a Greenwise, a tip off by one of the lower managers. However, that was a project that was put to a halt in 2008, I later I found out, so, mistake on my part when I posted it in another one of the grocery store threads. I was perplexed.

So, I found out another kind of Publix is apparently opening this year. From what I hear, it's supposed to be some sort of hybrid Greenwise and regular Publix with dedicated bars for certain foods; wine bar, cheese bar, chocolate bar, etc and should be the model they'll be using in their North Carolina stores. I've been calling it Foodie Publix, lol.

Does anyone have anymore information about this? By the way, I'm not trying to plug the company here, ha ha, I'm just interested in organic and gourmet establishments. I like that Orlando is, slowly but surely, trying to include healthier eating and grocery options. Love that we are getting a third Whole Foods for Altamonte Springs, for instance, and two Trader Joe's!
The Dr Phillips location was supposed to be a Greenwise store but apparently Publix has ditched the concept going forward, probably due to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's expansion/planned expansion into the state. The hybrid stores you speak of are something other grocery chains like Wegman's, Kroger and Harris Teeter have been doing for awhile. Since Publix has been expanding into other states they've probably figured out they need to change the concept a bit in order to compete.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Personally I think Publix is over expanding and beginning to canabilize itself.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree. In Lake Mary/West Sanford for example we have three Publix stores within a mile of one another and if you expand to two miles, a total of four.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yup.... the second location off sand lake is a bit more "nice" but has the exact same stuff you can buy across the street, by and large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando