Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,258 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm a 27 year old single guy with a potential job prospect down in Disney for the next 4 years or so. Taking the job/wage out of the equation, since I'll be with the same company I'm with now, just relocated, I wanted to get some local input on a move from NYC to Orlando. As someone who likes going to bars and socializing, what is the social life like down in Orlando for someone my age? What are the places to live? Is it easy to meet young people?

I'm very curious if anyone else my age has recently done this transition, and to see how their experience is. I'm sure it difficult to compare living in Manhattan to living in Orlando, but I'm fully on board with buying a car and making that switch.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM

83 posts, read 168,560 times
The area of nightclubs for young adults is in downtown. However, if you work in Disney, it makes sense to rent or buy a condo somewhere is 32821. What is your budget?

PS: I am not from NYC, but I am from Europe, and "living the city" is something that I would never be able to live without, so I know exactly what you are meaning talking about the transition. Yes, Orlando will take some accommodation to, but, with time and in the right area, you will find your place with no doubt. I live in Dr Phillips, and it gives me a right combination of city and safety. It might be also a good choice for you, if you can afford it. There is plenty of nightlife, fine dining, and shopping, as well.

~Natasha~

Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 11,258 times
Well right now I'm spending $1300+/month on rent, so my ceiling would be somewhere in that range, but I don't need anything luxurious.

What's the commute like from downtown to Disney?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:26 PM

83 posts, read 168,560 times
On a daily basis? There is one word to describe it -- "hell" Seriously, the way from downtown to Disney is via I-4, and it gets really backed up, especially, if there is an accident which is not that rare. In a regular traffic, it will be around 35 mins.

Therefore, if you ask me, it's better to live somewhere closer to Disney -- check out 32821, 32836 zip codes, and on the weekend to get loose in downtown.

$1,300 might get you decent 1-2 bdrm condo in those zip codes that I gave you.

~Natasha~

Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
You could afford something downtown for that, I'd think. It would be the most comparable to NYC but not even in the same league. So definitely plan on everything feeling somewhat suburban. Even downtown feels small, but it has some really pretty neighborhoods and some cool hangouts. There's certainly more going on than in the suburbs and parts of it are even walkable.

I spent a couple years in a Manhattan a few years back but I'm back in Orlando. I live in Dr. Phillips and I love it, but it's totally suburban. It is closer to Disney than downtown (and you don't have to get on I-4 which can be a nightmare), and there's a plethora of restaurants, bars, and high-end grocery stores.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaSellsOrlando View Post
On a daily basis? There is one word to describe it -- "hell" Seriously, the way from downtown to Disney is via I-4, and it gets really backed up, especially, if there is an accident which is not that rare. In a regular traffic, it will be around 35 mins.

Therefore, if you ask me, it's better to live somewhere closer to Disney -- check out 32821, 32836 zip codes, and on the weekend to get loose in downtown.

$1,300 might get you decent 1-2 bdrm condo in those zip codes that I gave you.

~Natasha~
With $1300/month, the op could probably find something small in Dr Phillips and be halfway between downtown and Disney. That's what I would do

Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I agree with most everyone else. Dr. Phillips would be the best area for your commute. Downtown is definitely doable, as long as you don't mind the drive. You may want to also look at Winter Park, for your price range you could find something within walking distance to Park Ave. Those would be my recommendations, in that order.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM

290 posts, read 688,712 times
Kind of funny, I did the opposite of you as I moved from Orlando to NYC last year..same age. :-)

But definitely check out The District on Universal Blvd..it's in between Disney & downtown, more so closer to Disney though. A lot of younger types live there, and it's really the nicest apartment complex outside of anything downtown (other than maybe the very similar Lofts at SoDo, just south of downtown). They have a bunch of diff floorplans from studios up to 3 bedrooms, that I think start around $1100 so would fit in your budget. Are you actually working with Disney, or just in the area? Because they do (or they did before when I looked there) have a discount for Disney employees. Availability might be an issue though.

DP area would be nice and has a small strip of restaurants and lounges on Sandlake. You will find a lot more "older money" there though..the cougar types and all..just go to a place called Rocco's Tacos & you'll see what I mean. ;-) lol Also, there's not so much of the apartment type in this area, but condos & townhomes which could put you a little over your budget if you're in the true, nicer DP area (more around $1400-$1600).

If you did downtown, there's quite a few, but a couple apartment complexes I'd say to look into would be...the most obvious, 55 West, which starts around $1200 for 1-bed..a brand new luxury complex opening next month, which my sister is the manager of (yeah, I name dropped, haha), called Skyhouse Orlando, which will start just under $1300 for studios..Uptown Place (formerly Echelon) that start around $1000 for the smaller floorplans..The Grande, but these are condos that you'd have to lease from an owner, but the complex is really nice. Although some might mention it, I'd steer clear of City View, just because of it's borderline location to Parramore & that area west of I-4, a not so great area. Another idea if looking downtown, is to rent one of the smaller but typically modern homes in the Thornton Park area. It's a beautiful area basically in downtown, but you'd more than likely have to get a roommate as it is expensive.

Whichever way you choose to go, good luck! As for the experience of living there as a whole, as I've said many times, to each his own. I lived there my whole life and just wanted to get the hell out..was tired of the same ol' stuff and just wanted to get into some new things. I look at Orlando as a great place to raise a family, but it's eh for a young person..but for you, being new to it, it should be ok for a few years.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM

11 posts, read 18,439 times
I moved from Boston to Orlando a while ago, and you're definitely in for a lifestyle change. I had a good experience, and hopefully yours will be a positive as well.

Some people call Florida God's waiting room, but Orlando has a younger crowd and is great for anyone in their 20's and 30's. It's a great place to live if you're single. The people are friendly, and there are a lot of bars/restaurants to go to. They don't compare to New York, so keep your expectations low. Most of them are chains, so you really have to look for something original, or get used to Chili's.

The cost of living is much lower, although compared to NY just about everywhere is. A lot of people live in gated communities. Altamont Springs, Windermeree, and Dr. Phillips are great places to live. If you haven't looked there, I would definitely encourage you to. Don't even bother looking in Kissimmee... it's horrible there.

If you don't play golf or tennis, try one of them. Go to the beach whenever you can; they are nothing like ours in the northeast. Cocoa beach is about 45 minutes outside of Orlando, and it's pretty amazing. Me and my friends used to rent surf boards for $10 and stay out for a couple hours. Some of my best memories are there.

Stay away from Daytona Beach, especially during bike week.

Good luck on with your move, and I hope everything goes well for you. Try to enjoy Florida and get out of the Disney bubble every once in a while. The people there are pretty friendly, and you're most likely going to make friends from ll over the country. Enjoy!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 AM

257 posts, read 824,376 times
I moved from NYC to Orlando at 32 (a year ago). I don’t go out much as I have kids, but I recommend living downtown. The commute to Disney is going to be annoying but I think it would be worth it to live somewhere that you can walk to restaurants and bars and stores in your free time since that is what you are used to and that is what I miss most about NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando