Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 28,035 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am moving to Orlando in January and considered Sabal Palm for renting. It will hopefully be only for a year. After I have signed for papers, I am encountering a lot of bad fuzz about this community. Does any one have any good comments or are all those comments true?

Thank you and enjoy the festivities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:09 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
The amazing thing is that this community (used to be) beautiful. When I lived in Orlando I had a friend that lived there. As soon as someone was raped by their staircase, they sure enough broke their lease and left. They seemed to start letting the wrong people in, and it became a hotbed for all sorts of crime, including some really brazen robberies of single mothers and homicide. Lots of car burglaries, lots of violence, and in an environment where you just wouldn't expect it.

thaspecial should have some good, more up to date advice on safe rentals. He is a pizza delivery man in the area and if you can feel safe delivering pizza, you can certainly feel safe living there.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:34 AM

143 posts, read 651,723 times
I live a few miles from that place, and a friend moved out about a year ago. I almost moved there, but decided to go a little further into Metro West instead. Crime has gotten a lot better for Metro West as a whole, thanks to the steped up, privately paid for police force. (the developer has used HOA fees to hire off-duty cops). I just saw a report on violent crimes for Metro West, and we're down to like 1 a month. That being said, the problem with Sabal Palms is that its just on the Edge of Metro West, on Raliegh St. Raliegh St. shoots straight into Pine Hills. The immedite area, i.e the Winn Dixie shopping center, the Walgreens on Kirkman, etc. is not very nice. 2 miles makes a big difference on this side of town. Sabal Palms also does not have the people living there. The location causes them to have lower rents than most of Metro West, and lower rents leads to lower people. (I'm speaking in generalities here, so please, don't post a response informing me that poor people can be nice too, etc. The fact is, the lower the median income, the higher the crime, whether from community to community, city to city, or complex to complex).

Summary: I wouldn't live there with a girlfriend, but I would by myself.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:56 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,242 times
I agree with the other posters....look someplace else. I've heard too many bad things about Sabal Palms to recommend it.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 28,035 times
Thanks everybody for the comments!!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,904 times
Wow,,perception is amazing!..I just moved awaybecuse we bought a home. But livedthere last2 yrs . No, itsntwhat itwasbuttruth is no communityisthese days. HOWEVER, IT IS A VERY VERY QUIET ANDBEAUTIFUL COMMUNITY! CAN ONE DOBETTER? ..SURE WE ALWAYS CAN BUT ITS A BEAUTIFUL AREABUT MANAGEMENT? TRY REACHING THEM ON THE PHONE..NO T VERY PROFESSIONAL AT ALL......

T

Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,904 times
Default wow

Loved it there..quiet, beuatiful..but expensive

Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
If a resident gives info that the homeowners assoc. uses their fees to pay for extra police presence I think that speaks volumes. Metro West us surrounded, I repeat

surrounded by bad areas. Take heed. It may look pretty from the inside and the price may appear attractive, but just say you have been warned.

Also, some realtors and homeowners may say how wonderful it is but take caution. Of course if you own property in the area (or trying to sell property) you do not want your area known as high crime because property values will plummet (even more) and you will be unable to sell. I would proceed carefully.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
I originally signed a lease there, and I was all ready to move in. I ran into 4 to 5 police officers at a nearby restaurant and decided to ask them what they knew of the area. Glad I did. As soon as I mentioned the name, their eyes got wide and jaws dropped. They said absolutely don't live there. They are called to the complex every week for robberies, etc. They said there was a shooting there last month.

It looks really nice on the outside, but don't live there. I'm a young, single woman, so as soon as I was told this, I was able to break my lease. The complex has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee for various reasons, such as an out of state move, which was my case. It's as if the lease never happened.

I ended up finding the Vinings at Westwood on Westwood Rd. It's kind of over by Seaworld. I've been here a month, and so far I've had no problems. I feel safe, and I can get anywhere I want pretty quickly.

Good luck with your search, and I hope you find a different community!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 AM

36 posts, read 90,122 times
I used to live on the same street. It sucked. Stay away from MetroWest in general, it's
simply not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando