U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 AM

10 posts, read 16,069 times

Advertisements

We moved this past July so have been here in central FL for 4 months now. Did tons of reading on stats and areas. Moved because of a job offer for my husband. We are very glad to be here but were surprised at how much information was incorrect or down right wrong. Here is what we have learned;
Renting for less than one year was just about impossible. The Re agent told us of some "Hotel tax" that would have to be paid. This tax must be high as no one wants to pass it on to the renters or as the owners to pay it. We paid 4 months rental to get out of our rental agreement. We rented in Apopka at over 2000.00 a month so you can see the big hit we took for shortening our lease. Be sure you know the area where you rent as I am a suburbanite and Apopka was remote for us.
Car insurance is through the roof unless you come from NJ. Orlando is a higher rate of car insurance because of the tourists. I won't bother to explain, just be prepared to pay a few hundred more.
Allstate and other large insurance companies will not even write homeowners insurance in FL and when you do get a company who will be prepared to pay. Sink holes and flooding is not covered. Yes, we have had 2 sink holes in just my development
Changing the titles of of 2 cars and getting 2 licenses were over 1,000. My passport was not good enough to prove who I was for the DMV! Had to go to the SS office in Orlando, swear on my life and show much paperwork to prove who I was to get a SS card which in 57 years have never been asked to do but needed it for my license. The DMV couldn't understand that along with showing a utility bill I (the homemaker) did not have a W2. Thought i was an alien for not working out side the home.
If you buy a newer home know that your cell phone will most likely not work in your home even with the over priced boster the cell people want you to buy. Seems something to do with construction. Where we rented in Apopka even going outside to make a call was ify. People were funny about it, maybe because the weather is so wonderful here they didn't mind talking on their front lawn. Starting to set up home keeping with sporadic or no cell was extremely frustrating.
Use big name movers. Firpo/Heritage movers were wonderful. The second move to our home was a nightmare. RE agent said she heard good things about AAA insta move…..beyond horrible Damaged most every piece of wood furniture I have taken car of for most my married life. Didn't get extra insurance because I thought a 30 min. move would be easier than the 2 day move. Yes, i did the research. Remember this is all someones opinion and experience. Did I mention that they low balled me and the price was double?
Water is crazy high here. Need/have to water your lawn along with chemicals inside and outside the house, a little over $1,000. Unless you are a fan of large and small bugs. Termites are to be warrantied against too $300 for just that. We were not prepared for the cost of inside/outside pest control and watering.
Produce is kinda pathetic and twice the price of where we moved from SE PA. Why??? Chicken and beef are high too. What is the deal with finding good Italian bread….no such thing. I miss crusty bread and don't tell me to drive 2 hours to Tampa.thanks
Really wondering where this 20% cost of living decrease is. The DH paycheck gets more for his pocket but as yet we haven't seen any other place we have saved. Wait a min. it is November and I still haven't turned the heat on…..
All in all. Moving isn't for the faint of heart. Hugely stressful and expensive to get a house sent up again. Think twice before moving and don't believe all you read. A different lifestyle and different expenses. Try to know what you are trading for. JMO & best wishes and hope this is more food for thought, oh, did I mention there is hardly getting around the HOA fees????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 AM

492 posts, read 945,796 times
Did you stay in Apopka? I would never recommend Apopka to anyone.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 AM

4,167 posts, read 8,627,101 times
I think that's very good advice by the OP. It's not just all about Mickey Mouse and sandy beaches.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM

550 posts, read 1,103,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow57 View Post
If you buy a newer home know that your cell phone will most likely not work in your home even with the over priced boster the cell people want you to buy. Seems something to do with construction. Where we rented in Apopka even going outside to make a call was ify. People were funny about it, maybe because the weather is so wonderful here they didn't mind talking on their front lawn. Starting to set up home keeping with sporadic or no cell was extremely frustrating.
Not sure what you're talking about here, but it doesn't apply to all of Florida. I've never had an issue using my cell phone in my house, nor has my wife. Ever.

Quote:
Use big name movers. Firpo/Heritage movers were wonderful. The second move to our home was a nightmare. RE agent said she heard good things about AAA insta move…..beyond horrible Damaged most every piece of wood furniture I have taken car of for most my married life. Didn't get extra insurance because I thought a 30 min. move would be easier than the 2 day move. Yes, i did the research. Remember this is all someones opinion and experience. Did I mention that they low balled me and the price was double?
Well, I used a smaller mover (just two guys), and they did a fantastic job of moving all our stuff into our house. Two guys moved our piano - incredible. They did an A+ job. I think you just had a bad moving experience. It doesn't mean all of Florida has incompetent movers.

Quote:
Produce is kinda pathetic and twice the price of where we moved from SE PA. Why??? Chicken and beef are high too.
Food is now high everywhere. It's not noticeably higher here than it was in Georgia when we lived there. There are expensive and more affordable stores, to be sure, so you just have to pick the ones that sell for less. They exist in Florida, too.

Quote:
JMO & best wishes and hope this is more food for thought, oh, did I mention there is hardly getting around the HOA fees????
I live in a great neighborhood, and our HOA fees are, fortunately, purely voluntary. Again, it depends on where you live. You sound frustrated at all of these things happening to you, and I get the feeling that you're just blowing off steam with this post, but I think that many of the things you mention just aren't accurate. I think this is less a Florida issue and more about deficient investigation and planning on your part.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM

20 posts, read 32,677 times
Be prepared to get flamed.. lol

The die hard florida crazies are going to have a rebuttal for just about everything that you mentioned. I too experienced the exact same about the cell phone coverage, HOA fees, groceries and water. Everything out here is legalized criminal behavior.

I moved here thinking this was going to be a great place to raise kids and live the rest of our married lives. NOPE! I too got hit with the outrageous DMV fees, license and tag fees. I told them to screw themselves and I'll keep my current registration. I knew then amongst other things, that this would not be the place for me. I am moving back in three weeks. I too am breaking my lease and have no interest in staying any longer.

Just remember, it doesn't matter what their rebuttal is, I have personally experienced it myself and I know exactly what you are talking about. The die hard Florida crazies must have had their brains cooked by all this heat and they deserve to stay in this hell hole. I lived in three different states and this state is terrible... Period

Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM

12,135 posts, read 14,699,173 times
Keep moving. Maybe someday you will find a state that you can tolerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusGT77 View Post

The die hard florida crazies are going to have a rebuttal for just about everything that you mentioned. I too experienced the exact same about the cell phone coverage, HOA fees, groceries and water. Everything out here is legalized criminal behavior.

I moved here thinking this was going to be a great place to raise kids and live the rest of our married lives. NOPE! I too got hit with the outrageous DMV fees, license and tag fees. I told them to screw themselves and I'll keep my current registration. I knew then amongst other things, that this would not be the place for me. I am moving back in three weeks. I too am breaking my lease and have no interest in staying any longer.

Just remember, it doesn't matter what their rebuttal is, I have personally experienced it myself and I know exactly what you are talking about. The die hard Florida crazies must have had their brains cooked by all this heat and they deserve to stay in this hell hole. I lived in three different states and this state is terrible... Period

Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 PM

3,607 posts, read 6,396,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusGT77 View Post

As one of those die-hards of which you speak, all I can really say is if you don't think the trade off of a one-time $400 fee to transfer your tags to FL is worth having no state income tax then I feel sorry for you. Feel free to go back to the frigid north that is full of high taxes and enjoy raising your family fireside this winter. I'll be at the beach or Disney raising mine.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:58 AM

296 posts, read 513,697 times
Very interesting information. We live in New jersey and I have wanted to move to Florida for years because of the climate and cost of living compared to New Jersey.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 AM

550 posts, read 1,103,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
As one of those die-hards of which you speak, all I can really say is if you don't think the trade off of a one-time $400 fee to transfer your tags to FL is worth having no state income tax then I feel sorry for you. Feel free to go back to the frigid north that is full of high taxes and enjoy raising your family fireside this winter. I'll be at the beach or Disney raising mine.
So true. And they can remind me again in January how awful Florida is.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 AM

20 posts, read 32,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Flori-duh at it's finest. One time fee huh? That is acceptable to you? If Flori-duh can get away with that one time fee, don't you think they will start imposing another one time fee for other things too? Don't believe me? Tell me, how long were those tolls supposed to be enforced? Exactly. Instead of terminating the toll project as they said they would, they ended up increasing the tolls. Now they are adding new toll booths around the toll roads.

I am moving back home where there is no state income tax. SURPRISE! Flori-duh isn't the only state without an income tax. Taxes in my home state are not high and the cost of living is a lot lower than here. I'll raise my kids in a state that has many more things to do than Disney. My kids didn't enjoy disney as they saw right through it. I couldn't help but feel sorry for all those people getting excited looking at all the other people dressed up in costumes and waiting hours to ride a single ride as other people pushed and shoved everyone so rudely. To top it all off, they paid money to do all that. But hey, if disney floats your boat, then go and spend your very hard earned money there and waste it away on goofy or something like that.

Beaches? Yes, one up on that, but a beach is only eight hours away from where I will be moving back to. It can be a nice weekend getaway and then back to a wonderful lifestyle. I have always been happy in my home state. I love my home state and cannot wait to go back.

Fireside winters? Please! Please do. I would take a four month cool down away from this heat and humidity any day. I actually enjoy the colder weather. Don't get me confused with thinking that I enjoy 3 or 4 feet of snow. I lived in a climate like that and I will say that did get old quick. My home state has the perfect balance of cold and heat.

I feel sorry for you guys here. I really do. I have had the pleasure of living in many different areas of this nation and I will tell you that Florida is in a class of it's own. Literally, this place is very unique and not in a good way. Keep your stupid $400 one time fee. Keep your overpriced utilities and all the HOA's. Keep your stupid brain frying heat and humidity. And most of all, keep your stupid inbred florida nazi's here in Florida so the rest of the world will not be corrupt as your guys. I've never been this negative about people or places until I came here. You people are a special breed. Corrupt, rude, cheaters, liars and arrogant for no reason at all. Good ridden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando