Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:44 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA826 View Post
The whole state of Florida is horrible during the summer months. From Key West to Jacksonville. As for the Disney Parks, never do we go in the summer. Just horrible. The Clermont hills and lakes do provide a nice breeze during the summer, though. But still, during the summers it's just terrible with the humidity.
If you live near the coast, at least towards jax and Daytona, you do sometimes get the ocean breeze. It is notable imo and helps. Less mosquitoes too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 04:13 PM

563 posts, read 1,252,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
agreed. Def another reason why I prefer central FL over south FL.
Per this map, part of New Jersey has a humid sub-tropical climate just like a point as far south as Central Florida? Does anyone really believe that NJ is sub-tropical? Something not right about that map.

I worked outdoors for a big chunk of my life in landscape maintenance in Alabama and in the Florida Panhandle. I had to endure the worst of the winters and summers in those areas during the worst parts of the day. Having to sling-blade brush at noon in August when it was 104 degrees outside wasn't easy, even without the humidity issues that's supposed to torment the Central Floridians. I guess I've got thicker skin to the elements than most people, but hearing about awful humidity/heat here to the point of some feeling that they have to flee Florida altogether is puzzling to me. It does gets hot and humid here, but other parts of the country have sizzling heat issues on top of sub-freezing snow and ice seasons which we don't have.

Last edited by tricon7; 11-10-2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
Per this map, part of New Jersey has a humid sub-tropical climate just like a point as far south as Central Florida? Does anyone really believe that NJ is sub-tropical? Something not right about that map.

I worked outdoors for a big chunk of my life in landscape maintenance in Alabama and in the Florida Panhandle. I had to endure the worst of the winters and summers in those areas during the worst parts of the day. Having to sling-blade brush at noon in August when it was 104 degrees outside wasn't easy, even without the humidity issues that's supposed to torment the Central Floridians. I guess I've got thicker skin to the elements than most people, but hearing about awful humidity/heat here to the point of some feeling that they have to flee Florida altogether is puzzling to me. It does gets hot and humid here, but other parts of the country have sizzling heat issues on top of sub-freezing snow and ice seasons which we don't have.
Yeah I don't know if the map is completely accurate but I hear you on the heatwaves. Chicago, NYC, midwest etc are known for their extreme heatwaves at times. Can get much worse than central or north FL where the coasts keep things moderated. It works both ways depending on the season with the midwest being the prime example..... you get heatwaves and blizzards/ice storms in places like Kansas in Summer/winter, respectively.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Depends on what you like, obviously if you are a snow bird then FL will be better if just living there in winter, but overall I think Coastal and Northern GA, up through NC and maybe some of Coastal VA has better year round weather than Florida. They have more of a milder well rounded 4 season climate and you actually get a lot of spring and fall days instead of 8 months straight of 80+ temperatures.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Depends on what you like, obviously if you are a snow bird then FL will be better if just living there in winter, but overall I think Coastal and Northern GA, up through NC and maybe some of Coastal VA has better year round weather than Florida. They have more of a milder well rounded 4 season climate and you actually get a lot of spring and fall days instead of 8 months straight of 80+ temperatures.
Northern GA yes, coastal not so much. Actually I really dislike the weather and vibe in the coastal south (excluding FL), because it's like it can't decide if it wants to be beachy and warm year round like Florida, or cooler and seasonally warm like the beaches of northern states. Pick one for heaven's sake.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM

290 posts, read 688,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah I don't know if the map is completely accurate but I hear you on the heatwaves. Chicago, NYC, midwest etc are known for their extreme heatwaves at times. Can get much worse than central or north FL where the coasts keep things moderated. It works both ways depending on the season with the midwest being the prime example..... you get heatwaves and blizzards/ice storms in places like Kansas in Summer/winter, respectively.
I'll take an "extreme" heatwave or 2 lasting only 4-6 days over 7 months of just straight extreme heat every day! Yeah there's freak snowstorms/blizzards that occur every 5-10 yrs up here, but here in NYC this past winter it snowed maybe 4-5 days total, and was all gone a day or 2 later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando