Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,196 times

Advertisements

I've recently moved to orlando and am looking for apartments in and around Altamonte Springs area.

My office is in Maitland and Altamonte seems to be a nice area.

I would like to know regarding the safety in and around the Altamonte Mall - the intersection of 436 and roads opposite to the mall.

Any and all answers are welcome. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishiWiz View Post
I've recently moved to orlando and am looking for apartments in and around Altamonte Springs area.

My office is in Maitland and Altamonte seems to be a nice area.

I would like to know regarding the safety in and around the Altamonte Mall - the intersection of 436 and roads opposite to the mall.

Any and all answers are welcome. thanks
It's not the safest area and has quite a bit of traffic congestion which adds to the unsafe aspect. I would recommend going one exit north to Longwood (SR434). About a mile or so west of I-4 check out The Glades and Timberlake on Jamestown Boulevard (walkable to Fresh Market and a couple of restaurants/bars) as well as Camden Club, Sabal Park and Golf Brook which are on Wekiva Springs Road just north of SR434 and walkable to Publix, restaurants, bars and a Starbucks. The area is quite safe and a good bit less traffic congested unlike SR436 which is pretty much always jammed, though it can get quite busy at rush hour like most roads in the area.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,196 times
Thanks Kyle. So if I'm reading you correctly, you want me to be west of I-4?

I will be working around Maitland Center pkwy and don't have a car currently.

Are there any bus lines which will take me from Glades to the Maitland?

Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,232 times
Re: bus lines.
Go to the Lynx site. They have complete routes and schedules. There is route planning info also.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:47 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,246 times
My Grandma (who was in her 80's) lived in a non-gated condo community directly across the street from the Altamonte mall behind the Toys-R-Us for about 10 years and never had a single safety issue or feeling of being unsafe. Maitland is a nicer, more expensive area and 434 is a little less congested but there is nothing wrong with the area right around the mall except for the 436 traffic which IMO is one of the worst roads in the area.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
I live near this area, my apartments are not the nicest but not the worst at all, and we just got notified of 2 B&E's on the same night last week.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
My Grandma (who was in her 80's) lived in a non-gated condo community directly across the street from the Altamonte mall behind the Toys-R-Us for about 10 years and never had a single safety issue or feeling of being unsafe. Maitland is a nicer, more expensive area and 434 is a little less congested but there is nothing wrong with the area right around the mall except for the 436 traffic which IMO is one of the worst roads in the area.
Escondido (the condos behind Toys R Us) is a nice condo complex but the rental communities on that side of SR436 aren't anywhere close to that in terms of quality or safety. Look at the crime map for the area. Maitland is also problematic in terms of the nicer/more expensive descriptive as much of the west side falls into the higher crime areas of bordering Altamonte Springs and Eatonville, which are the areas convenient to Maitland Center.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishiWiz View Post
Thanks Kyle. So if I'm reading you correctly, you want me to be west of I-4?

I will be working around Maitland Center pkwy and don't have a car currently.

Are there any bus lines which will take me from Glades to the Maitland?
That would be your best bet in my opinion. I don't know bus routes but it would seem convenient to be at The Glades close to SR434, which is a main artery that passes along the west side of Maitland Center though not sure where that would be in proximity to your office building.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That would be your best bet in my opinion. I don't know bus routes but it would seem convenient to be at The Glades close to SR434, which is a main artery that passes along the west side of Maitland Center though not sure where that would be in proximity to your office building.
Uhh yes, while The Glades (off Jamestown) is extremely convenient to Link 23 (picks up in front of apartments), the walk from the stop nearest 434 & 414 to Maitland Center would be rough, with little to no sidewalks, and very pedestrian unfriendly roads to cross. For a single seat ride to Maitland Center I'd suggest living near the Mall such as Altamira, Central Park, Promenade at Uptown, or even some of the semi-shady stuff off Wymore. That way he'll be a short walk to a stop along Link 1's route which is a single seat ride to Maitland Center and all those shiny offices.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Uhh yes, while The Glades (off Jamestown) is extremely convenient to Link 23 (picks up in front of apartments), the walk from the stop nearest 434 & 414 to Maitland Center would be rough, with little to no sidewalks, and very pedestrian unfriendly roads to cross. For a single seat ride to Maitland Center I'd suggest living near the Mall such as Altamira, Central Park, Promenade at Uptown, or even some of the semi-shady stuff off Wymore. That way he'll be a short walk to a stop along Link 1's route which is a single seat ride to Maitland Center and all those shiny offices.
I agree regarding the walk through Maitland Center, not pleasant. I was also a bit blind-sided by the "having no car" issue as it wasn't mentioned in the original post. Living closer to work would be a large benefit in that situation as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando