Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM

83 posts, read 168,540 times

Advertisements

Talking about Avalon, you have to factor in your commute costs the toll roads.

Honestly, considering that your husband will be commuting 5Xweek to LM, the areas I would advise you are Dr Phillips (Windermere is already too far, IMO), Hunter's Creek (but if you don't like it for some reason, it's ok) or another area that is a bearable commute away from LM is Williamsburg, but, again, the homes are not that new. Still, do not be discouraged, because at the price of $250,000 you can get a nice home.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,437 times
With 250 you should be able to get something fairly close. Like the above poster avoid I-4, it's a traffic jam. Lockheed is right off the 408. So work is in Central Florida on the East side of Orlando. UCF is close by so when you buy see if you can find out if the community allows student renters (sometimes they'll say, no, but they do anyway, but at least you did due diligence). Attempt to avoid - We are sandwiched between - Most of the areas are going to be in communities with HOA's watch the fees. Sorry you asked for areas, Waterford Lakes used to be hot so is Avalon. The houses there are still nice. There's the Lee Vista area that's nice too, not quite as 'East' but close enough and I think you could reasonably do anything near the airport. Just be careful...the mileage in Orlando is "different" to other places. 30 minutes in one state is another town, in Orlando it's just across the way. Maybe I go the long way, but Dr. Phillips is FAR!!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:27 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
^ The OP is referring to the main Lockheed Martin facility at Sand Lake Rd and Kirkman, which is right outside of Dr. Phillips.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,437 times
Thanks Brink,. I was JUST getting on to note that I MUST be thinking of the wrong LM. Juanita, please disregard anything I suggested. I'm referring to a completely different side of town. Good luck and enjoy Otown!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM

78 posts, read 122,717 times
Thanks everyone. If anyone else has any feedback or advice that will be great! We will be moving in less than 3 weeks hopefully!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM

78 posts, read 122,717 times
Default Update!

Okay so we are finally here! We flew in on Friday night and we are so happy and lucky to be here! We are meeting our realtor next Saturday and Sunday. We are now considering Clermont, looks like we can afford much more there. How is it? Is it a good place to live and raise a family? How are the schools? How are the shopping places and restaurants? Only problem is the commute, my husband will be taking tolls everyday, but it'd only be 30 minutes. We read you can get a discount if you use the tolls daily too, but not sure.

We drove to Lake Nona and it was so remote and so empty, we saw only a few places to eat and shop. I'm a new driver cause I grew up in a big city, so I'm not comfortable having to take such long drive to get anywhere!

Thank you all so far, please give us more information on Clermont so we can make the right decision.

We love the weather, I don't need a huge coat anymore!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
Okay so we are finally here! We flew in on Friday night and we are so happy and lucky to be here! We are meeting our realtor next Saturday and Sunday. We are now considering Clermont, looks like we can afford much more there. How is it? Is it a good place to live and raise a family? How are the schools? How are the shopping places and restaurants? Only problem is the commute, my husband will be taking tolls everyday, but it'd only be 30 minutes. We read you can get a discount if you use the tolls daily too, but not sure.

We drove to Lake Nona and it was so remote and so empty, we saw only a few places to eat and shop. I'm a new driver cause I grew up in a big city, so I'm not comfortable having to take such long drive to get anywhere!

Thank you all so far, please give us more information on Clermont so we can make the right decision.

We love the weather, I don't need a huge coat anymore!
I live in Clermont, have been here since 2004.

I love it here. It's far enough to not be bothered by the crime and other big city type problems, but close enough to be convenient to everything I need.

The schools are generally "A" rated, how old are your kids? If you stay within the city limits you've got a better chance of being in the better schools.

Shopping: Belk, Target, Kohl's Penney's, Wal-Mart, Michael's, Home Depot, a bunch more, plus grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. There's very little I need to leave Clermont for.

Resturants: Many of the chains... Carrabba's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Outback, KiKi's, Cracker Barrel etc., plus some great locally owned options... San Joses, The Crooked Spoon, City Grill, Goombas to name a few.

There is a slight discount on tolls if you use Sun Pass.

You will want to keep your coat. You will still need it now and then, just not all that often. But you will regret it if you don't bring it along.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 AM

42 posts, read 105,357 times
Shaz -

I'll listen to whatever advice you have because I am actually transferring to the LM site you were thinking of -- near Lake Underhill in the next month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeagle View Post
Thanks Brink,. I was JUST getting on to note that I MUST be thinking of the wrong LM. Juanita, please disregard anything I suggested. I'm referring to a completely different side of town. Good luck and enjoy Otown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando