Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,115 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My family is relocating from the Midwest to Florida. My husband will be working in Daytona Beach area. I have 3 children (ages 6--identified as gifted, 4, 2) and I'm looking for an area which has either a private elementary school for gifted children or a public school which has a separate full-time gifted class. My husband would like his commute to be reasonable (max 45 mins?) and we would like to live in a safe, family-oriented town/city with good schools (in case the other two kids aren't gifted--ha!). We would look at buying (4 BR house, Max $375K).
Please help!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Check out the suburb of Port Orange which has very good schools (A-rated, 9s and 10s on Great Schools) and Port Orange Elementary which has a gifted program. http://myvolusiaschools.org/school/P...s/default.aspx

Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,115 times
Thanks! My husband definitely likes the distance of living in Port Orange.
I see Lake Mary mentioned a lot on this forum for family-oriented lifestyle, good schools, etc. Would the commute be long, or would he be going against traffic? My husband would be working where highways 94 and 4 intersect.
Thanks!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Lake Mary is a terrific area (I live there) and it would be around a 30 minute commute to the I-4 and I-95 area. There is really never much traffic headed that direction as Lake Mary traffic tends to head west into Orlando, and it's all highway speed...65 mph or better with the average probably around 70-75. I personally would opt for the coast as it's generally more pleasant weather and feels more like you're living in Florida which can be a good thing.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbabs View Post
Hi!
My family is relocating from the Midwest to Florida. My husband will be working in Daytona Beach area. I have 3 children (ages 6--identified as gifted, 4, 2) and I'm looking for an area which has either a private elementary school for gifted children or a public school which has a separate full-time gifted class. My husband would like his commute to be reasonable (max 45 mins?) and we would like to live in a safe, family-oriented town/city with good schools (in case the other two kids aren't gifted--ha!). We would look at buying (4 BR house, Max $375K).
Please help!
Thanks in advance!
I would seriously consider New Smyrna Beach on the beachside -- or downtown DeLand. Both of these cities have done an amazing job creating a sense of community and required resources for families to live and prosper.

My opinion is that Port Orange has reached its limits and now has "issues" of crime, gangs, delinquency, etc. that it didn't have once upon a time, when it was developing 20 years ago. While the schools there have a "history" of high ratings, they have been "stressed to the max" with new families moving in to be there and families too stressed out in that process of relocation/survival to have time for their kids to adjust to an entirely new reality for them.

New Smyrna is creating a model of "lifelong learning" for all of their citizens which includes "it takes a village to raise a child." Seniors can take classes and volunteer to help local youth. Homeless are given a leg up and are asked to give time back to the community. Children are learning to not only take care of their bodies but also help seniors and their environment. I'm pretty impressed.

DeLand has done an amazing job shifting a once dead downtown into a real, vibrant community of progressive folk also now with a focus on kids and seniors working in partnership.

I would also check with areas mentioned for private school opportunities for Montessori or associated with local Universities such as Stetson, UCF or Daytona State.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando