Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:28 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I've noticed that many that come from NY (which is a huge portion of them) are not as friendly as the ones from the Island. We had neighbors straight from the Island, man that were sooooo nice. They even mentioned to me at one time that the ones from the Northeast were definitely different, and I think he was surprised. They moved away several yrs ago, up to NC, around Charlotte area and love it. We talk every so often on the phone. Just to see how everyone is doing. We like them a lot lol.

We had another family that were from Puerto Rico but were from NYC as neighbors in same subdivision. We lived in Avalon Park area so there were a lot. They were different. They had a pit bull that they never kept on a leash which is scary since I had my oldest daughter (before my 2nd was born). He didnt seem to care or really want to be bothered when Id tell him to keep on leash. Then they left their house and moved back to NYC. They took the plate covers off the outlets, they damaged the drywall, they took anything that wasnt bolted down.

I wasn't a big fan of theirs, obviously. In fact, I was happier when they abandoned the house, watching the weeds grow on their lawn then have them as neighbors.
it just 2 different cultures, night a day. In Orlando it seems most Puerto Ricans come from New York City vs San Juan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 10:15 PM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Mexicans are usually, and unfarily, portrayed as the lowest in the hispanic food chain.
That's not even true... Are you Latino?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:42 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
One time I saw a Mexican man here in the Bronx, NY wearing a Puerto Rican hat lol.
A great majority of the people from the Dominican Republic have come illegally through Puerto Rico, and then they passed themselves as Puerto Ricans. I met many in Florida, and also from other countries like Ecuador. This lady that I started a conversation with in Orlando, exhibited the Mayan features and stating she was Puerto Rican, but Puerto Ricans do not exhibit the Mayan features of the Indians from Mexico and South America. I knew better, but said nothing. Let her think that she fooled me.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr5497 View Post
Yes, Puerto Rico has many immigrants from all over. Many Colombians, Peruvians, Mexicans, large amounts of Dominicans particularly in the San Juan area, Hatians, and surprisingly, an increasing large amounts of Palestinians and other Arab ethnicities.

To answer the question of the OP, as a Puerto Rican coming directly from the island, you see a huge difference between Puerto Ricans from the island versus Nuyoricans as well as other large northeastern cities, almost two completely different cultures. I wouldn't say the opinion is completely negative, however, from what I have observed at least, many will quickly and clearly say they are directly from the island rather than the Northeast, mainly because of negative comments geared towards Puerto Ricans here in the United States. These negative comments aren't just here in Florida, I experienced them even in New York City while I was on a vacation (I was not visiting family, since I have no family there). The majority of these negative comments come from other Latin Americans of different nationalities.

Also, I am not sure where the 90% figure posted above came from, it makes absolutely no sense.
Well, it stands to reason that if one is being raised in Puerto Rico, one will have a different view of things, compared to the one being raised in NYC. Two different places. Even if one is being brought up in a different state of the US, like California, and compared to one being brought up in Tennessee, their views and perspectives are going to be different. Again, two different states, with different agendas.

And yes, you are totally correct in your comments about other Spanish-speaking people in NYC, from other countries, being negative about Puerto Ricans, mainly because we are American Citizens from birth, and they are not, they have to work very hard to get their citizenship, so of course. they are going to resent the Puerto Ricans. I have lived in NYC most of my life, and I still get it.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPapi View Post
First of all, the U.S. does not have an official language, Puerto Ricans don't need to go back to PR,they are natural born U.S. citizens,America is a continent not a country,so they have always been AMERICANS,many Puerto Ricans also fought and gave their lives for this country,if Spanish bothers you that much,there are plenty of States in the union 90% white and English speaking,where you should be able to live happily ever after and never listen to Spanish ever again,it seems like you were the unfriendly one, and the Ricans didn't like you very much.
CaribbeanPapi: You stated it, like it is: Thank you,

Old 06-18-2018, 09:19 AM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
My only and first experience with Puerto Ricans was working with them at Disney and they were not friendly and that really irked me. I smiled and said hi and sometimes got nothing. I've lived in this country all my life and my father gave up his life in WWII and these people have the gall to snub me! HA, go back to PR. You either fit in or you don't. If your in America, BE AN AMERICAN! This is not Spanish speaking PR. I'm tired of all the Spanish recordings too even on the monorail. We speak English, HELLOOO. Learn it! they don't do this for English speaking people in their countries! they did hang around together too and one lady would always give free freebies, extra Disney bags or anything she could find and stick in the bags of merchandise PR's bought, never white folks. I should have reported her, wish I had. The only bright side was one young PR mom who was friendly and nice to me, thankfully.
Um... It's Florida. Florida has a VERY significant Spanish-speaking population. Without its heavy Latin influences, Florida would not be Florida. Its nearest neighbors, aside from Georgia, are Spanish countries/territories. A large amount of tourists who visit are Spanish/Latin.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Lots of non-english speaking countries have announcements in english as well

Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 AM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Lots of non-english speaking countries have announcements in english as well
Virtually everything in Tokyo has English translations, despite a large percentage of the population knowing very little English.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:27 PM

764 posts, read 391,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Um... It's Florida. Florida has a VERY significant Spanish-speaking population. Without its heavy Latin influences, Florida would not be Florida. Its nearest neighbors, aside from Georgia, are Spanish countries/territories. A large amount of tourists who visit are Spanish/Latin.
Arcenal. Why are you putting my old post in? I've already changed my mind on this. I went back to work at Disney and met lots of friendly Puerto Ricans. At a college my daughter went to the dean was a female Puerto Rican. Very intelligent lady. My daughter made the dean's list and the dean was so happy.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:10 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Don't forget that Florida was Spanish territory for 300 years +/-, governed for a few centuries from Santo Domingo and then from Havana. Even the state's name is in Spanish courtesy of Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de Leon. Spanish has been spoken in Florida since a century before the first English colony in North America was founded in what is now Virginia.

Real Audiencia Primada de América

April 3, 2013 was the 500th anniversary of the landing at "la Florida" by Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon.

The Tomb of Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de Leon in San Juan, Puerto Rico

Saint Augustine, Florida; the oldest European city in the continental USA was founded by the Spaniards a century before the first English colony was created.

To complain that people speak Spanish in a place as Florida is a little ridiculous, IMO. It makes more sense in states such as North Carolina or Massachussetts or even New York; but in Florida? Come on now!

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-20-2018 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando