Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 AM

93 posts, read 192,178 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am off my rocker here, but I am confused as to why it would matter what you wear or what you listen to. I am not if PR decent, but if we wanted to compare one culture to another...my best friend and I have some totally different tastes in things, yet we look past it to see the REAL person. If you are a PR who likes country music and your culture only sterotypically likes freestyle..who cares. I wonder sometimes if people look too much into the issues and worry too much about what other people will think of them. Live your life. Meet amazing and different people. Dont worry what's your cultures "norm" and embrace who YOU are!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
I dont know bout PR, but I have seen Asian/ German / Italian/ European descendants all over the Caribbean islands since before we were born they were there...

Old 03-01-2014, 02:54 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
I've noticed that many that come from NY (which is a huge portion of them) are not as friendly as the ones from the Island. We had neighbors straight from the Island, man that were sooooo nice. They even mentioned to me at one time that the ones from the Northeast were definitely different, and I think he was surprised. They moved away several yrs ago, up to NC, around Charlotte area and love it. We talk every so often on the phone. Just to see how everyone is doing. We like them a lot lol.

We had another family that were from Puerto Rico but were from NYC as neighbors in same subdivision. We lived in Avalon Park area so there were a lot. They were different. They had a pit bull that they never kept on a leash which is scary since I had my oldest daughter (before my 2nd was born). He didnt seem to care or really want to be bothered when Id tell him to keep on leash. Then they left their house and moved back to NYC. They took the plate covers off the outlets, they damaged the drywall, they took anything that wasnt bolted down.

I wasn't a big fan of theirs, obviously. In fact, I was happier when they abandoned the house, watching the weeds grow on their lawn then have them as neighbors.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 PM

626 posts, read 975,920 times
My only and first experience with Puerto Ricans was working with them at Disney and they were not friendly and that really irked me. I smiled and said hi and sometimes got nothing. I've lived in this country all my life and my father gave up his life in WWII and these people have the gall to snub me! HA, go back to PR. You either fit in or you don't. If your in America, BE AN AMERICAN! This is not Spanish speaking PR. I'm tired of all the Spanish recordings too even on the monorail. We speak English, HELLOOO. Learn it! they don't do this for English speaking people in their countries! they did hang around together too and one lady would always give free freebies, extra Disney bags or anything she could find and stick in the bags of merchandise PR's bought, never white folks. I should have reported her, wish I had. The only bright side was one young PR mom who was friendly and nice to me, thankfully.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 PM

138 posts, read 153,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
My only and first experience with Puerto Ricans was working with them at Disney and they were not friendly and that really irked me. I smiled and said hi and sometimes got nothing. I've lived in this country all my life and my father gave up his life in WWII and these people have the gall to snub me! HA, go back to PR. You either fit in or you don't. If your in America, BE AN AMERICAN! This is not Spanish speaking PR. I'm tired of all the Spanish recordings too even on the monorail. We speak English, HELLOOO. Learn it! they don't do this for English speaking people in their countries! they did hang around together too and one lady would always give free freebies, extra Disney bags or anything she could find and stick in the bags of merchandise PR's bought, never white folks. I should have reported her, wish I had. The only bright side was one young PR mom who was friendly and nice to me, thankfully.
First of all, the U.S. does not have an official language, Puerto Ricans don't need to go back to PR,they are natural born U.S. citizens,America is a continent not a country,so they have always been AMERICANS,many Puerto Ricans also fought and gave their lives for this country,if Spanish bothers you that much,there are plenty of States in the union 90% white and English speaking,where you should be able to live happily ever after and never listen to Spanish ever again,it seems like you were the unfriendly one, and the Ricans didn't like you very much.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPapi View Post
First of all, the U.S. does not have an official language, Puerto Ricans don't need to go back to PR,they are natural born U.S. citizens,America is a continent not a country,so they have always been AMERICANS,many Puerto Ricans also fought and gave their lives for this country,if Spanish bothers you that much,there are plenty of States in the union 90% white and English speaking,where you should be able to live happily ever after and never listen to Spanish ever again,it seems like you were the unfriendly one, and the Ricans didn't like you very much.

Yea, Then why are they refusing to become a state at the same time, why do a lot of them come here and get welfare? I'm very friendly. I have no idea why they aren't and why they stick together instead of being American which is getting to know people and mingling. My ancestors came from foreign countries in the late 1800's, they learned English pretty fast. The US is a "country".

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
Yea, Then why are they refusing to become a state at the same time, why do a lot of them come here and get welfare? I'm very friendly. I have no idea why they aren't and why they stick together instead of being American which is getting to know people and mingling. My ancestors came from foreign countries in the late 1800's, they learned English pretty fast. The US is a "country".
Which would be an appropriate comparison if Puerto Rico were a "foreign country". Puerto Rico is a part of this country .

Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
Honestly tho.... the whole "we're in America, speak English!" mantra is tired.
America doesn't even have an official language, so stop saying "speak english"
how bout, no.

Also, my native tongue is english. I speak english very comfortably.
However, i do not feel threatened by Spanish. so people need to chill with the english demands and getting their panties in a bunch about it.
Most european countries-- the people speak at least 2 languages.

Spanish is a european language. what would it hurt to learn some of it? god forbid u educated urselves

Old 03-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which would be an appropriate comparison if Puerto Rico were a "foreign country". Puerto Rico is a part of this country .
It's not a state it's an unincorporated territory. I heard they do not want to become a state. They don't vote in our elections, as far as I know.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPapi View Post

Gimme a break. She tells her experience and she gets this response? How would you know she was the one being unfriendly?!? She was there, were you? Come on, its ridiculous how ppl tell their OWN experiences and all of a sudden, they're the rude ones?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando