U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 15,997 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving this summer to Orlando area. We lived there 8 yrs ago for a few months but due to job not working out, had to move.

We are anxious to try it again. And maybe go back down for a visit in March to check out the area. Been to Disney World several times so I know that area.

I kinda don't want to move in Orlando per say, but want suggestions on Clermont, Celebration, or some other suburb type area. Some with decent rent with houses, town home, condos, etc. Don't want to live in an apartment. And my wife would have to find a job in the school system down there too so that would play in on where we would live too.

Anyone know about Lake County or Osceola school districts and which one may be better to work for?

Any help is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,182,311 times
Honestly if you are looking for the "Best" suburbs the answer is everything NORTH of Orlando.. Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte Springs/Longwood/Wekiva Springs, Oviedo, Lake Mary, etc.. are some of the best neighborhoods in the area and have great schools and family-friendly communities, most of Orlando's middle to upper-middle class demographic lives in these areas.. There is also a HUGE abundance of housing in these areas, lots of beautiful neighborhoods for house hunting.. In regards to schools, Seminole County traditionally has some of the best schools in the area, this includes areas from Altamonte Springs/Longwood/Wekiva Springs and northward..

I noticed you mentioned Lake and Osceola counties, is there a perticular reasons why you are looking at these areas? The largest school system in the area is Orange County (Orlando) and the second largest I believe is Seminole County.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 AM

83 posts, read 154,051 times
I would put it like that: the best suburbs of Orlando are: Winter Park, Doctor Phillips, and Windermere. All of them have excellent schools, and the real estate is priced accordingly. If you cannot afford either on of them, the rest of the choice should be based on the other factors: do you prefer busier lifestyle or would rather be located somewhere more rural? Would you like a townhome or single family? Do you plan to rent(and for how long) or to buy? Do you want to be close to the parks or rather have shorter drive to the coast?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Natasha...We live in Houston so am used to the busier life. Was trying to get in a suburb, maybe less busy? or maybe semi-rural? Would like to be fairly close to parks, but don't have to be at the main gate...lol. Probably going to just rent. And we don't have to be a crazy nice neighborhood. We are use to average neighborhoods, just don't want to be a super run down area.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,030,817 times
Look at Windermere and parts of Winter Garden. Disney is right next door but you wouldn't even know it except for the fireworks.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM

I was looking at the school districts for my wife. I work from home, so I can go anywhere but I want to live somewhere close to her work. She is is a Education Paraprofessional and looks like Seminole County schools MAY pay the best for her. Orange County didn't look like that paid well for those positions. Lake and Osceola show to be better than them too. But Seminole County and living up NE of Orlando might be the best from that regard. I guess I don't have to be that close to the parks..lol.. I would be 95% closer than I am now, so I shouldn't complain...haha..

So any suggestions for NE areas? Of course, I may just base it on where she gets a job. Prolly do some extended stay hotel stuff if I had too in order for her to get a job first and then pan out from there on housing. Maybe a good idea!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 7,624,041 times
Oviedo, which is in Seminole Co.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:34 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,182,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
I was looking at the school districts for my wife. I work from home, so I can go anywhere but I want to live somewhere close to her work. She is is a Education Paraprofessional and looks like Seminole County schools MAY pay the best for her. Orange County didn't look like that paid well for those positions. Lake and Osceola show to be better than them too. But Seminole County and living up NE of Orlando might be the best from that regard. I guess I don't have to be that close to the parks..lol.. I would be 95% closer than I am now, so I shouldn't complain...haha..

So any suggestions for NE areas? Of course, I may just base it on where she gets a job. Prolly do some extended stay hotel stuff if I had too in order for her to get a job first and then pan out from there on housing. Maybe a good idea!
Northeast would consist of everything north of UCF (University of Central Florida) which is considered Northeast of the city center.. Oviedo/Winter Springs in Seminole County is an excellent area in this quadrant with nice neighborhoods, great schools, and a small town suburbia feel but still close to shopping/highways/UCF, etc..

If you dont mind living in Orange County, Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park (East Orlando) areas are also nice and still fairly close to the Seminole/Orange county border but there is more traffic due to the university nearby..

I wouldnt be too worried about being near the theme parks, I lived in Orlando for most of my life and TRUST ME when I say, you DO NOT want to live near the theme parks, those areas are filled heavy traffic due to tourists, tourist traps everywhere, and there is no neighborhood feel, most locals try to avoid these areas, it is only nice to visit on the weekends if you have a pass to the parks..

Best of luck!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Northeast would consist of everything north of UCF (University of Central Florida) which is considered Northeast of the city center.. Oviedo/Winter Springs in Seminole County is an excellent area in this quadrant with nice neighborhoods, great schools, and a small town suburbia feel but still close to shopping/highways/UCF, etc..

If you dont mind living in Orange County, Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park (East Orlando) areas are also nice and still fairly close to the Seminole/Orange county border but there is more traffic due to the university nearby..

I wouldnt be too worried about being near the theme parks, I lived in Orlando for most of my life and TRUST ME when I say, you DO NOT want to live near the theme parks, those areas are filled heavy traffic due to tourists, tourist traps everywhere, and there is no neighborhood feel, most locals try to avoid these areas, it is only nice to visit on the weekends if you have a pass to the parks..

Best of luck!!!
LOL...you never know, I am crazy and might to live over there. I have been International Drive and those areas several times so I do know what you mean though. Maybe I want to feel like I don't live there but on a permanent vacation. HAHA. I live in Houston, a huge metro area, so I am use to dealing with heavy traffic and people but a little different with "tourist" people I know.

But yeah, I don't have to leave at the front door of Disney. Thinking about the North / NE side now. Think it might have that small town feel suburbia and still just an hour or so away from the parks. LOL

Thanks for all the tips.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 AM

14 posts, read 25,391 times
Hello,

Depending on your budget, Dr. Phillips area is close to attractions and has some of the best schools in the area. Windermere has a number of private schools, which may pay more than public system (not sure what grade your wife teaches though). Another nice thing about Dr Phillips is that its in the middle of everything - takes only minutes to go to downtown Orlando, Universal Studios, Disney etc. Another fact is that some of the Orlando's elite lives in the area and therefore the police is patrolling the area pretty vigorously - gotta keep Tiger safe from his girlfriends.

Just to give you an idea of the prices take a look at these homes in the area: Email View

Also its close to number of short term rental locations, so instead of renting an extended stay, you may be able to get a condo or a house for same of less money. Just an idea..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando