Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 10,016 times

Advertisements

I truly appreciate all the responses and the web links. I'm still set on Orlando and it looks like the jobs are here, I will just have to bite the bullet and take the pay cut, which is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
I am a recent college graduate from Washington D.C.. I am looking to relocate to Orlando I have a B.S. in IT and I am starting a masters program soon.

I have been searching for entry level IT jobs in the Orlando market but I have not had any luck. As recent graduate my home town is just becoming so expensive and the entry level salaries do not even come close to commuting costs, rent, food costs etc.. Not to mentioned the horrible traffic and overpriced public transit system. Any advice on what companies to reach out to in Orlando even if its for an Informational Interview for entry level IT. I previously had an internship job in D.C. with the federal government at 50k and that has ended. I know Orlando is cheaper. Any salary suggestions would be helpful too.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmixntrance View Post
I am a recent college graduate from Washington D.C.. I am looking to relocate to Orlando I have a B.S. in IT and I am starting a masters program soon.

I have been searching for entry level IT jobs in the Orlando market but I have not had any luck. As recent graduate my home town is just becoming so expensive and the entry level salaries do not even come close to commuting costs, rent, food costs etc.. Not to mentioned the horrible traffic and overpriced public transit system. Any advice on what companies to reach out to in Orlando even if its for an Informational Interview for entry level IT. I previously had an internship job in D.C. with the federal government at 50k and that has ended. I know Orlando is cheaper. Any salary suggestions would be helpful too.
try this site https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/Default.aspx hope it helps.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:51 AM

12 posts, read 11,879 times
To give you an idea, I'm a consultant around the NYC metro area. I just received an offer that is north of 100k for a full time position in Orlando. I have a concentration in the Microsoft stack and help companys do full scale implementations. When talking with the employeer they where really good about telling me how the market is and the other employers are around Orlando. I'm ballsy and asked because I need to know there's options if a company ever closes up shop.
I've been told that Florida and Orlando seem to be a bit of a hub for tech support centers. A larger provider and also Dell have centers around there that employ a decent chunk of people. They feed off the local colleges so there's a good market for lower paying support jobs. They told me if you went east to Dayton, you would get more money for a position like that due to the glut of available people for such jobs in central Florida.
EA (good if you want to be in Dev or QA though game industry can be tough to get in to sometimes), Symantec, Verizon, Lockhead Martin, anywhere from 6 to 10 banks have hubs downtown Orlando, and of course you could try working for an airline if theres offices there, the college, or some of the booming healthcare industry there. Do not expect salaries that you would get paid from up north or from the west coast unless you get a job there and can transfer or work remote.
I was also told that Tampa can be better for tech depending on what your looking to do.
I hope this helps anyone looking. This has been a combination of research, friends , and potential employers in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando