Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 12,662 times

Advertisements

Hi, after many years of holidays in Florida we want to buy a villa. Could someone tell me the best area around Orlando for letting etc. We usually stay in Davenport area but have stayed in Poinciana area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,787,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You'll never get a mortgage with that many boardups and foreclosures in the community. And do you really want to live in a complex with one of the highest burglary rates in the area?

Burglars Hit Foreclosed Orlando Condos - News Story - WFTV Orlando
I used to live there when it was still an apartment complex. I moved shortly after someone was robbed at gunpoint at the apt mailbox area.

People from out of the area see these things on the internet and are going to get tricked into buying a crime ridden money pit.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 12,662 times
Hi, we are thinking about buying an investment home after many years of holidaying in Florida. Could someone please tell me the best areas to purchase. We have usually stayed in the Davenport area.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 PM

181 posts, read 685,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyg123 View Post
Hi, we are thinking about buying an investment home after many years of holidaying in Florida. Could someone please tell me the best areas to purchase. We have usually stayed in the Davenport area.
I would have to say the Windermere/Winter Garden area on 535. It's a straight shot, just north of Disneyworld (7 to 9 miles) and you never have to go on 4! It also has the new outdoor shopping mall, Winter Garden Villages, right on the 429/turnpike exit, in Winter Garden on 535 also! Everytime I go there, I'm in the midst of Brits! I love it, you are all so friendly. Forgot to add there are townhouses for sale in Summerport, Newbury Park, Ashton Woods has them and Pulte.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM

18,075 posts, read 11,693,279 times
Dr Phillips, FL -

Whenever I see this name, I think of maybe a famous accomplished surgeon. I looked it up and see he was a Farmer. The picture of the Performing Arts is a modern building.

Do tell me more about this area. Small town feel? Miles of farmland on both sides of the roads?

Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 AM

2,124 posts, read 4,482,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Dr Phillips, FL -

Whenever I see this name, I think of maybe a famous accomplished surgeon. I looked it up and see he was a Farmer. The picture of the Performing Arts is a modern building.

Do tell me more about this area. Small town feel? Miles of farmland on both sides of the roads?
I grew up in Dr. Phillips (and still live there when I'm not away at college), it's my favorite community in Orlando... but I'm probably biased Dr. Phillips was a citrus pioneer of sorts.. I think he was one of the first to mass-produce orange juice. He owned a bunch of the land down there when it was orange groves. His family later developed the area after he died, and Arnold Palmer built the Bay Hill community.. that was the beginning of the Dr. Phillips area.

It doesn't really have a small town feel because it's incredibly busy. Still suburban, though. It's between Universal Studios/International Drive and Disney World, so there's a lot of people and lots of things to do. There's no farmland until you get out past Windermere lol. There's tons of shopping, like the Millenia Mall, Prime Outlets, Festival Bay, etc. and the famed "restaurant row" on Sand Lake Rd. that hosts three upscale shopping centers and of course, a bunch of restaurants. It's also right near I-4 so downtown isn't very far away.

It's considered one of the more upscale areas to live in Orlando, lots of gated communities, mansions, fancy condos. Of course there's also a big middle-class that lives in slightly older communities with 70's and 80's ranch-style houses and apartments. Everything is generally very well-kept.

If you have any more questions about the area, just ask!

Last edited by brinkofsunshine; 04-14-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM

I need to change my user name! We are moving back to FL on May 28th. I'm excited about it but the hassle is huge. The sale of our GA house has been a headache and we still have to find a home in FL, probably a short sale, which will add to the headache, esp with 2 kids under 4 and 2 dogs.

We have good memories of FL, even though I know it has changed a lot since we left 4 years ago. We learned that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else and that family ties are more important. Also there is a such thing as winter ~ yuck! I don't do well with it at all. I need heat, humidity, and most important, bright light!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Those old news clips make me miss the local news personalities of Central FL. I can't wait to get back and watch some of my old favorite people again.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,646,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Those old news clips make me miss the local news personalities of Central FL. I can't wait to get back and watch some of my old favorite people again.
Notice how the 2nd video introduced Bob Opsahl, Bob Jordan, Danny Treanor for weather, and it also mentioned Marty Salt in the news cast.

Bob Jordan is now the head director of the station, Bob Opsahl and Marty Salt are still the two main anchors and Danny Treanor is the weather man on a different Orlando news station. The other man who was introduced last is no longer with the station, but he is the father of the TV/Disney star Kristen Storms.

Here is a video of Marty Salt and Bob Opsahl today on the same channel:

YouTube - WFTV Channel 9 Eyewitness News

Old 04-18-2010, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Does anyone in here know Clermont and if theres a forum for this place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando