Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times

Advertisements

I was greeted and welcomed by 5 of my 6 nearest neighbors when we moved in. We had offers of furniture on loan until our van arrived....and we had very nice wine and crystal brought over as a welcoming gesture. Warm and friendly folks here in Ft Myers.

Walking the dogs I have met many of the folks on neighboring streets, many of whom carry dog biscuits in their pockets to give my girls.

On Halloween, several neighbors invited us to join them outside where we set up tables and did Trick or Treat as a neighborhood thing.....(wine and cheeses for us...candy for the kids.) It was fun.

I have never lived in such a friendly neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,996,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
I'm a quiet guy. I mind my own business. I don't like to bother others. I will say "hi" and smile at people. But not much of a chit chatter. So I hope I will not be considered an unfriendly neighbor. I'm a good citizen. If there is a problem I can help. But I like my privacy and respect yours.
This is me, exactly. (Well, except the "guy" part.) I moved into my new neighborhood six months ago, and I've met the people on both sides of me, and they're very pleasant, but I'm really not interested in becoming friends with them. We smile and wave when we see each other -- that's enough for me.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
I agree the under 40 crowd is less likely to socialize face-to-face with their neighbors. I find a lot of people dont want to get caught up in the "can I borrow your ...." or the "can you come by to give me a hand with..."

You may have a social media page for your town. Check it out. There are people more likely to socialize in person there or at least are active in the on line world. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow57 View Post
OK, Just wondering why my new neighborhood is not friendly. Thought that since there are so many of us that are from other states people would be anxious to make new friends, or at least make an introduction. Not really. Didn't meet my right next door neighbors on either side until 2 months in I introduced myself and brought over cookies. The other side never came over to say hi and she is the president of the HOA. The only people who introduced themselves are the ones that happen to be walking on the street as I was outside. They say hi, where are you from and then never to be heard from. I even started a Next door website and can't get people to participate.....a friend of mine says it is a microcosm of what is going on in the bigger world. People aren't as apt to reach out. He says that the generation that is over 40 had the experience of wanting to welcome new people in, get to know them and offer advice on the new area. The younger generation is not interested in this and has not been coached to be hospitable in this way. Save me the "be the neighbor you want to meet" speech. I am really looking for people who have experienced this also and what their thoughts are. I am tired of bringing the cakes over to the newer people and never hearing from them again. I seriously want to look into that "retirement" community only to get into a neighborhood that is at least friendly if my friends thoughts are right. I told my military wife friend that I thought maybe the neighbors move too often so they don't want to invest themselves in relationships. She said that is more reason to get to know someone. 6 months here and no prospect of friends so looking elsewhere. It is difficult when not employed and 1000 miles away from the old home. A welcome would have been so nice. Some thoughts on why people are so to themselves would be interesting to hear.
Signed
Not Baking any more cakes

Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We lived in NJ for 12 years and were not friends with ANY of our neighbors in our apartment and then our house. We had plenty of friends, just not in our immediate neighborhood. We were cordial and neighborly (my husband helped one neighbor pull out some shrubs and you could borrow an egg) but certainly not friends. Geography has nothing to do with friendship. The sooner you figure that out, the sooner you'll actually find some friends.
Another gem from Annerk. I agree with you 100%.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Quote:
We lived in NJ for 12 years and were not friends with ANY of our neighbors in our apartment and then our house. We had plenty of friends, just not in our immediate neighborhood. We were cordial and neighborly (my husband helped one neighbor pull out some shrubs and you could borrow an egg) but certainly not friends. Geography has nothing to do with friendship. The sooner you figure that out, the sooner you'll actually find some friends.
This is very true! I've now moved to 10 different cities in my life from Alaska to Florida and some in between as well as Australia. Geography plays no part in friendships, if you are an enjoyable person to be around, you will make friends no matter where in the world you live. I'm speaking from experience.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
FL is filled with transients and transplants. I heard this and witnessed it a lot. It's what new communities in FL are like now.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 PM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
I don't know about all of Fl----Miami still has block parties- and lots of social life! and when I visited DC- I talked to all kinds of people --I was awed- very, very friendly... and that was this year. Even chatted with the lady feeding the squirrels at the Mall- the policemen at the Smithsonian, the guy at MCD's asked me where there was a tailor- just happened that I knew and then later spoke to me again. Lots of talk going on waiting on my sandwich, the light- the cab-- and with the other people in training. I dont know people - It is not the NYorkers, the Washingtonians or the Miami heat.... ?? You tell me

Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
FL is filled with transients and transplants. I heard this and witnessed it a lot. It's what new communities in FL are like now.
We have more friends in our neighborhood in Florida than we did in any neighborhood in NJ or NY since we were children. That said, we've been here 10 years, and those friendships developed over that time. They weren't immediate.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Just because they are transients and transplants does not make them bad people to be around.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
We have more friends in our neighborhood in Florida than we did in any neighborhood in NJ or NY since we were children. That said, we've been here 10 years, and those friendships developed over that time. They weren't immediate.
Yep. Friendships build over time. Socialization is what leads to friendships. You have to learn about them and they about you. If it clicks, its good. Doesnt always happen that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando